FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Strange question of the day. Anyone familiar, work with aluminum???

My VIN:    1597

Strange question of the day. Anyone familiar, work with aluminum???

I collect rare guitars and just received a Jackson Roswell guitar. Its themed after the Roswell New Mexico UFO event and made from aluminum. Few were made 1n 1996 so after a long wait bought the first one in this condition that came up.
    Now the question.
    The guitar has a blemish.Hard to take a good pic of but it originally was probably a booboo like a screw driver fell on it. Its a very small indentation but I think made worse when someone tried to sand it smooth.
    The description says its 6061-T6 aircraft grade hand brushed aluminum.
    As a rule you do not much with a repair of a very valuable anything,especially vintage guitars but being metal,I thought I would at least entertain the idea.
    Dont want to make it worse but if I could get rid of the scratching,lines just like on the Delorean. The D has that grain effect just like the guitar.
    So any ideas to reduce and blend the scratching would be welcomed. Thanks!
    Attached Images
    "Owning a Delorean is like frying bacon naked."

It is going to be tricky to recover that spot. One option that works with brass and sometimes aluminum is to buy two really powerful sphere magnets....maybe 1/2" diameter. Drop one into the guitar and roll the other on the outside. Draw the magnets to adhere to each other with the guitar surface in between them. The pressure between the magnets will even out the spot. You can put thin rubber on the outside to keep the magnet from scratching.

Also, you can do it with a steel ball bearing on the inside and a much larger 1-1.5" diameter magnetic sphere on the outside. Then you can try different size bearings and get potentially different action on the defect.

Try kjmagnetics.com

Good luck!

My VIN:    1597

Actually the indentation,defect whatever does not bother me as bad as does the scratching. In the pics they appear brighter than the surrounding area.Its like someone took a piece of sandpaper and tried to smooth it out. All they did was highlight the area. I can tell its a very soft metal so maybe a polish to lessen the scratches?
    I dunno? Maybe give it a story like it was damage from the crash and leave it be.
    "Owning a Delorean is like frying bacon naked."

My VIN:    4456 - Owner since March 2011

Club(s):   (PNDC)

I would suggest you leave it as is. The worst thing you could do is make it worse. Then it not only is noticable but you get to live with the fact that it was you that made it that way.

Let the guitar show it's history and be zen with it.

Steven
    Cheers
    Steven Maguire

IT'S A TRAP!!!!!

Let's see if you bastards can do 90. dvonk's Avatar

My VIN:    loading, please wait...

+1, id just leave it alone for fear of worsening the damage.
    Obtain-O-Meter: 128%
    as of 2016/08/04
    0%|====|====|====|====|====50%====|====|====|====|====|100%