FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: What is this plug behind motor?

My VIN:    07190

What is this plug behind motor?

Just poking around engine compartment tonightt and noticed this plug just hanging out not plugged into anything. Does anyone know what it is for/should it be plugged in somewhere? It is located behind the motor by the firewall approx right in the center. Looks to hae two terminals and 3-4 wires going to it.
    Attached Images
    1988 4Runner Convertible (Daily Driver)
    1978 Corvette Indy Pace Car
    1987 Buick Grand National
    1981 Delorean DMC-12 (07190)
    2000 Buell X-1
    2008 Buell 1125R
    2008 Cadillac Escalade EXT Platinum (tow vehicle)

One of those purists you keep hearing about. sdg3205's Avatar

My VIN:    thirty two 'o five

Club(s):   (PNDC)

doesn't go anywhere. I have the same thing and asked the same question. The consensus seemed to be the harnesses had some variation and some plugs (like the one for the auto trans up front by the idle micro switch) don't go anywhere on some cars.
    Dave

Here, somewhere.

Thanks

I thought that I had read somewhere that this was the case, but just wanted to be sure. I also have a white plug in the relay compartment (by the top where the main bulkheads come through) that I think is for the AT computer as well. I will have to get a pict of that one to confirm as well.
    2000 Buell X-1
    2008 Buell 1125R

My VIN:    02075

Club(s):   (DMA)

I came to the same conclusion. My doesn't have any sign of that connector (earlier build, VIN 2075). A friend's 83 had the connector & I could not trace it to being anything in the documentation or wiring diagram.

DMC-CA cams & custom Flowmaster muffler
    1/4 mile time - 16.792s @ 81.45MPH

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by theMonch View Post
    I thought that I had read somewhere that this was the case, but just wanted to be sure. I also have a white plug in the relay compartment (by the top where the main bulkheads come through) that I think is for the AT computer as well. I will have to get a pict of that one to confirm as well.
    Maybe get the colors of the wires for both plugs too...

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

The white plug in the relay compartment was supposed to be for the hot start relay. Nothing gets plugged into it on the auto or the 5-speed. On the 5-speeds, there are some plugs in front of the motor that are used only for the automatic. There was only one wiring harness for the Delorean. Some parts of it are not used for the 5-speed. Some of the plugs hanging could also be for the diagnostic plug. Many times the diagnostic plug is removed and the wires and plugs connecting to it are left hanging.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    5180

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

The White 2-pin connector does not go to the Diagnostic plug. The Diagnostic plug connector is the 2 wire Black one seen in the photo. The empty connector appears to be 1 black wire and Double wire (Black/Green) I wonder If it is tied into the idle switch circuit.

Btw: I also see in the photo The 1/8 in Vaccuum line (Heater valve) is pinched or kinked in the back ground.
    DENNIS

VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE II​, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, M Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, REAL MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.

My VIN:    03572

Quote Originally Posted by DMC5180 View Post
    The White 2-pin connector does not go to the Diagnostic plug. The Diagnostic plug connector is the 2 wire Black one seen in the photo. The empty connector appears to be 1 black wire and Double wire (Black/Green) I wonder If it is tied into the idle switch circuit.

Btw: I also see in the photo The 1/8 in Vaccuum line (Heater valve) is pinched or kinked in the back ground.
    I think that is for the capacitor that goes on the idle speed switch (advance solenoid). Most early cars had that capacitor up near the switch. Many cars don't have one (mine is one) and later cars put it near the solenoid (closer to the source of the noise).
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

Quote Originally Posted by DMC5180 View Post

Great eye on that vacuum line. I pulled it and cut the melted section out and grafted back together with reg rubber line.
    2000 Buell X-1
    2008 Buell 1125R

My VIN:    5180

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by theMonch View Post
    Great eye on that vacuum line. I pulled it and cut the melted section out and grafted back together with reg rubber line.
    Glad you were able to fix it.
    DENNIS

VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE II​, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, M Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, REAL MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.