FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Cave paintings - post your pics!

DMC Texas 800-872-3621 or +1-281-441-2537 DMCH James's Avatar

My VIN:    Formerly 10570 and 6776

Club(s):   (AZ-D) (DMA) (SCDC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Shep View Post
    Although contrary to the knowledgebase article, my locking gas cap key is a one-sided key, and the ignition key does not even fit in the slot. My storage compartment door is keyed to the ignition. By all indications it is an original gas cap, and it assembles the same exact way with the same exact parts.

Presuming that it is a factory locking gas cap, and you have a key that fits it, it's certainly different internally than the gas caps used on any other gas caps I have ever seen. Email or post up some pics of the gas cap and key - I'm interested.

James
    James Espey, President
    DeLorean Motor Company (Texas)
    http://www.lcassicdmc.com

My VIN:    17082

Club(s):   (DOI)

Quote Originally Posted by Shep View Post
    Looks like your original VIN was 12082, prior to its rebranding as an '83 (top-left of the passenger door, written upside-down, is "V12082"). I'm betting you have your dash VIN plate glued on over the old one as well.
    Yes, all 83s got a 5000 bump in the VIN (if I'm not mistaken). And yes dash VIN is glued on. Apparently it was too much work to remove and replace the windshield just for a VIN plate
    - Devon

83 Canadian Spec - Manual, Grey, Fixed Pulls, Flat Hood

Quote Originally Posted by DMCH James View Post
    Presuming that it is a factory locking gas cap, and you have a key that fits it, it's certainly different internally than the gas caps used on any other gas caps I have ever seen. Email or post up some pics of the gas cap and key - I'm interested.

James
    Here you go, click for full size:

Assembled:

Disassembled (ignore the unused rivet next to the pin, that's there to get the pin out):

Closeup of the lock with the key inserted:

Closeup of the lock with key removed and visible on the left:

This was before I used brake cleaner on the lock, since the tumblers were mostly seized. Now they all move quite freely. Let me know if you need more pictures, it's sitting in a box until I can get it re-keyed to the ignition key, so I can take some more tonight

DMC Texas 800-872-3621 or +1-281-441-2537 DMCH James's Avatar

My VIN:    Formerly 10570 and 6776

Club(s):   (AZ-D) (DMA) (SCDC) (DCUK)

That's definitely the same style gas cap used on regular DeLorean cars. But that key would *never* work in it. See how some of the wafers are sticking out of the cylinder with the key inserted? Presuming the part of the gas cap that cylinder slides into is intact, those raised wafers would prevent it from turning. The wafers at the top and bottom of the cylinder in that photo are moved up or down based on the cuts in the key. That's why it requires a two-sided key. And with no key in it at all, all the wafers should be sticking out a little bit as they (should) have tiny little springs under them to make them pop up with no key inserted - this prevents the cylinder from moving.

If you ignition key doesn't fit at all - it's jammed up with something. Unless it's been monkeyed around with inside, a standard DeLorean ignition key should slide right in - might not turn, but should insert easily.

James
    James Espey, President
    DeLorean Motor Company (Texas)
    http://www.lcassicdmc.com

Quote Originally Posted by DMCH James View Post
    That's definitely the same style gas cap used on regular DeLorean cars. But that key would *never* work in it. See how some of the wafers are sticking out of the cylinder with the key inserted? Presuming the part of the gas cap that cylinder slides into is intact, those raised wafers would prevent it from turning. The wafers at the top and bottom of the cylinder in that photo are moved up or down based on the cuts in the key. That's why it requires a two-sided key. And with no key in it at all, all the wafers should be sticking out a little bit as they (should) have tiny little springs under them to make them pop up with no key inserted - this prevents the cylinder from moving.

If you ignition key doesn't fit at all - it's jammed up with something. Unless it's been monkeyed around with inside, a standard DeLorean ignition key should slide right in - might not turn, but should insert easily.

James
    That was before I used brake cleaner on the cylinder. All the pins were seized due to dried up grease, hence them being in the same position with and without the key. The locking part didn't and still doesn't work, so effectively the gas cap could be removed by hand with no key at all. I believe the one-sided key pulls all the wafers almost into place when inserted, regardless if on top or on bottom. I don't quite remember, but I think it was just the one wafer that spanned both sides for even grip. I just checked, and the one-sided key inserts fully one way, but does not go past a certain point flipped around, and I can't get an ignition key more than halfway in. I'm still having problems getting anything to work, and now I can't seem to remove the pin at all, so I can't pull it out and check again until I can figure out how to remove it.

My VIN:    5*9*

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

I took some pics of my cave art before installing my new door headliners

ALAN 13 ???
    Attached Images
    5*9*

My VIN:    5725

036.jpg037.jpg040.jpg042.jpg

Heres mine from 5725
    Glen

My VIN:    2743

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCH) (DCUK) (DOC-UK)

haha

your doors are date-stamped
    Dermot
    VIN 2743, B/A, Frame 2227, engine 2320

I don't always drive cars, but when I do, I prefer DeLoreans

http://www.will-to-live.org

No-one is to stone anyone, even, and I want to make this absolutely clear, even if they do say "carburetor"

My VIN:    5725

Quote Originally Posted by Dangermouse View Post
    haha

your doors are date-stamped
    But not marked with a key code

My VIN:    16440

I don't think this ranks as a cave painting but I have DMC-35 written under the rear license plate area.
    Has any one seen something like this before? Was it used for shipping or the dealer added for inventory?

16440_marking.jpg

Skip

Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast