FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Engine bay paint mark

My VIN:    6778

Engine bay paint mark

I noticed a red paint mark near the hood latch and didn't think much about it until I saw a picture of another car with two similar marks and now I wonder if it's not a factory indicator of some update having been done or such. Any ideas if it means anything?

100_9086.jpg

My VIN:    03500

Quote Originally Posted by larryk View Post
    I noticed a red paint mark near the hood latch and didn't think much about it until I saw a picture of another car with two similar marks and now I wonder if it's not a factory indicator of some update having been done or such. Any ideas if it means anything?

100_9086.jpg
    That mark was put there by the dealer for a recall that was preformed. I've seen cars with two marks.
    I've also seen some that were done with a sharpie type marker so you'll just see a little red dot.

Mine has one drippy paint blotch.
    I've been asked about this at car shows.
    There were two I think recalls. Front end and de ice shield.

Dave B.
    Last edited by WHO1DMC; 07-08-2023 at 02:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by WHO1DMC View Post
    That mark was put there by the dealer for a recall that was preformed. I've seen cars with two marks.
    I've also seen some that were done with a sharpie type marker so you'll just see a little red dot.

Mine has one drippy paint blotch.
    I've been asked about this at car shows.
    There were two I think recalls. Front end and de ice shield.

Dave B.
    Thanks! My curiosity was getting the best of me. It must have been the de-ice shield. I remember the dealer installing that recall.

My VIN:    0934

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

The red paint was for the front end safety recall (RA-0001), not for the throttle ice shield campaign.

See link to the pdf for that safety recall at end of this post.

The red paint dot at the front of the engine bay is in Item 7 specified on p.3 of the Service Bulletin (which is p.7 of the linked pdf.)
    VINs after 6650 had this fix implemented by the DMC QACs before those cars shipped to dealers so no paint dot should be on such cars.

The throttle cable Safety Campaign (RA-0002) doesn't mention marking the car after its update is completed.

SC-01-11.81 - SAFETY CAMPAIGN NO. RA-0001 (RECALL).pdf
    March '81, 5-speed, black interior

My VIN:    03500

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    The red paint was for the front end safety recall (RA-0001), not for the throttle ice shield campaign.

The red paint dot at the front of the engine bay is in Item 7 specified on p.3 of the Service Bulletin (which is p.7 of the linked pdf.)
    VINs after 6650 had this fix implemented by the DMC QACs before those cars shipped to dealers so no paint dot should be on such cars.

The throttle cable Safety Campaign (RA-0002) doesn't mention marking the car after its update is completed.

This may be so. But it depends on what the dealers were doing. My car has a red paint mark and the front end recall was not done and never looked like it had been done.
    It was one of the first things I checked when I got my car. I put it on myself. My car did have a de ice shield.

Dave B.

My VIN:    03572

But it is obvious if the de-ice shield is installed.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post

Interesting. My car is just above that VIN range ( 6778 ) and spent a couple of months in the Troy QAC in Dec/81 through possibly as far as Feb/82 (based on parts records) so I would assume they did any recalls there. There were some parts used then but mostly things like door seals.
    I have the impression that it and 5195 were the cars at the Jan/82 Detroit Auto Show but I no definitive proof of that.
    Last edited by larryk; 07-09-2023 at 12:30 AM.