FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Retrosound Model One install

My VIN:    802

Club(s):   (DMA)

Quote Originally Posted by Kenny_Z View Post
    It needs something...it doesn't look finished and I'm not referring to my lousy job cutting the plastic.
    What about instead of the black plastic you went with a stainless steel faceplate? Trimmed out in black might look nice. Then you can add a DeLorean wording to it in the same gray color as the pin striping.

My VIN:    1058

Talking

Oh man...The model one. I have no idea why my car ate three of those but they only last 6 month aprox. So here is my tip. If it breaks or goes on the fritz do not replace it with another one. They have great customer service so you will always get a new one, but just try to get your money back if things go bad. I would buy a new din style center console from delorean motors and keep your old one. That way nothing gets cut. Also you can get a din radio that you can change the colors on to match your dash controls.

I ended up shooting my model one with a .45 and posting a video on youtube. I also got speakers from them for a were sorry gift. I should have never put them in either. They have no visible magnet on the back and i have the bass turned all the way down to keep them from popping.

My VIN:    4534

I just don't like the look of a din style in older cars. My mustang has a din and it just doesn't fit the car. The previous owner cut the dash or I'd go back to a old style radio.

I'm not sure if the stainless would blend in that area. I could try it though, maybe I'll make a test plate from some scrap aluminum I have.
    Red
    VIN 4534
    Born - October 1981
    Brought back to life - July 2011

My VIN:    802

Club(s):   (DMA)

Quote Originally Posted by Kenny_Z View Post
    I'm not sure if the stainless would blend in that area. I could try it though, maybe I'll make a test plate from some scrap aluminum I have.
    I suggested that because I have the DMOCO stainless shift plate installed and to me breaks up the monotonous black look of the center dash area. But you do need something there to dress it up. Guess the new radio didn't come with any sort of trim plate for under the knobs or is that is?

And yea, agree with you about the single DIN look, this car needs a radio with knob shafts but options are limited.

One of my favorite things about the dash is the blacked out look. Though I did like the way the chrome radio dials added a tasteful amount of shine. I'm going to give the stainless a shot.

That plate installed is what comes with the universal kit. I did get another faceplate with it but it is for a Jaguar and doesn't fit the knob spacing.
    Red
    VIN 4534
    Born - October 1981

Up until yesterday I have had zero issues from this radio. Now I've got all 4 speakers dying at the exact same time. I looked up the symptom on the Retrosound website and one of my wires could be shorting out causing all 4 speakers to go down at once. I'm going to check on it tomorrow. I didn't do anything in the console but I did put a decent amount of pressure on it while I was working on bolting down the roof. I wonder if I cut into a wire.

As for the looks, I decided to just paint the faceplate with a semigloss black. Trying to get any sort of writing on it was just useless. I'd need to have a print shop make something.

Red
    VIN 4534
    Born - October 1981

Just to give everyone an update on this radio. The issue I was having involved me shutting the battery off constantly. Once I was brave enough to just leave the battery turned on the radio hasn't stopped working. I've had it installed nearly a year and it has worked well. Just recently I started hearing a high pitched sound coming through the speakers. I think my ground cable has come loose. I can tell it is worse when I turn on the headlights. I'll be going into the console on my next day off and fixing this problem.

I'm happy with my Retrosound and I'm in the planning stages of my subwoofer project.
    Red
    VIN 4534
    Born - October 1981

I hope you have better luck than i did with the model one. It always went out after about a year and it was always mid summer when it stopped working. I think its from the heat. They gave me three new units before i ended up saying enough and sold it on ebay new in the box. Long story short..If it goes nuts on you do not put another one in. Do not put another one in! No! If one goes nuts the next one will also. Cool functions though huh..

My VIN:    2245

I also went through 3 of them, They each lasted about a year. The first one just stopped working, then next two the screens stopped working. I really liked this radio when it worked. I have the third one in my car, still plays mp3's but can't see whats playing and the buttons are all scrambled.

Yep what he said. I had the same scrambling button issue and face readout not working on all the units that i had. Might be my hot summer climate though. Also i just started back up on the forum and i am sorry for posting twice saying the same thing. I didnt realize that i had already visited this post some time back.

I do agree that a knob style radio fits the Delorean design well but no one makes a good replacement.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast