FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Thread: Tail light boards and LEDs

Current custodian of 2109 Ozzie's Avatar

My VIN:    2109

Club(s):   (DCF)

Quote Originally Posted by DeLorean03 View Post
    Hey Ozzie,

I assume you have to replace all 4 flashers/taillights (2 flashers in front, 2 taillights in back) when installing the new LED flasher relay to see the results. I put in LEDs in just the taillights (last year) and got no response, so I'm assuming you have to both the fronts and the backs with LEDs before you see the circuit working as it should.
    As soon as you put one LED in either front or back indicators, you need the new relay. The new relay is compatible with both incandescent and LED bulbs. The stock relay is stuck in the late 70's looking for incandescent bulbs only.
    Personal Blog: DeLorean Ownership & Upkeep (Yeah, it hasn't been updated in a while, but some good stuff there if you look.)
    ->Last posting:"Smooth shifting on a 30+ year old car."
    ->Most read posting:"Going 100% LEDs on your car is a good idea, and more feasible than ever."

My VIN:    3299

Gotcha,

So you think I could run LEDs in front for the running lights and incads in the back for the taillights and all would be good? I may or may not put LEDs in. I dunno - doesn't seem like a huge deal to me. Brake, running, and reverse - absolutely. Running lights in front..yeah... I can see the need to cut the heat down. Tailights: meh. But if I have to do both at once.....might as well .
    DMCTalk.org Moderator

Actual snippet of a conversation from Sept 2013:

Me: Eddie, I can't wait to get the car back when you're done with it.

Eddie: Yeah, you'll be able to give the car gas, and it won't be - like - embarrassing....

Current custodian of 2109 Ozzie's Avatar

My VIN:    2109

Club(s):   (DCF)

Quote Originally Posted by DeLorean03 View Post
    Gotcha,

So you think I could run LEDs in front for the running lights and incads in the back for the taillights and all would be good? I may or may not put LEDs in. I dunno - doesn't seem like a huge deal to me. Brake, running, and reverse - absolutely. Running lights in front..yeah... I can see the need to cut the heat down. Tailights: meh. But if I have to do both at once.....might as well .
    I haven't tried it, but I don't see why it would not work to mix them.

If you mean by "tailights" the indicators, there isn't a burning justification to replace them with LEDs. I will say though that when the incandescent indicators were flashing, I used see the needle on the Voltage gauge dip in rhythm with the flashing. With LEDs that effect is hardly noticeable, due to the reduced load on the system.
    Personal Blog: DeLorean Ownership & Upkeep (Yeah, it hasn't been updated in a while, but some good stuff there if you look.)
    ->Last posting:"Smooth shifting on a 30+ year old car."
    ->Most read posting:"Going 100% LEDs on your car is a good idea, and more feasible than ever."

My VIN:    03572

The only bulbs I kept on my car are the reverse lights. LEDs are not quite good enough to project light like an incandescent. Now for indicators (looking directly at them) LEDs have not problem exceeding incandescent lighting.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5