FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: DCUK Stainless Steering Shaft/Joint Set

Young Padawan With The DeLorean kings1527's Avatar

My VIN:    6575

Quote Originally Posted by DMC5180 View Post
    I almost forgot, what was the Price tag and specific part number breakdown of the assembly you purchased?

I have a friend that is in the market for a new assembly. He recently installed a New DMCH rack with in the last year and asked me to drive the car for evaluation. I told him that the wheel had too much free play in it (about 1/2 inch). Since the rack was NEW I figured it must be in the U-joints. Sure enough after the short drive a quick inspection revealed the LOWER U-joint had significant play in it. He's now looking to replace it.
    Gotcha. I drove you-know-who's and it was as tight as a drum. It was awesome and that made me go this route. My total tab was $285 and the breakdown is the following:

1 - Item #15xxxx (that's what it says) - Vibration U-Joint, Stainless, Special 736x536 ($133.63)
    1 - Item #113412 - 3/4"-36 x 9/16" 36 Stainless U-Joint ($92.60)
    1 - Item #419273 - 3/4" - 36 Splined Shaft, stainless, 11 3/4" long ($43.96)

Apparently the vibration reducing U-joint is a little longer than stock so that changes the length of the shaft itself. That might factor into your friend's situation.

Alex Abdalla

Late 1981, Grey 5-speed, 75k miles. Built 11/11/81

A stock-look with modern, reliable technology.

A full restoration with step-by-step "what I did" is in progress at www.delorean6575revisited.blogspot.com

My VIN:    5180

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by kings1527 View Post
    I think that's somewhat my problem. I can't remember if I had the telescoping handle tight or loose but I had to take my steering wheel and pull back with decent force to get the inner shaft to come back far enough so I could start to get the new column bushing in. I banged it back a few times so now my cage and my inner shaft are even right at the end. Obviously, I need to get the inner shaft back out of the cage so I can get it through the bushing and firewall and completely install everything again.

I pulled the entire steering column tonight and I can't see where or how to get the cage to slide back which would bring the inner shaft forward.

Attachment 20079

I'm thinking I didn't do something right when I tried to get clearance on the firewall for the new bushing but there was no other way and people said the inner shaft just slides back and the cage stays around it.
    the cage is FIXED it does not slide independently of the column. It is the column housing. The inner shaft slides out of it. Can you carefully grip the splines with a needle nose pliers. You may be able to pull it out that way. If not then the alternative would be to pop the plastic bushing out of the cage. notice the round holes around the cylinder. Those are lock tabs that keep the bushing in place. If you push in and towards the end,the plastic bushing should come out. It will snap back in place when reinsert it.
    DENNIS

VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE II​, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, M Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, REAL MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.

Gotcha. I drove you-know-who's and it was as tight as a drum. It was awesome and that made me go this route. My total tab was $285 and the breakdown is the following:

1 - Item #15xxxx (that's what it says) - Vibration U-Joint, Stainless, Special 736x536 ($133.63)
    1 - Item #113412 - 3/4"-36 x 9/16" 36 Stainless U-Joint ($92.60)
    1 - Item #419273 - 3/4" - 36 Splined Shaft, stainless, 11 3/4" long ($43.96)

Apparently the vibration reducing U-joint is a little longer than stock so that changes the length of the shaft itself. That might factor into your friend's situation.

Thanks, Are you sure the one joint end is 9/16-36. I noticed their sight showed a 9/16"-26 spline option.
    DENNIS

VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE II​, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, M Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, REAL MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.

the cage is FIXED it does not slide independently of the column. It is the column housing. The inner shaft slides out of it. Can you carefully grip the splines with a needle nose pliers. You may be able to pull it out that way. If not then the alternative would be to pop the plastic bushing out of the cage. notice the round holes around the cylinder. Those are lock tabs that keep the bushing in place. If you push in and towards the end,the plastic bushing should come out. It will snap back in place when reinsert it.
    Ah ha. Ok. Well, that might be why it's not moving. Learning here. I guess just the vibration alone of me slamming the steering assembly jiggled the inner shaft backwards? Interesting. Funny you mentioned the plastic bushing. I was in the process of taking it out to mess with the shaft that way but it was taking some finesse with the side tabs and given my track record on this little nugget so far, I decided to leave it for another night. I'll go downstairs and try it one more time before calling it a night.

Thanks, Are you sure the one joint end is 9/16-36. I noticed their sight showed a 9/16"-26 spline option.
    I double-checked my invoice and it definitely says 9/16-36. That looks to be for the upper. The anti-vibration lower is listed as 736x536. Again, I just told him to copy Jeff Klavir's order and he pulled it up within 30 seconds.

Alex Abdalla

A full restoration with step-by-step "what I did" is in progress at www.delorean6575revisited.blogspot.com

I just looked at your photo again. Just squeeze the opposing plastic lock tabs on the bushing where they protrude from the cage end and pull the bushing out. It should slide out fairly easily.
    DENNIS

Ah ha. Ok. Well, that might be why it's not moving. Learning here. I guess just the vibration alone of me slamming the steering assembly jiggled the inner shaft backwards? Interesting. Funny you mentioned the plastic bushing. I was in the process of taking it out to mess with the shaft that way but it was taking some finesse with the side tabs and given my track record on this little nugget so far, I decided to leave it for another night. I'll go downstairs and try it one more time before calling it a night.

I double-checked my invoice and it definitely says 9/16-36. That looks to be for the upper. The anti-vibration lower is listed as 736x536. Again, I just told him to copy Jeff Klavir's order and he pulled it up within 30 seconds.
    I guess you could verify the spline count by counting yours when the shaft is pulled out of the column.
    DENNIS

I guess you could verify the spline count by counting yours when the shaft is pulled out of the column.
    Dennis: you are a good man, sir. You were exactly right. I pulled out the plastic bushing and then took some angled needle nose and pulled the inner shaft out by the bevel by about 5" or so. I could've sworn the cage was collapsing while I was first taking it out to replace the column bushing. I'm glad I didn't wreck anything.

And yes, I definitely have 36 splines. I counted it just now.

It's always nice ending the day's project on a good note. Now I can sleep.

This house...is clean....

Alex Abdalla

Can anyone confirm that their setup with these same components and a 11 3/4" shaft all fit? It looks like my steering shaft at 11 3/4 in length seems a tad too long. Unless there's a particular way/order all of it should go on and the day's fatigue is not letting me see it.

Alex Abdalla

Post a photo so WE can try and see it. I have some thoughts but would like to see the photo of what you have done thus far. Give a good shot of the shaft coming through the column new shaft bushing.
    Last edited by DMC5180; 06-23-2013 at 11:27 PM.
    DENNIS

Post a photo so WE can try and see it. I have some thoughts but would like to see the photo of what you have done thus far. Give a good shot of the shaft coming through the column new shaft bushing.
    Thanks Dennis. I think I have an idea where you're going with the shaft coming through the new column bushing. I tried tapping it back towards the cabin to see if that'd free up some room but out of fear I was going to be back in my previous predicament (I've since re-installed the steering column), I decided to hold off pushing it any further in.

It seems to be taking a lot of finagling to get this in and I don't think it should be that way. I know the anti-vibration coupling adds a little bit to the length and therefor I'd need a shorter shaft and I'm wondering if that's where my problem lies; I have a shaft that'd go with a coupling that's not anti-vibration.

IMG_5827.jpgIMG_5828.jpg

One pic shows how it's coming out of the firewall and I might revisit shortening that back into the firewall again. The other pic shows how I can't get the setup connected due to the length.

It seems like I'm making this one way complicated for what it is...

Alex Abdalla

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast