Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Roadside Emergency Kit

My VIN:    01955

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmyvonviggle View Post
    Of course Some duct tape never hurt.
    And Zip Ties.

My VIN:    802

Club(s):   (DMA)

I like the idea of carrying around extra relays. Actually thought about including them originally. What I would do is at the point where I change out all the relays as a preventive maintenance, I will take the old relays and put them in the kit.

Belts - I was actually looking at them the other day and thought I should keep spares actually in the car, not in my garage. Again, like that idea.

AAA card (or similar program) a must. I actually already have one in my wallet, covers all my vehicles anyway. Also, duh, cell phone. But again, something you may normally carry.

I was debating between the can of fix a flat (not a big fan anyway) and just having a small air compressor. I still may change my mind on that one. Or maybe just keep $2 in quarters in the kit this way if I have a tire running low I can stop at the closest gas station and get my 2 minutes with the air compressor.

I love the tablet idea, not only for on the road but even when you are in the garage working on the vehicle. I think you can pick up inexpensive tablets for under $200, but who knows how the quality is! Would be nice to make that database searchable.

But the idea here for me at least is the "quick fix", situation like an accident, or total break down. I could keep every tool and a case of spare parts on the vehicle all the time, for me it isn't practical. If the vehicle breaks down and it isn't something stupid like a bad fuse, relay, disconnected plug, low tire, or such, time to call the tow truck and deal with it in the comfort of the garage, not on the side of the interstate! In reality, everyone has a skill level they are comfortable with. And of course having such supplies on hand isn't an excuse for ignoring basic maintenance; checking fluids, tires, bulbs, etc.

I've always kept something similar in my vehicles and yea, it's come in handy at times. Once I was visiting my sister and she needed me to change out a light switch for her. Ran out to the car, grabbed a screw driver and wire cutters. Not truly an emergency or car related but got the job done being two hours from home!

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Funnel (collapsible?)?
    Small wrench Set, or swap socket set for combo?
    Adjustable for backuping up/odd/larger sizes...?
    Surprised about no gas can (empty)!

Quote Originally Posted by thirdmanj View Post
    I've been told that if one uses "fix-a-flat" in a tire, said tire will have to be replaced and is not repairable. Anyone else hear about this?
    I worked in a Sears Auto and fix-a-flat doesn't ruin the tire. It just makes it messy and you have to take the tire off the rim to clean it out so it can be balanced. I would only use it as a last resort though, and dont drive on it long.

My VIN:    01643

Club(s):   (DCF) (DCO) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick C View Post
    Spare relay, spare belts, spare fuel pump and you're good to go.
    +1
    As long as you have a screwdriver to remove the access panel and hose clamps, 2 hex drivers for the terminals, and an adjustable wrench for the banjo bolt, you can change a fuel pump on the side of the road easily in under 30 min.

I never went anywhere without a spare fuel pump. I even carried extra spark plugs and injectors for a while.

One of those purists you keep hearing about. sdg3205's Avatar

My VIN:    thirty two 'o five

Club(s):   (PNDC)

I've been told that if one uses "fix-a-flat" in a tire, said tire will have to be replaced and is not repairable. Anyone else hear about this?
    Yup.
    Dave

Here, somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Notifier View Post
    I wanted to come up with a set of supplies...
    Great list!

What I've learned is it wont ruin anything but will make the wheel unbalanced. Its a great option when you are in a bind but you'll eventually want to take the tire to a repair shop and have them take the tire off the rim, clean, repair and rebalance the tire.
    eBay selling at it's best I can tell you stock Delorians and quite a bit of slugs so the Turbo is a super nice up-grade.
    K-Jet: Causing electrical issues since November 5th 1955

My VIN:    5311

I'm shocked to see none of you have any flares in your kits. Cars do break down at night too, you know. You really don't want anyone crashing into you if you're stranded dead on the side of an unlit section of road at 2 in the morning.

I carry at least 3 in every car. If you don't have them, you should definitely add them.

Quote Originally Posted by Notifier View Post
    I was debating between the can of fix a flat (not a big fan anyway) and just having a small air compressor. I still may change my mind on that one. Or maybe just keep $2 in quarters in the kit this way if I have a tire running low I can stop at the closest gas station and get my 2 minutes with the air compressor.
    This doesn't make sense to me. An air compressor won't do shit for a punctured tire but fix-a-flat will temporarily patch it AND fill the tire. It shouldn't be an either-or decision in my mind, since neither is a replacement or substitute for the other.
    Last edited by ccurzio; 02-01-2012 at 07:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ebrakespin View Post
    I worked in a Sears Auto and fix-a-flat doesn't ruin the tire. It just makes it messy and you have to take the tire off the rim to clean it out so it can be balanced. I would only use it as a last resort though, and dont drive on it long.
    Quote Originally Posted by sean View Post
    What I've learned is it wont ruin anything but will make the wheel unbalanced. Its a great option when you are in a bind but you'll eventually want to take the tire to a repair shop and have them take the tire off the rim, clean, repair and rebalance the tire.
    +2

Now the valve stem is a different story...

My VIN:    802

Club(s):   (DMA)

Quote Originally Posted by Accipiter View Post
    This doesn't make sense to me. An air compressor won't do shit for a punctured tire but fix-a-flat will temporarily patch it AND fill the tire. It shouldn't be an either-or decision in my mind, since neither is a replacement or substitute for the other.
    That's part of why I went with the can of fix-a-flat. Personally, I've never used a can of fix-a-flat with the exception in my wheelbarrow! I question how well it really works. But I figured go with it because it will do both. In reality, I would probably grab the spare first, the fix-a-flat would be as a backup or if there's a situation where I've got a flat on a shoulder less road and my first priority is getting to a safe place to stop.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast