FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Can anyone tell me what the Torque Spec is for this nut?

My VIN:    01643

Club(s):   (DCF) (DCO) (DCUK)

Can anyone tell me what the Torque Spec is for this nut?

This is the nut that holds the 5th gear onto the transmission input shaft. I cant seem to find what the torque should be on it and I'm trying to get this transmission back together.

Also is it recommended to use a threadlocker of any kind on it?

I know its the one on the output shaft that has the tendency to spin off. Unfortunately that's already happened once to this transmission so whoever rebuilt it last decided to braze that nut on. I figure I may as well just leave that there.

My VIN:    706

13.5 daN.m from the Renault workshop manual.
    it recommends using threadlock too.

My VIN:    02075

Club(s):   (DMA)

I used red (heat required to remove) Loctite, I think it's 262 or similar variant. According to the shop manual (page F:02:01) the primary & secondary shaft torques are 90-112.5 ft-lb.

As insurance, you can re-peen the nut when you get it tight. The Renault factory did this to help keep the nut in place.

DMC-CA cams & custom Flowmaster muffler
    1/4 mile time - 16.792s @ 81.45MPH

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

I have a set of instructions from the transmission master and it reads 110ft-lbs combined with red loctite. The WS manual says 90-112.5ft-lbs.
    eBay selling at it's best I can tell you stock Delorians and quite a bit of slugs so the Turbo is a super nice up-grade.
    K-Jet: Causing electrical issues since November 5th 1955

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

To make it easier to get to the torque required you put the transmission into 2 gears at the same time to "lock" it so it won't turn. If you are going to use threadlocker (and you should) you should clean the threads with alcohol and it wouldn't hurt to use primer. Between the threadlocker, the torque, and peening the nut in place, that should keep it from loosening up.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    5180

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Nick,

Do you plan on splitting the Case? If you are, you will need to remove the other "Brazed" nut.

Also, when torquing those nuts install a couple Bell housing attach bolts at the other end of the case halves (As required) then use a suitable "Lever" (long pry bar or 2 x 4) to hold the transmission from turning as you apply torque to the Shaft Nuts. Some times it helps to have a second person to hold the other end.
    DENNIS

VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE II​, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, M Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, REAL MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.

My VIN:    01643

Club(s):   (DCF) (DCO) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by DMC5180 View Post
    Nick,

Do you plan on splitting the Case? If you are, you will need to remove the other "Brazed" nut.

Also, when torquing those nuts install a couple Bell housing attach bolts at the other end of the case halves (As required) then use a suitable "Lever" (long pry bar or 2 x 4) to hold the transmission from turning as you apply torque to the Shaft Nuts. Some times it helps to have a second person to hold the other end.
    I already split the case and put it back together. Installed Toby's coupler and did all the other little upgrades inside. Thanks for the heads up on the leverage. 110ft lbs will certainly try rotating the transmission if it's not tied down.