FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Problem with the door locks.

My VIN:    0796, 6736

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Quote Originally Posted by stevedmc View Post
    It really stinks that you will have to open the door but at least you can still get in the car through the passenger side.

Yeah, i wouldn't know what to do if i couldn't unlock either door.

Do yourself a favor and replace your hood release cable or at least run a string to it before it breaks too. If you have a 30 year old hood release cable it is just waiting to snap.
    Good idea, i doubt its ever been replaced before. It works great but i don't want to take a chance on it breaking.
    Thanks

My VIN:    16409

Quote Originally Posted by thegodfather View Post
    Good idea, i doubt its ever been replaced before. It works great but i don't want to take a chance on it breaking.
    Thanks
    I suggest you check out Toby's trunk popper actuator as well. I've installed this so I don't have to use the cable at all.

http://www.delorean-parts.com/Mercha...gory_Code=9401
    Chris Miles

For Better or Worse I own a DeLorean!
    1983 Grey Manual, VIN #16409, Fresno, California

The door lock solenoids can not jam the door mech when the module is unplugged

The design flaw is the module, not the solenoids which are considered bomb proof in the Jaguars from which they were sourced. It's far more likely your problem is what I explain in this video.

Martin Gutkowski
    -------------
    Very part time DeLoreaner...

My VIN:    16336 (SOLD)

Call me nuts, but I removed my door lock module and actuators from the doors. Im all manual.

Have never been locked out

I rarely bring a passenger, and when I do, it's not that inconvenient to just walk around and let them in. Eventually I may put the new door lock setup in, but easy solution to a set of misfiring locks.
    One of DMCTalk.org's original admins

Mainly lurking, just passing through. Still enjoying reading about everyone's progress.

If you still have your solenoids, try moving one by hand - see how much work it takes

Most door-stuck issues are caused by the latch crank not returning properly and/or the front lock rod going a bit slack.
    Martin Gutkowski
    -------------

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

The solenoids are not "bomb-proof". When the module gets stuck the solenoids will burn out. Most of the door problems occur when the doors are forced or at least closed and not fully in 2nd locking position on all latches. If ANY of the 4 latches on the 2 doors are not in 2nd locking position the locking mechanism is not supposed to allow the doors to be locked. If you have the central locking system working BOTH doors are not supposed to lock. What could have been a simple adjustment of one of the anchor pins becomes a major job adjusting all of the internal door linkage which gets bent/stretched because it is now being forced. If you are having problems with the doors, ignoring it and forcing the doors eventually makes the problem worse till the point a door eventually gets jammed. By now the doors of ALL Deloreans should have been disassembled, the old lubricant removed, the mechanisms cleaned and re lubricated so everything will work smoothly. The old grease is like sticky glue preventing things from moving easily. Especially when cold! Then going over all of the adjustments. A big job that is mostly avoided.
    David Teitelbaum

David, I was pointing out that the solenoids aren't an inherant weakness and they are considered ultra-reliable in the Jaguars from which they come. The problem is the control module burning them out.
    Last edited by DCUK Martin; 06-08-2011 at 03:14 PM.
    Martin Gutkowski
    -------------

Banned

My VIN:    16510 and carbureted

Club(s):   (GCD) (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    I rarely bring a passenger, and when I do, it's not that inconvenient to just walk around and let them in.
    One perk is this makes you look even better when your passenger happens to be a hot date.

My VIN:    03572

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Call me nuts, but I removed my door lock module and actuators from the doors. Im all manual.

Have never been locked out

I rarely bring a passenger, and when I do, it's not that inconvenient to just walk around and let them in. Eventually I may put the new door lock setup in, but easy solution to a set of misfiring locks.
    I agree with you on removing except I like to lock my doors when I'm driving. Also it makes the locks need less force since the actuators do the work as soon as you start turning the key or press the lock.

So is there any safety with it locked when driving as far as keep the latches closed?
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

My VIN:    06960

Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    So is there any safety with it locked when driving as far as keep the latches closed?
    I would say no, I've had a few incidences in the past where my passenger door (the not so well aligning one) has its rear latch pop open while driving. Locking the door made no difference.
    Jim Reeve
    DMC6960

D-Status: - Getting some Spring exercise

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast