FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Cave paintings - post your pics!

DMC Texas 800-872-3621 or +1-281-441-2537 DMCH James's Avatar

My VIN:    Formerly 10570 and 6776

Club(s):   (AZ-D) (DMA) (SCDC) (DCUK)

I imagine by now that you've put your door headliners back on, but I encourage people to write their keycodes under there when the get new, re-keyed locks. Future owners, if they lose the keys, will look there first...

James

Quote Originally Posted by jawn101 View Post
    One of the things I find most amazing about our cars is the hand-built nature. Every car has its own personality. I've done some looking around the internet and have only found a few isolated owners who have posted anything about their cave paintings. I think it would be really neat to get a bunch of them in one place to compare and discuss.

I'll go first, but mine are sadly not that interesting and even difficult to read. A few numbers (38, 025061/20L) and what look like a few signatures but I can't make them out. Also the now-incorrect lock code, not pictured (was on the underside of one of the lips)

Eventually I hope to look under some of the other panels, but not until they have to come off for something repair related

Post your pics!

My VIN:    01955

Quote Originally Posted by Sidaries View Post
    The white parts are my keycode.
    Liquid paper? jk

My VIN:    6679

Chris

My VIN:    6679

A few more I have encountered, in particular a piece of artwork behind my RFF (not a great shot, saw a teensy bit of it exposed so forced back the weather shielding as best I could and shoved my camera in there).

IMG_1994.jpg IMG_1989.jpg IMG_1611.jpg
    Chris

My friends think I'm nuts jawn101's Avatar

My VIN:    02100

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Tillsy View Post
    A few more I have encountered, in particular a piece of artwork behind my RFF (not a great shot, saw a teensy bit of it exposed so forced back the weather shielding as best I could and shoved my camera in there).

IMG_1994.jpg IMG_1989.jpg IMG_1611.jpg
    Man that Davy got around. That drawing is really cool! Someone had some extra time on their hands that day. I wish I had anything half this awesome. Haven't taken off the front fenders yet so maybe a surprise is waiting there.
    Jon
    1981 DMC-12 #02100. July 1981. 5-speed, black, grooved w/flap.
    restoration log, March 2011 to present
    full and detailed photo restoration log

Man that Davy got around.
    I have a feeling the writing on the cave painting in Post #7 (with the number 13) actually says "Davy". That would make three D's out of eight so far with the name Davy written on them. Makes me wonder how many Davys there were

I see the earliest VIN in this thread is 1495. Does anyone know what the earliest documented cave painting is? I ask because I'm going to have mine documented when I get the rear headliner replaced. I'll also see if I can spot any other cave paintings in the fenders when I visit next (wheels are off for new tires and refurbishment). But I'm curious if cave paintings started at a certain VIN or if they were there from day 1 (besides the keycodes themselves obviously). That also has me curious if any of the prototypes/pilots have cave paintings.

My friends think I'm nuts jawn101's Avatar

My VIN:    02100

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by EMDF View Post
    I have a feeling the writing on the cave painting in Post #7 (with the number 13) actually says "Davy". That would make three D's out of eight so far with the name Davy written on them. Makes me wonder how many Davys there were

I see the earliest VIN in this thread is 1495. Does anyone know what the earliest documented cave painting is? I ask because I'm going to have mine documented when I get the rear headliner replaced. I'll also see if I can spot any other cave paintings in the fenders when I visit next (wheels are off for new tires and refurbishment). But I'm curious if cave paintings started at a certain VIN or if they were there from day 1 (besides the keycodes themselves obviously). That also has me curious if any of the prototypes/pilots have cave paintings.
    You probably won't find anything under the rear headliner as these are mainly on the stainless. I did find some numbers scratched into my fiberglass underneath the LR quarter panel though - see attached. It's very unclear to me what they say, if anything.
    Attached Images
    Jon
    1981 DMC-12 #02100. July 1981. 5-speed, black, grooved w/flap.
    restoration log, March 2011 to present
    full and detailed photo restoration log

It's very unclear to me what they say, if anything.
    Turn it upside-down. Hard to tell the difference between ones and uppercase I's but it appears to read "111SL4/10H". Looks like a code, but I am not familiar enough with DeLorean code formatting to figure out what it's for.

DMC Texas 800-872-3621 or +1-281-441-2537 DMCH James's Avatar

My VIN:    Formerly 10570 and 6776

Club(s):   (AZ-D) (DMA) (SCDC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by EMDF View Post
    Turn it upside-down. Hard to tell the difference between ones and uppercase I's but it appears to read "111SL4/10H". Looks like a code, but I am not familiar enough with DeLorean code formatting to figure out what it's for.
    Based on some of the photos of the molds, the markings on the underbodies seem to match. They probably marked them as they came out of the mold in case problems were noted with the body later on in production.

James
    James Espey, President
    DeLorean Motor Company (Texas)
    http://www.lcassicdmc.com

My VIN:    11596

Here's a new one. Putting an A/C mode switch kit into 11237 (local owner). Pulled up the console and found this....

Interesting that by Jan 82 they were still experimenting on the line. Of course I left the paper where it is and took the pics to show the owner.

Andy
    Andy Lien

VIN 11596 Jan 1982 build - owned since Nov. 2000!
    Total frame-off restoration completed 2021-2023

Photography and Backpacking is life.

Was Fargo, ND
    Now Kansas City

Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast