FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Thread: The restoration of 2930

My VIN:    2743

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCH) (DCUK) (DOC-UK)

Pictures! Pictures !
    Dermot
    VIN 2743, B/A, Frame 2227, engine 2320

I don't always drive cars, but when I do, I prefer DeLoreans

http://www.will-to-live.org

No-one is to stone anyone, even, and I want to make this absolutely clear, even if they do say "carburetor"

My VIN:    00910

Aren't there 2 unused threaded holes around each exhaust port? Couldn't you use one of these 'extra' holes rather than pull the engine?
    Yeah, it's dirty. I drive it.

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by ramblinmike View Post
    Aren't there 2 unused threaded holes around each exhaust port? Couldn't you use one of these 'extra' holes rather than pull the engine?
    Yes but there are not two more holes to use on the manifold. Stock manifolds only have two holes per port.
    eBay selling at it's best I can tell you stock Delorians and quite a bit of slugs so the Turbo is a super nice up-grade.
    K-Jet: Causing electrical issues since November 5th 1955

Builder of the first Delorean Time Machine

My VIN:    2072

Quote Originally Posted by sean View Post
    Right angle drill would get at it but keeping it straight would be the kicker. You might be in for an engine lift.

Let the cocaine jokes fly!
    I tried the right angle drill. Unless I cut down the drill bit, it's not going to happen.

I will pull the engine. Fortunately, the fuel lines aren't clipped in yet, so I can pull the engine up high enough without disconnecting anything. I'll install all of the exhaust while it's out.

--buddy

Quote Originally Posted by nullset View Post
    I tried the right angle drill. Unless I cut down the drill bit, it's not going to happen.

I will pull the engine. Fortunately, the fuel lines aren't clipped in yet, so I can pull the engine up high enough without disconnecting anything. I'll install all of the exhaust while it's out.

--buddy
    Install the manifolds, crossover and cat, the muffler can wait til the engine is resting in the cradle again.
    eBay selling at it's best I can tell you stock Delorians and quite a bit of slugs so the Turbo is a super nice up-grade.

Manifolds are now reinstalled. DMC's guide says 25 ft lbs of torque. That seems a little high to me. Is it right?

Either way, I installed a few more helicoils. When disassembling, I was happy that the exhaust studs practically fell out…now I know why! The threads were destroyed!

I did a compression test tonight. Low of 100, high of 145 or so, with most of them being around 120. This is probably not a completely great test as the engine hasn't been fired in who knows how long, etc.

How does that sound? Sean?

It was exciting to see the engine turn, even for a bit.

I think I'm up to 5 v-coils so far. Maybe six. I lost count. I'm hoping the exhaust is not going to leak.

It wasn't too bad to pull the engine, since almost nothing is connected, and the fuel lines aren't yet clipped to the frame. The cat is still attached to the muffler, so I didn't put it on yet. The engine is back in the frame again now.

--buddy

Manifolds are now reinstalled. DMC's guide says 25 ft lbs of torque. That seems a little high to me. Is it right?
    Honestly I've never torqued them, always went on feel, hand tight.

I did a compression test tonight. Low of 100, high of 145 or so, with most of them being around 120. This is probably not a completely great test as the engine hasn't been fired in who knows how long, etc.

How does that sound? Sean?
    Well that's so-so but considering the engine has been dormant for a while it will probably improve. You have no major failures so I think you're good

Quote Originally Posted by sean View Post
    Honestly I've never torqued them, always went on feel, hand tight.

Well that's so-so but considering the engine has been dormant for a while it will probably improve. You have no major failures so I think you're good
    I really am tempted to try to run enough wires to fire the engine while it's still separated, but I think it won't be worth the effort.

I'm going to do all the plumbing I can today, clean up the fire extinguisher mess, then I'll be ready to put the body/frame back together.

--buddy

I was just thinking about 2930. Do you have all the body bolts accounted for?

One of those purists you keep hearing about. sdg3205's Avatar

My VIN:    thirty two 'o five

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Hey Buddy,

25 lbs for the 4 bolts to the block seems too high. I could be wrong but I'd double check with a vendor. 7 lbs or 11 lbs might be correct. I stripped one of mine, it's easy to do. I had a torque wrench fail.
    Dave

Here, somewhere.

Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast