FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Roadside Emergency Kit

Banned

My VIN:    16510 and carbureted

Club(s):   (GCD) (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Notifier View Post
    That's part of why I went with the can of fix-a-flat. Personally, I've never used a can of fix-a-flat with the exception in my wheelbarrow! I question how well it really works. But I figured go with it because it will do both. In reality, I would probably grab the spare first, the fix-a-flat would be as a backup or if there's a situation where I've got a flat on a shoulder less road and my first priority is getting to a safe place to stop.
    I've never purchased a can of fix a flat in my life. I just carry a full size spare.

Just for giggles I replaced one of my normal tires with my spare tire today and drove about 50 miles today at speeds up to 70 mph.

This was my first time testing the spare and I must say the car handled jut as good as with a regular tire. I was able to do things I wouldn't dare do with a temporarily patched tire. I plan to drive at least 70 miles on it tomorrow as well.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1335406299.659001.jpg

My friends think I'm nuts jawn101's Avatar

My VIN:    02100

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by stevedmc View Post
    I've never purchased a can of fix a flat in my life. I just carry a full size spare.

Just for giggles I replaced one of my normal tires with my spare tire today and drove about 50 miles today at speeds up to 70 mph.

This was my first time testing the spare and I must say the car handled jut as good as with a regular tire. I was able to do things I wouldn't dare do with a temporarily patched tire. I plan to drive at least 70 miles on it tomorrow as well.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1335406299.659001.jpg
    I would be very curious to hear the experiences of anyone (pictures a huge plus, although I could just go do the swap I suppose) who's driven on the original compact spare. Specifically with it on a rear wheel. Does the whole car sit at a bizarre angle? It would have to I guess.
    Jon
    1981 DMC-12 #02100. July 1981. 5-speed, black, grooved w/flap.
    restoration log, March 2011 to present
    full and detailed photo restoration log

Banned

I hope you mean the stock spare wheel with new rubber. It would be Insane to use 30 year old rubber as a spare.

My friends think I'm nuts jawn101's Avatar

My VIN:    02100

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by stevedmc View Post
    I hope you mean the stock spare wheel with new rubber. It would be Insane to use 30 year old rubber as a spare.
    Ha. Of course

(I knew there was something I meant to replace)

OT: anyone else really like the look of the original spare wheel? I think it's really cool looking. Call me crazy.
    Jon
    1981 DMC-12 #02100. July 1981. 5-speed, black, grooved w/flap.
    restoration log, March 2011 to present
    full and detailed photo restoration log

Banned

For what it's worth, I was going to swap the spare with a rear tire but when I realized i didn't have room in the trunk for a rear wheel I decided against it. In a real world situation I would just wrap the flat (rear tire) in a blanket and sit it on the passenger seat. I was too lazy to do this today.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3