FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Ask David and Farrar: Technical Questions and Advice About Carbureting a DeLorean

Quote Originally Posted by EarlHickey View Post
    Thank you very kindly, sir!

I'm not doing the engine thing yet, I've too many already apart in my shop and I like the engine in this one just fine!

Have you any thoughts on a smooth bore butter fly carb minimum diameter to make 180 horsepower, using IR and six throats?

Do you know if the stock runners will flow enough to make 180 horsepower?

I think they just might and I'd like to know the maximum they are able to flow, without being touched.

I noticed a plenum with runners cast integral on ebay that looks very much different than what came on mine.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/160793546372...WAX:IT&vxp=mtr

Mine does not look like this. Do two styles exist? Could you point me to a picture of the other style if so and when where they changed?
    Unless I'm missing something, that looks like a standard K-Jet (or EFI for some of us who don't have access to later PRV EFI engine parts) manifold.
    Aka Adam S, aka Adam Wright
    1981 DMC-12 #3416, mothballed in preparation for motor swap
    2006 Volvo S60R

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by AdmiralSenn View Post
    Unless I'm missing something, that looks like a standard K-Jet (or EFI for some of us who don't have access to later PRV EFI engine parts) manifold.
    Mine has the upper rectangular vessels, a type of molded plastic, on each side, remove-able and the lower runners "spigot'd" so that they are coupled to the upper non-metal boxes via rubber hoses clamped onto the three spigots at the bottom of the boxes. Maybe my manifold is from something else. Heck, maybe the engine is as well. I suppose I should find out if this engine is a factory PRV for the DMC.

Other than this deviation and the carb in place of all the CIS stuff, it appears to be a stock DMC engine.

I like it better than the ebay stock piece as it leaves me the option of connecting carbs on their ~ 4.5" centers, or removing the "lower manifold/runners" and screwing them directly to the heads.

I'll take it completely apart once I start fabbing up my carb setup and snap some pix.

Does a engine chart exist for the purpose of identifying these engines via their casting and/or stamped numbers and where are they located?
    Last edited by EarlHickey; 05-03-2012 at 11:14 PM.

Unless that's some bizarrely specific undocumented motor, that sounds like anything BUT a factory manifold. All that I've ever heard was that the factory cars all came with the manifold you linked to on ebay. (Martin Gutkowski would know a lot more about PRV variations than I, however, and could probably tell you exactly what car it came from).

Can you post a picture? I'm having a hard time visualizing.
    Aka Adam S, aka Adam Wright
    1981 DMC-12 #3416, mothballed in preparation for motor swap
    2006 Volvo S60R

My VIN:    02613

Club(s):   (DCF)

Mine has the upper rectangular vessels, a type of molded plastic, on each side, remove-able and the lower runners "spigot'd" so that they are coupled to the upper non-metal boxes via rubber hoses clamped onto the three spigots at the bottom of the boxes. Maybe my manifold is from something else. Heck, maybe the engine is as well. I suppose I should find out if this engine is a factory PRV for the DMC.
    Did you happen to buy a $6k DMC with blue bumpers?

The cross-ram intake manifold you found on eBay is what came from the factory. Martin Gutkowski in the UK occasionally has an intake manifold for sale, sourced from an EFI-equipped version of the same engine, which has a much larger throttle body, so it obviously breathes quite well. If he has one, you might contact him, because that EFI intake manifold will be impossible to find locally.

180 HP is no problem for a stock DeLorean PRV. The transmission can handle it, too, so you don't have to worry (assuming you have a 5-speed).
    Last edited by Farrar; 05-04-2012 at 10:25 AM.
    3.0L, automatic, carbureted

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Farrar View Post
    Did you happen to buy a $6k DMC with blue bumpers?

The cross-ram intake manifold you found on eBay is what came from the factory. Martin Gutkowski in the UK occasionally has an intake manifold for sale, sourced from an EFI-equipped version of the same engine, which has a much larger throttle body, so it obviously breathes quite well. If he has one, you might contact him, because that EFI intake manifold will be impossible to find locally.

180 HP is no problem for a stock DeLorean PRV. The transmission can handle it, too, so you don't have to worry (assuming you have a 5-speed).
    No, I did not happen to buy "a 6K DMC with blue bumpers".

However, I have that same lower runners and it has 48mm throttle butterflies. The runners do indeed accept CIS injectors. I'm not aware of any electric injectors small enough to go into the bores provided.

I also have the air plate and fuel distributor assembly along with the injectors. I've yet to check their numbers to see if they are DMC.

Do you know what that manifold is? What size throttle butterflies does the stock DMC CIS have?

I'm certain it is CIS and not L-Jet or later.

Oh, what do you know to be the HP and torque limits of the automatic and what fails first? Second if that's addressed and at what numbers then?

My VIN:    11596

However, I have that same lower runners and it has 48mm throttle butterflies. The runners do indeed accept CIS injectors. I'm not aware of any electric injectors small enough to go into the bores provided.

I also have the air plate and fuel distributor assembly along with the injectors. I've yet to check their numbers to see if they are DMC.

Do you know what that manifold is? What size throttle butterflies does the stock DMC CIS have?

I'm certain it is CIS and not L-Jet or later.

Oh, what do you know to be the HP and torque limits of the automatic and what fails first? Second if that's addressed and at what numbers then?
    Need pics, no one has a clue what you are talking about without pics.

Andy
    Andy Lien

VIN 11596 Jan 1982 build - owned since Nov. 2000!
    Total frame-off restoration completed 2021-2023

Photography and Backpacking is life.

Was Fargo, ND
    Now Kansas City

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by 82DMC12 View Post
    Need pics, no one has a clue what you are talking about without pics.

Andy
    It is lower runners as shown on the blue bumper although it is CIS and not EFI.

BTW... I've asked some direct and should be reasonably easy questions, do you guys like to not share knowledge or is it my breath? ;-)
    Last edited by EarlHickey; 05-04-2012 at 11:47 AM.

My VIN:    11596

It is lower runners as shown on the blue bumper although it is CIS and not EFI.
    Can you post a photo? No one will be able to help you without a couple of pictures.
    Andy Lien

VIN 11596 Jan 1982 build - owned since Nov. 2000!
    Total frame-off restoration completed 2021-2023

Photography and Backpacking is life.

Was Fargo, ND
    Now Kansas City

My VIN:    02613

Club(s):   (DCF)

OK. The going theory on that car was that the intake manifold was not made of metal, and since it was the first one I'd heard of, I had to ask. :-)

I believe the information you seek is in the Volvo manuals for the B28F engine (assuming your car has the original engine in it!). As has been said before, pictures would be immensely useful to anyone trying to help you.
    3.0L, automatic, carbureted

Banned

cooperation and communication are the cornerstones of civilization......

48mm butterflies......... stock DMC bores?

Engine and trans ID numbers exact location?

Intake and exhaust port dimensions as found in stock DMC heads?
    I'll accept that maybe nobody has cc'd the ports, or if so, not inclined to publish the numbers, but, the bore sizes?

Dished or domed pistons in the DMC stocker?

Has anyone compiled a comprehensive Delorean registry that is viewable online or otherwise?

I'd appreciate the help and sharing, I'm not so much concerned exactly what the runners are for now. Maybe later but, probably not.

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast