FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: advice for Tallahassee owner?

My VIN:    None yet :(

advice for Tallahassee owner?

Hi,

I've recently been accepted to a phd program at FSU and have wanted a D for a long time. Fruits of my forthcoming Delorean research pending, there's a decent chance I might be getting myself a $20k present. Program starts in fall so I would want to pull the trigger within the next couple months. Can anyone give me some advice about what to look for in my search? I'm a very proficient driveway mechanic and can handle most repairs but don't have the time or desire to do anything resembling a resto. Also, what will I do about a mechanic? Bonita Springs is a long way from Tallahassee. There was another D around town the last time I lived there but I didn't know the guy.

Many thanks,
    Bill

My VIN:    4456 - Owner since March 2011

Club(s):   (PNDC)

OK... you asked for advice so here goes... Keeping in mind that I do not know you or your habits...

WAIT UNTIL YOU FINISH SCHOOL!!!! (Not shouting - just over-emphasizing)

My wife agreed many years agao that I could get a DeLorean when I got my Master's Degree. Lo and behold, 3 months before I was to deliver my thesis one came up for sale locally. I looked at it and bought it.

It took every ounce of will power to keep on school work instead of going after little fixes here and there and sometimes, the car won out over school.

The reality is that a $20 to $20,000 DeLorean is gonna have issues creep up now and again. You being mechanically inclined will want to, or need to, fix them yourself. That kind of distraction could kill your studies. If you were going to buy a $30,000 car I would expect it to be in really good condition and maybe that's a different story. But after all, it's a 30-year-old car and it's bound to have issues from time to time.

Instead, make a vow to yourself that you will buy one no more than one month, or 6 months more realistically, after you deliver your dissertation. That way you won't be distracted. It's gonna take a lot of will power not to get sidetracked shopping e-bay from time to time so use that as your motivator and allow yourself time every once in awhile to peruse but don't buy.

Believe me it will make ownership that much sweeter... And we can all call you Doc.
    Cheers
    Steven Maguire

IT'S A TRAP!!!!!

My VIN:    16793

Club(s):   (DMA) (LINY-DMC) (DCUK)

My parents live in Tallahassee and they actually have my D there for the winter (I live in NY). I don't know how much up close and personal time you have had with one (if any), but am sure my dad would be willing to talk to you about the basic "ins and outs" and of course show off the car. PM me and can try to arrange it if interested. As for mechanics, there is one guy in town that has worked on DeLoreans before (he says there are/were two others in that area but I don't know who they are). All I have done is an oil change there so can't really speak to his actual knowledge of capability on D's. I'm just crossing my fingers that nothing major goes wrong before I get it back up to Grady in March. That being said, I agree with Steve in that a DeLorean you get for 20k and going to school probably don't mix well. All I can think is being late for a class and using the old "My DeLorean wouldn't start" trick - oldest one in the book my friend! Hehe... Good luck though!
    DeLorean VIN 16793 - 1983
    Loving my power steering!

My VIN:    None yet :(

MLuder, your logic is what I previously had planned. I do appreciate the advice and a voice of reason. My automotive habits are to let things slide until they absolutely have to get done. For some reason my father has given me the go ahead to get another old Mercedes to run on vegetable oil. That car would serve a clear purpose... but it would not be a Delorean. My thought is that the D probably wouldn't be a great deal more hassle than a Mercedes of the same vintage and my Pontiac and bicycle will be shouldering most of the burden for my daily driving anyway. I will very, very seriously consider your advice though.

As to price point, I was under the impression that 20k-25k was a decent quality vehicle. Even a little higher in the 20 range is doable, but I definitely cannot broach the 30k mark. Is it possible to find a good condition car for the amount of money I can spend or should I nix the idea?

My VIN:    3028

Quote Originally Posted by crunk04gtp View Post
    MLuder, your logic is what I previously had planned. I do appreciate the advice and a voice of reason. My automotive habits are to let things slide until they absolutely have to get done. For some reason my father has given me the go ahead to get another old Mercedes to run on vegetable oil. That car would serve a clear purpose... but it would not be a Delorean. My thought is that the D probably wouldn't be a great deal more hassle than a Mercedes of the same vintage and my Pontiac and bicycle will be shouldering most of the burden for my daily driving anyway. I will very, very seriously consider your advice though.

As to price point, I was under the impression that 20k-25k was a decent quality vehicle. Even a little higher in the 20 range is doable, but I definitely cannot broach the 30k mark. Is it possible to find a good condition car for the amount of money I can spend or should I nix the idea?
    I say F*ck it get the car. Here is my logic. If you pass this opportunity by then later down the road that 20K gift will be widdle away on some expense here or there. Then you'll meet some girl and have to blow a couple of grand on a ring etc etc. Once your married, no new wife will let you buy a sports car (typo: very impractical and needy sports car). It will be another 15 years before you get the opportunity again.

BUY THE CAR. TRUST ME BUY THE CAR. Sure it will need some work here and there, but the happiness, and stress relief you will get from it are worth more than anything.

My VIN:    2543

I waited til after I got my BS. Mainly cause I didn't have the money during school. Good thing too cause it soaked up some time. I live in Fort Walton Beach at the moment, 3 hours west of you. If you are ever over this way I can show you mine and what all I've had to do.
    Ben B. | VIN 2543 | 2017 Alfa Romeo Giulia

Nit-picking customer(as seen on TV) Iznodmad's Avatar

My VIN:    #5000 (Grey, manual, SS chassis, intercooled twin turbo), #16128 (Grey, auto, efi twin turbo), #888

Club(s):   (DCVA) (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by crunk04gtp View Post
    Don't get so caught up in this rule of thumb, b/c that is all it is. You could pay $25K for a car, but in reality it is (or could be) the typical mid-teens priced car (with the problems associated with those cars). Without the knowledge to know what you are buying, then you could get the "wool pulled over your eyes."

I have 2 DeLoreans. The first one I purchased while still in undergrad. It took a lot of my money and time. When I furthered my education (doctorate), I essentially stored the car (properly) and didn't put time or money into it b/c I didn't have either. I purchased a second one and the experience hasn't been too much different from the first one (lots of time and money). That's what old cars do.

I'm not gonna tell you what to do, b/c you are going to decide what to do on your own. It likely will not be a cake walk and you don't need any extra distractions that will keep you from your ultimate and more important goal, which is your degree. Good luck.