FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Head unit opinions?

My friends think I'm nuts jawn101's Avatar

My VIN:    02100

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Head unit opinions?

So as a reward to myself for accomplishing so many *important* things on the D, I want to treat us both to a new stereo. I have new rear speakers already, and of course the new fronts will be the Infinity 329CFs. The new DIN faceplate will come from DMCH, and that just leaves one question.... which head unit?!

After doing a little reading, I think I like the JVC KD-R820BT (http://www.crutchfield.com/p_105KDR8...KD-R820BT.html), because:
    • Bluetooth (both phone control and audio streaming)
    • Front USB port (good for charging the phone)
    • Adjustable color settings to match the HVAC panel
    • Pretty decent looks that shouldn't clash with the D's interior

But, of course... input is better than decision making in a vacuum. Anyone have other suggestions or experiences to share? Something you like better?

Edit: looks like the R820 might have been superceded by the R900? (http://www.amazon.com/JVC-Color-Illu.../dp/B001PLBWUK) Any thoughts on that one?

My VIN:    03238 Grey & Black Hybrid - Auto - work in progress Former owner 10902 - Universal 93 Raffle Car

I'd just suggest that as it has both front and rear USB ports, get a USB extention cable and run it to under, or in the ashtray.

For me Bluetooth is a must have. If your not going with a GPS unit, its likely a very good choice. For double the price you can get a unit from china with DVD, GPS, and backup camera capabilities - but the quality is a little sketchy - not unworkable though.

If you like the looks of the unit (and I do too, no backhanded insult intended), that's a big part of the battle. Most name brand units will sound good and have a decent tuner in them.

And of course, Marty and Doc liked JVC - so why not?

My friends think I'm nuts jawn101's Avatar

My VIN:    02100

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by TTait View Post
    I'd just suggest that as it has both front and rear USB ports, get a USB extention cable and run it to under, or in the ashtray.

For me Bluetooth is a must have. If your not going with a GPS unit, its likely a very good choice. For double the price you can get a unit from china with DVD, GPS, and backup camera capabilities - but the quality is a little sketchy - not unworkable though.

If you like the looks of the unit (and I do too, no backhanded insult intended), that's a big part of the battle. Most name brand units will sound good and have a decent tuner in them.

And of course, Marty and Doc liked JVC - so why not?
    Lol, I didn't think of the Doc tie-in with JVC. All the best stuff is made in Japan!

I think it's a reasonably feature rich unit with good looks and a decent price. I just wasn't sure if anyone wanted to prostletize on the matter and give their personal loves and hates on the units they have (or had)