FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Dying Battery or Phantom Drain

Current custodian of 2109 Ozzie's Avatar

My VIN:    2109

Club(s):   (DCF)

Quote Originally Posted by orbitron3000 View Post
    I'm hoping this isn't the case, but I'll make sure.

I have the DMCH Digital Door Lock ECU, if that helps.

The radio in the car has a detachable faceplate, which i had removed -- I don't know if that would still draw power or not.

I don't think the car has fanzilla, but it does have upgraded fan fail modules.

I'm going to go later tonight with a different multimeter to try and get a different reading. Hopefully, this is all user error...
    Yeah the radio's head unit will still draw standby current, w/o the face plate.
    Hate to ask but: Sure you're reading it right? Maybe it's showing 16mA...with that digital door lock unit, I wouldn't be surprised that is your car's standby current.
    Last edited by Ozzie; 01-27-2012 at 10:19 PM.
    Personal Blog: DeLorean Ownership & Upkeep (Yeah, it hasn't been updated in a while, but some good stuff there if you look.)
    ->Last posting:"Smooth shifting on a 30+ year old car."
    ->Most read posting:"Going 100% LEDs on your car is a good idea, and more feasible than ever."

My VIN:    5780

Quote Originally Posted by Ozzie View Post
    Yeah the radio's head unit will still draw standby current, w/o the face plate.
    Hate to ask but: Sure you're reading it right? Maybe it's showing 16mA...with that digital door lock unit, I wouldn't be surprised that is your car's standby current.
    I'm fairly certain I'm reading the display correctly. With the dial on the mA it read "00.16". I did notice that when it was reading in terms of Amps, it read "0.016", which would make more sense. I could have mistaken the decimal place on the mA setting for something else. I will try to take a picture of the meter so that the mystery can be solved. Either I can't read the multimeter or my car is watching it's electrical intake...(probably the former)

OK so I've managed to capture exactly what the multimeters say. I set these up with two different multimeters.

The setup is this: I've removed the black (negative / ground) cable from the battery's negative terminal. The red cable remains connected to the battery's positive terminal. As shown in all three images, the red multimeter prong is connected to the VmAO port on the multimeter, and the black prong is connected to the COM port on the multimeter.

In so far as bridging the connection, I've connected the red multimeter prong to the black cable from the car, and the black multimeter prong to the battery's negative terminal. These are the results:

Digital Multimeter, on mA setting:
    IMG_20120128_002302.jpg

Digital Multimeter, on A setting:
    IMG_20120128_002311.jpg

Analog Multimeter, on 250 mA setting:
    IMG_20120128_004441.jpg

I'm hoping other people are as confused about these readings as I am. The analog one (which I know has a working fuse because I replaced it shortly before testing with it) has the strangest results.

On a related note, I tested the voltage on the battery again. It read 12.29 V, a drop of 0.01 V from just about 4 or 5 hours ago.

My VIN:    03572

Looks like your DVM meter fuse is blown for reading current. Very common to blow that fuse by accidently touching the probes to voltage when plugged into current jacks.

Your analog meter is reading 52 ma which is higher than I would expect to see in our cars. That current draw would drain a lot of power from the battery in a week or two.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

+1

to be sure try to measure another circuit with the DMM or turn something on that needs
    just some few more milliamps and see what difference the display says.

one of the interior lights, glove box, plug in a cell phone or navi charger...

Current custodian of 2109 Ozzie's Avatar

My VIN:    2109

Club(s):   (DCF)

Win: Analog meter.
    Good way to isolate the issue to the meter.
    Once you get the digital one back up, or you could continue with the analog: You are off on your drain hunt.
    Personal Blog: DeLorean Ownership & Upkeep (Yeah, it hasn't been updated in a while, but some good stuff there if you look.)
    ->Last posting:"Smooth shifting on a 30+ year old car."
    ->Most read posting:"Going 100% LEDs on your car is a good idea, and more feasible than ever."

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    Looks like your DVM meter fuse is blown for reading current. Very common to blow that fuse by accidently touching the probes to voltage when plugged into current jacks.

Your analog meter is reading 52 ma which is higher than I would expect to see in our cars. That current draw would drain a lot of power from the battery in a week or two.
    +1

Double check, but I believe there are only two options for that particular meter- For measuring amperage greater than 0.4 Amps, you use the Left two probe ports ("10A" and "COM"). For ALL other mesurements use the right two....

If you measured voltage... then fliped to "mA" without moving the probe over to "10A" and the door was open - GOT YA!
    Last edited by Ron; 01-28-2012 at 11:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    +1

Double check, but I believe there are only two options for that particular meter- For measuring amperage greater than 0.4 Amps, you use the Left two probe ports ("10A" and "COM"). For ALL other mesurements use the right two....

If you measured voltage... then fliped to "mA" without moving the probe over to "10A" and the door was open - GOT YA!
    This makes the most sense -- the DMM does have a 10A port, so I ought to be able to still measure with it in that one...still have to replace the fuse

My VIN:    5180

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Not to hijack this thread:

Is their a simple way to add a 12V Li standby Clock/Radio memory battery that could last for weeks/months if the main battery is disconnected during extended periods of inactivity?
    DENNIS

VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE II​, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, M Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, REAL MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.

My VIN:    3472 (former)

Club(s):   (DCVA) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by DMC5180 View Post
    Not to hijack this thread:

Is their a simple way to add a 12V Li standby Clock/Radio memory battery that could last for weeks/months if the main battery is disconnected during extended periods of inactivity?
    When considerate auto shops have to disconnect a customer's battery, they use a little device that's basically just a 9V battery that you can plug into a cigarette lighter to retain the memory in all the computers. Not sure how long it'd last for long term purposes, but I know they're cheap and easy to use.

EDIT: Here's an example just to illustrate, doesn't have the best reviews though: http://www.amazon.com/12V-Automotive.../dp/B002C0NP5I

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast