FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: The restoration of 2930

Builder of the first Delorean Time Machine

My VIN:    2072

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Update! I reattached the W-pipe and pressure tested the coolant system. SUCCESS[1]

Next, I'm going to finish installing the hoses for the gas tank and the new accumulator.

I'm still possibly on track for body/frame reunification on Sunday if I can get a few more helpers.

Anyone that wants to come by freeside tomorrow or Sunday will be put to work!

Tasks for the weekend:
    - Reassemble and pressure test fuel system (as much as possible)
    - Reinstall intake manifold [2]
    - Pressure test fuel system[3]
    - Unify body/frame[3]

Also, offer stands that if anyone needs AC work done, bring your car down. I'll evacuate, inspect, and recharge your AC.

--buddy

[1]: With three exceptions: The heater valve is rusted out and needs to be replaced (currently replaced by a short piece of tube), the heater core is in the body, and likewise replaced with a piece of tube, and my coolant tester itself is having trouble getting a good seal….. time to 'return' the loaned tool to auto zone, i guess

[2]: Assuming I'm not missing any more screws…..
    [3]: Or banjo bolts…..
    [2/3]: Also, I'm not sure of the order of these two. I think the intake manifold goes on first….

Come to Freeside this weekend! 675 Metropolitan Parkway, Atlanta, Ga 30303. Gate code is 5345*. I'm in Suite 6066, which is building E (the right most building as you enter the space). You'll see a delorean parked out front…. PM me for my phone number if you want to come by and don't have it. I'll provide lunch and 'beverages' for anyone that shows up!

W-pipe above should be Y-pipe.

Today I reinstalled the electrical harness and vacuum tube bits that are under the intake manifold, and reinstalled the intake manifold.

I had to use two thread repairs coils on the W-pipe, but now it's torqued down and happy. The fuel and spark plug lines are going to be installed next, then I'm going to try to clip down the fuel lines AGAIN. I hate those clips….

After that, I should be able to put some fuel in the tank and pressure test the fuel system. I'll pull the injectors and check their spray pattern. If they're bad, no problem, as I already have some new ones!

Oh, I also reinstalled and lined up the distributor. I'll have to do the timing light thing when the engine is startable. I also got a compression tester so I can do that test if I decide to.

After that, I..still have a ton of work to do!

But I'll get there.

--buddy

Progress pics would be nice.
    eBay selling at it's best I can tell you stock Delorians and quite a bit of slugs so the Turbo is a super nice up-grade.
    K-Jet: Causing electrical issues since November 5th 1955

Quote Originally Posted by sean View Post
    Progress pics would be nice.
    That's crazy talk! I've been far too busy to post pictures!

If I have to install another thread repair (I hope not!) I'll take pictures of the process and post it as a howto.

--buddy

I just want to see what 2930 looks like now.
    eBay selling at it's best I can tell you stock Delorians and quite a bit of slugs so the Turbo is a super nice up-grade.

Things I learned today:

- Check that all the O-rings are still seated when you're about to bolt down the intake manifold!

Fortunately, I have an amazing set of flex head ratcheting wrenches. I managed to wiggle the manifold loose enough that I could place the O-ring without removing everything else (mix unit, fuel lines, yada yada.) I was almost done reinstalling everything when I noticed!

Sean, I found one of my missing banjo bolts! In an injector, nonetheless! At least now I have a spare.

New pictures start here: https://picasaweb.google.com/nullset...09576620433746

Sean, here you can see rust on my injectors. I'll send the old ones off to Hervey to see if he can clean any or all of them, then I'll have a few spares.

I'll take more pictures later. For now, I have a fuel system to finish putting together!

Still to go:
    - Reinstall exhaust
    - Tighten all the fuel line bolts
    - Install plug wires and related things
    - Pipe of Agony
    - reinstall alternator
    - reinstall A/C compressor
    - Run brake plumbing lines
    - Figure out what this thing is and whether I need to do something to replace it ( https://picasaweb.google.com/nullset...14794953470498 and the next few)
    - Clip and zip tie fuel lines to the frame
    - Install clamp on the fuel boot
    - Pressure test fuel system
    - Refit transmission drain pan and fill ATF and final drive oil
    - Possibly repair some of the wires coming out of the automatic transmission. A few appear to have been damaged
    - Replace water ('test fluid') with 50/50 water and ethylene glycol
    - Rebleed coolant system
    - Refit starter
    - Compression test
    - Leak down test
    - Install flywheel inspection plate
    - Tighten bolts holding down the radiator and/or reinstall the reinforcement brackets / front suspension
    - Install front brake calipers
    - Reconnect body/frame
    - Connect everything related to that
    - Connect all the brake lines, install pads, and fill/bleed brake fluid
    - ???
    - PROFIT!

--buddy

Yeah, those injectors are pretty funky!

Quote Originally Posted by nullset View Post
    - Figure out what this thing is and whether I need to do something to replace it ( https://picasaweb.google.com/nullset...14794953470498 and the next few)
    7-3-0.jpg
    106780.jpg
    http://www.delorean.com/store/p-7780-check-valve.aspx

BTW, this should be your new avatar:
    IMG_0793.JPG

Successful fuel system pressure test! I am a happy camper!

Now on to installing the exhaust…...

What started as a great evening (fuel system pressure test) got annoying REALLY fast.

I installed all the exhaust studs on one side, after slowly figuring out where they were supposed to go…. (oops, i had the manifold for the other side!), I tightened all the nuts down gently.

Then, after I'd torqued all but the last 2, one of them failed to tighten far beyond finger tight. Now it seems that that hole is stripped.

Unfortunately, the one that stripped is RIGHT next to the cross member, and I can't see a way to get a drill in there to install a helicoil. Is it possible?

I decided to try lifting the engine out. While I was setting that up, a fire extinguisher (see above, fuel system pressure test) tipped over and got lodged, and completely discharged.

Someone had removed the safety pin and not replaced it. Now I'm REALLY frustrated.

Do I need to pull the engine to install that helicoil? If I do, I'm guessing I should go ahead and install both exhaust manifolds while it's still out.

Today I learned: Fire Extinguishers have safety pins FOR A REASON. Now all my tools and a good chunk of the car are covered in fire extinguisher powder.

--buddy

Unfortunately, the one that stripped is RIGHT next to the cross member, and I can't see a way to get a drill in there to install a helicoil. Is it possible?
    Right angle drill would get at it but keeping it straight would be the kicker. You might be in for an engine lift.
    ... and a good chunk of the car are covered in fire extinguisher powder.
    Let the cocaine jokes fly!

Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast