FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: DCUK Stainless Steering Shaft/Joint Set

President, DeLorean Industries

My VIN:    5646,5080, 5880, 10234, 3639, 2518, 10586, 1538

Quote Originally Posted by kings1527 View Post
    Hi Josh,

I have a question about the stainless steering shaft you sell. It looks like the DMCH/Toby unit only has one stainless U-joint but the unit you sell replaces the upper and lower U-joints with stainless? Is that accurate? I'm under the impression that the DMC unit leaves you with one OEM U-joint and one new stainless U-joint. Thanks!
    Ours includes the upper and lower joints along with the shaft. Not sure on dmchs current offering. I buy these in quantity through summit racing and some how receive a better price than directly with the manufactures best price break.
    www.deloreanindustries.com Every Detail Matters

Location:  Burnsville MN-Moving to Kalispell MT. in June 20111

My VIN:    2691

Shaft cautions

Twenty some years ago, my intermediate steering shaft got sloppy in the u-joint. Not having a lot of options for parts {already on Delorean Ones s___ list] I had a machinist friend Make a copy. Struggling to install it, I got the upper joint to slip on easily and tightened the pinch bolt....done. TWO YEARS LATER coming back from Aberdeen SD after dropping of my grand daughter I was tooling along at 70 MPH on back roads when the steering felt funny. Turning the wheel did nothing!!! Slamming on the brakes got me stopped in the ditch, just short of a slough. The steering wheel felt like nothing was connected and that was the truth. The upper u-joint that went on so easy had just pushed the steering column up a half an inch and the pinch bolt missed the groove that keeps it from falling off! It was held on by 3/8" and the grace of GOD. Two hours later working through the upper access panel only I was back on the road, having a greater appreciation of mechanics. Thinking of all the miles and mountain passes i've driven gave me pause. Know what your doing before any repairs!!!!

Paul Cerny
    Kalispell,MT

Young Padawan With The DeLorean kings1527's Avatar

My VIN:    6575

Quote Originally Posted by DPI JOSH View Post
    Ours includes the upper and lower joints along with the shaft. Not sure on dmchs current offering. I buy these in quantity through summit racing and some how receive a better price than directly with the manufactures best price break.
    Thanks, Josh. One more question. The DMCH unit has sealed needle bearings which require no maintenance. Is that the same with your unit?

Alex Abdalla

Late 1981, Grey 5-speed, 75k miles. Built 11/11/81

A stock-look with modern, reliable technology.

A full restoration with step-by-step "what I did" is in progress at www.delorean6575revisited.blogspot.com

My VIN:    5180

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Josh,

Have you experimented with the the Vibration Isolation coupler made be borgeson? I read somewhere on here that somebody installed one and that they could feel a difference.
    DENNIS

VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE II​, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, M Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, REAL MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.

Thanks, Josh. One more question. The DMCH unit has sealed needle bearings which require no maintenance. Is that the same with your unit?
    Quote Originally Posted by DMC5180 View Post
    Josh,

Have you experimented with the the Vibration Isolation coupler made be borgeson? I read somewhere on here that somebody installed one and that they could feel a difference.
    Hi Josh,

Any info on these? I appreciate it!

Alex Abdalla

A full restoration with step-by-step "what I did" is in progress at www.delorean6575revisited.blogspot.com

Senior Member - Owner since 2003 Patrick C's Avatar

My VIN:    1880

Club(s):   (DCO) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by DMC5180 View Post
    Josh,

I have it installed on my car. It does kill some of the 'road noise' you can feel through the steering wheel in a stock configuration.
    Patrick C.
    VIN 1880

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick C View Post
    I have it installed on my car. It does kill some of the 'road noise' you can feel through the steering wheel in a stock configuration.

Thanks Patrick. Do you happen to have a part number for that? I'll probably pick one up. I'm looking at grabbing one of DPI's stainless steering shafts, too, but I'm wondering if its a sealed maintenance-free unit or not.

Alex Abdalla

Senior Member - Owner since 2003 Patrick C's Avatar

My VIN:    1880

Club(s):   (DCO) (DCUK)

Thanks Patrick. Do you happen to have a part number for that? I'll probably pick one up. I'm looking at grabbing one of DPI's stainless steering shafts, too, but I'm wondering if its a sealed maintenance-free unit or not.
    Call Borgeson at (860) 482-8283 and ask for Gil. He helped me piece together the correct length stainless shaft, stainless u-joint, and stainless vibration reducing u-joint. They have DeLorean in their system and just need to tweak things with the shaft length since the stainless vibration reducing u-joint is longer than the normal u-joint. The price was lower than I expected!
    Last edited by Patrick C; 01-17-2013 at 01:42 PM.
    Patrick C.
    VIN 1880

President, DeLorean Industries

My VIN:    5646,5080, 5880, 10234, 3639, 2518, 10586, 1538

Call Borgeson at (860) 482-8283 and ask for Gil. He helped me piece together the correct length stainless shaft, stainless u-joint, and stainless vibration reducing u-joint. They have DeLorean in their system and just need to tweak things with the shaft length since the stainless vibration reducing u-joint is longer than the normal u-joint. The price was lower than I expected!
    I have used one of the vibration reducers but with everything else we had installed the difference was difficult to tell. I'm sure the feel would have been much more responsive without the shocks all the way up and poly on all four corners.
    www.deloreanindustries.com Every Detail Matters

My VIN:    16245

Hey Patrick. I called Gil at Borgeson . Can I get your last name or invoice number? He will look up your order and duplicate it.

Thanks!
    Jeff Klavir
    Q: How do you make a small fortune restoring a DeLorean?
    A: Start out with a large fortune!

Vin 16245 (83, 5sp Blk) aka Stinky

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast