FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: DCUK Stainless Steering Shaft/Joint Set

Senior Member - Owner since 2003 Patrick C's Avatar

My VIN:    1880

Club(s):   (DCO) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by JeffKay View Post
    Hey Patrick. I called Gil at Borgeson . Can I get your last name or invoice number? He will look up your order and duplicate it.

Thanks!
    Jeff Klavir
    PM sent.
    Patrick C.
    VIN 1880

My VIN:    16245

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick C View Post
    PM sent.
    Thanks!
    Q: How do you make a small fortune restoring a DeLorean?
    A: Start out with a large fortune!

Vin 16245 (83, 5sp Blk) aka Stinky

Young Padawan With The DeLorean kings1527's Avatar

My VIN:    6575

Ugh...I'm embarrassed to even ask but I have to. I want to do this only once.

I just got my set in the mail with the vibration reducing coupling and that's my question: does that coupling install closer to the steering rack or closer to the firewall?

I'm guessing it's supposed to attach to the rack but I just want to be sure.

Thanks!

Alex Abdalla

Late 1981, Grey 5-speed, 75k miles. Built 11/11/81

A stock-look with modern, reliable technology.

A full restoration with step-by-step "what I did" is in progress at www.delorean6575revisited.blogspot.com

Senior Member - Owner since 2003 Patrick C's Avatar

My VIN:    1880

Club(s):   (DCO) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by kings1527 View Post

I just got my set in the mail with the vibration reducing coupling and that's my question: does that coupling install closer to the steering rack or closer to the firewall?

Thanks!
    Closer to the rack.
    Patrick C.
    VIN 1880

My VIN:    5180

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Both of the two installed Borgeson SS shaft assemblies I've seen had the vibration reducer coupling at the rack end.
    DENNIS

VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE II​, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, M Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, REAL MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.

Thanks!

HMM, a little inspiration from working on a certain Louisiana car in a Hotel Parking lot last weekend.

Which version of the Shaft middle shaft assembly did you get? Round w/splines or Double D.
    DENNIS

VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE II​, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, M Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, REAL MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.

Quote Originally Posted by DMC5180 View Post
    HMM, a little inspiration from working on a certain Louisiana car in a Hotel Parking lot last weekend.

Which version of the Shaft middle shaft assembly did you get? Round w/splines or Double D.
    Haha! Hey Dennis! Boy, you're spot on with that one! It's amazing what a late-night tech session can do for your motivation! It was great meeting you last week, by the way.

So that's what I thought made the most sense; more towards the rack. And the unit as a whole is pretty awesome. I'm very happy with it and I basically piggybacked my order based off the info on this thread. Gil was easy to deal with on the phone. The whole conversation took about 4 minutes.

I ended up getting round with splines. I gave him Jeff's name and told him to 'give me what he got'. I've had the new rack sitting in my second bedroom for awhile and after last week, I decided there's no better time than now. So before I even left Chicago, I called up Borgeson and placed my order. I also had Toby's Delrin column bushing sitting around, so I made it a trifecta today: rack, steering shaft, and bushing.

I used a ton of silicone spray to get the bushings on the rack in place and that made that whole operation 1,287 times easier. The difference with that operation between Steve's car and mine was night and day. The only hitch I ran into out of everything today was with the steering column bushing and getting the inner shaft of the steering column to slide within that wire screen under the dash. Mine was really stuck in there and I got it to come out by pulling hard on it a few times to get it to start to collapse. But now that I'm done and re-assembling, just getting the screen back in place is going to be awesome. I had to stop for the day before I could figure that puzzle out. I'm thinking I'll pull the entire column out of the car to get the screen back in place.

Do you have any other suggestions?

Alex Abdalla

A full restoration with step-by-step "what I did" is in progress at www.delorean6575revisited.blogspot.com

Haha! Hey Dennis! Boy, you're spot on with that one! It's amazing what a late-night tech session can do for your motivation! It was great meeting you last week, by the way.

So that's what I thought made the most sense; more towards the rack. And the unit as a whole is pretty awesome. I'm very happy with it and I basically piggybacked my order based off the info on this thread. Gil was easy to deal with on the phone. The whole conversation took about 4 minutes.

I ended up getting round with splines. I gave him Jeff's name and told him to 'give me what he got'. I've had the new rack sitting in my second bedroom for awhile and after last week, I decided there's no better time than now. So before I even left Chicago, I called up Borgeson and placed my order. I also had Toby's Delrin column bushing sitting around, so I made it a trifecta today: rack, steering shaft, and bushing.

I used a ton of silicone spray to get the bushings on the rack in place and that made that whole operation 1,287 times easier. The difference with that operation between Steve's car and mine was night and day. The only hitch I ran into out of everything today was with the steering column bushing and getting the inner shaft of the steering column to slide within that wire screen under the dash. Mine was really stuck in there and I got it to come out by pulling hard on it a few times to get it to start to collapse. But now that I'm done and re-assembling, just getting the screen back in place is going to be awesome. I had to stop for the day before I could figure that puzzle out. I'm thinking I'll pull the entire column out of the car to get the screen back in place.

Do you have any other suggestions?
    Not really sure about the cage thing you described. One thing I did when I did my column bushing replacement, was to drop the steering column from the dash mounting points 2 M10 Nut side down bolts then pull the the shaft out of the column. It's a Double D profile so indexing is easy. Make note of the steering wheel position before you pull the inner shaft out. use that as reference then simply stick the shaft through the new bushing. At that point you could reconnect the U-joint. But I found easier too simply slide the column back onto the shaft and reattach to the dash mounting point. The Steering column and bushing are not in perfect alignment so it will bind slightly, which helps hold the shaft from pushing back through the bushing when you reinstall the upper U-joint. It may also be possible to drop the column simply by removing the adjustment pinch Knob thru bolt. Then remove the Guide pin tabs on either side. The Tabs have stop pins that limit the telescoping feature. Theoretically with the stop pins out of the slots you should be able slide the column out quite a bit with out separation. Watch out for wire harness connections. This would allow easy gripping of the lower shaft.

FWIW: I just peered under my dash and noticed something they may help you. I have my column full telescoped OUT. This exposes about 3 inches of the inner lower shaft between the cage end bushing and column bushing. You may be able to reach up there with your fingers and grip the shaft then push it through the new Column bushing. Once it is fully pushed through the bushing you should have not problem re-connecting things.
    Last edited by DMC5180; 06-23-2013 at 01:23 AM.
    DENNIS

Quote Originally Posted by DMC5180 View Post
    Not really sure about the cage thing you described. One thing I did when I did my column bushing replacement, was to drop the steering column from the dash mounting points 2 M10 Nut side down bolts then pull the the shaft out of the column. It's a Double D profile so indexing is easy. Make note of the steering wheel position before you pull the inner shaft out. use that as reference then simply stick the shaft through the new bushing. At that point you could reconnect the U-joint. But I found easier too simply slide the column back onto the shaft and reattach to the dash mounting point. The Steering column and bushing are not in perfect alignment so it will bind slightly, which helps hold the shaft from pushing back through the bushing when you reinstall the upper U-joint. It may also be possible to drop the column simply by removing the adjustment pinch Knob thru bolt. Then remove the Guide pin tabs on either side. The Tabs have stop pins that limit the telescoping feature. Theoretically with the stop pins out of the slots you should be able slide the column out quite a bit with out separation. Watch out for wire harness connections. This would allow easy gripping of the lower shaft.

FWIW: I just peered under my dash and noticed something they may help you. I have my column full telescoped OUT. This exposes about 3 inches of the inner lower shaft between the cage end bushing and column bushing. You may be able to reach up there with your fingers and grip the shaft then push it through the new Column bushing. Once it is fully pushed through the bushing you should have not problem re-connecting things.
    I think that's somewhat my problem. I can't remember if I had the telescoping handle tight or loose but I had to take my steering wheel and pull back with decent force to get the inner shaft to come back far enough so I could start to get the new column bushing in. I banged it back a few times so now my cage and my inner shaft are even right at the end. Obviously, I need to get the inner shaft back out of the cage so I can get it through the bushing and firewall and completely install everything again.

I pulled the entire steering column tonight and I can't see where or how to get the cage to slide back which would bring the inner shaft forward.

IMG_5819.jpg

I'm thinking I didn't do something right when I tried to get clearance on the firewall for the new bushing but there was no other way and people said the inner shaft just slides back and the cage stays around it.

Alex Abdalla

I almost forgot, what was the Price tag and specific part number breakdown of the assembly you purchased?

I have a friend that is in the market for a new assembly. He recently installed a New DMCH rack with in the last year and asked me to drive the car for evaluation. I told him that the wheel had too much free play in it (about 1/2 inch). Since the rack was NEW I figured it must be in the U-joints. Sure enough after the short drive a quick inspection revealed the LOWER U-joint had significant play in it. He's now looking to replace it.
    DENNIS

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast