FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 12 20 21 22

Thread: AutoArt Delorean??

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Banged your VIN'S mom

Quote Originally Posted by Dangermouse View Post
    And it says "composite"
    And I think if there is ever another stainless model offered, it will be some type of plated "composite"(aka plastic) too.

At one time I had 4 stainless models and one matt black. I sold 2 of my stainless ones and kept the other 2 just in case they really go up.
    Last edited by Michael; 02-08-2018 at 07:47 PM.

From 12/2018 there's probably another satin finished edition.
    Search term: AUTOart 79916
    But the new one will be made out of painted composite, unlike the first version (AUTOart 79911) that was made in steel.

My VIN:    Between VINs

So it's painted and has a light tan interior? As much as I'd like a 1:18 I'll stick with my Sunstar for now.

It will be interesting to see how they replicate stainless with paint. When I did my black car, I thought I nailed it pretty well but it was a lot of careful prep and I used paints that are not meant to be handled regularly. Even with a protective top coat, I handle mine very carefully. To get realistic results, it was worth it.

20160323_160146.jpg
    20160323_174931.jpg
    20160323_180604.jpg

Seems like some stuff they did really well, and others got it completely wrong (tan interior, those tail lights, etc.) I'd have a hard time dropping $200 on it. Hoping the production version corrects the interior part as that's pretty glaring which is so strange because it's just molded plastic.

If that's the painted model and not a reused pic of the metal version then they did well. Never understood the decision to go with a tan interior or to lose the front door marker light lens.

I sourced the pic from this pre-order page: https://www.modelly.shop/modelcars/a...ish-1-18-79916

Was looking at Autoart's site and the new composite models have an approx. shipping weight of 1kg where the diecast versions were 2kg. Even with packaging that's a substantial difference in weight of a model this small. I have yet to put mine on scales but I would guess my dicast versions come in somewhere around 28oz. (Without packaging) which would make the composite version very lightweight..not that they will be handled a lot but still I would like a little heft to a model like this.

It does look like they nailed the painted surface much better than the metal versions which are just too reflective. Graining looks perfect too. I still have 2 original satin versions along with the black one I stripped, painted and lighted. I am going to watch values of the original and if they drop (currently selling around 4-5 hundred), then I will take one apart and regrain it properly. I am positive that 600-800 grit will put a beautiful scale and realistic grain on the model. I know from experience there is more than enough plating to withstand several passes.

Edit: Just weighed my original. Comes in at 21oz. I bet the new composite models don't break 11oz.
    Last edited by Michael; 11-19-2018 at 08:28 PM.

Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 12 20 21 22