FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 ... LastLast

Thread: Ask David and Farrar: Technical Questions and Advice About Carbureting a DeLorean

My VIN:    02613

Club(s):   (DCF)

Do you seriously expect us to have such esoteric information committed to memory? Most of us hop in our cars and drive them; we do not build racing cars.

A Workshop Manual costs about as much as a decent haircut. If you choose not to buy one, then you will have to wait until one of us has the free time to go and look all of this information up for you, so be patient.
    3.0L, automatic, carbureted

Not a DeLorean Guru

My VIN:    01049

Quote Originally Posted by Farrar View Post
    Do you seriously expect us to have such esoteric information committed to memory? Most of us hop in our cars and drive them; we do not build racing cars.

A Workshop Manual costs about as much as a decent haircut. If you choose not to buy one, then you will have to wait until one of us has the free time to go and look all of this information up for you, so be patient.
    +1

The DeLorean community, while there are some modifications here and there, is not a hot rodding type of car community in the least.
    -Mike

My engine twists my frame.

1981 DeLorean, Carb LS4 swap completed
    1999 Corvette, cam/headers/intake manifold, 400 rwhp
    2005 Elise, stock
    2016 Chevy Cruze

Banned

I expect and demand nothing from anyone and own a factory manual. I've looked at the Volvo manual too. Thank you very much.

Sorry, I thought this was a carburetor sub-section of the CUSTOM DELOREAN section. My guess is it would be kinda hard to advise about custom carb setups without knowing some of the answers. I know if MY NAME was on this section, I'd know the answers!

Further be it for me to think some here may actually have an engine or two open with parts laying around.

Good luck with your custom carb section. I'll not intrude again.

See you later, Bill.

P.S. - I did not name the thread. If I had, I would have named it "Q&A about carbureting a stock DeLorean."

Banned

My VIN:    16510 and carbureted

Club(s):   (GCD) (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by EarlHickey View Post
    I expect and demand nothing from anyone and own a factory manual. I've looked at the Volvo manual too. Thank you very much.

Sorry, I thought this was a carburetor sub-section of the CUSTOM DELOREAN section. My guess is it would be kinda hard to advise about custom carb setups without knowing some of the answers. I know if MY NAME was on this section, I'd know the answers!

Further be it for me to think some here may actually have an engine or two open with parts laying around.

Good luck with your custom carb section. I'll not intrude again.
    Anything other than a Motorcraft 2100 sucks and isn't allowed on any Delorean (carbureted) that I support. I'll do my best to help someone with K-jet but I ain't working on any carb unless its a Motorcraft 2100.

Quote Originally Posted by Farrar View Post
    See you later, Bill.
    Huh?

My VIN:    11596

Honestly can't decide if Earl is a troll or for real.
    Andy Lien

VIN 11596 Jan 1982 build - owned since Nov. 2000!
    Total frame-off restoration completed 2021-2023

Photography and Backpacking is life.

Was Fargo, ND
    Now Kansas City

Quote Originally Posted by 82DMC12 View Post
    Honestly can't decide if Earl is a troll or for real.
    I think it's somebody pretending to be Bill pretending not to be Bill. That would be far more entertaining than a mere troll.

Banned

carburetors and DeLoreans

Here is Bill Robertson's e-mail address: [email protected]
    Bill is a friend of mine in North Carolina who has tons of Volvo literature at his disposal and should be able to give you any specs on the PRV engine that you might possibly need while constructing your carb setup. He also owns two carbureted DeLoreans so he knows a lot about this alternative fuel delivery system.

Best regards.
    Farrar Hudkins

This Bill you pointed me to in your kind PM?

Look Mr Hudkins, you don't know me from Adam. What I can assure you is that it's very likely I've forgotten more about tuning engines than you'll ever know. When you see a Delorean with a header tuned for what is actually there and carbs far more capable than what your pal is certain has no equal, you'll know I've been there and I'm certainly not pimping barbaric motorcraft carbs, or named Bill.

Just so you learn something from this, IR for this engine, with it's very soft camshaft and port tuning that takes advantage of the very long rod:stroke ratio while avoiding beating the shit out of the air plate and regulator, will perform very well with uncharacteristically small bores, especially with an intelligently designed header having appropriately sized primaries and an effective collector.

I'll even be kind and share some of the numbers.....

34-38mm's
    1 3/8 OD by 32-34" requiring multiple crossovers to keep a very tight and long collector end from having a traffic jam

Have you ever seen such an exhaust?

"Ask David and Farrar: Technical Questions and Advice About Carbureting a DeLorean"

Should this have actually been titled, "Post Here for a Continuation of the Same Dead Horse Motocraft 5200 Trick"?

I'm really a nice guy and will help anyone who is respectful, but, I don't suffer people talking about my haircut very well.

I also admit when I simply don't know the answers or am out of my league if my silence doesn't suffice. I damned sure don't talk down to strangers just because I don't know the topic.

Good Day.

Banned

My VIN:    16510 and carbureted

Club(s):   (GCD) (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Why are you publishing someone's email address in a public forum and attacking Farrar?

Abuse is easy to throw around on the Internet. It's also easy to shrug off. I find it hard to believe that a grown man would have such problems with a simple case of mistaken identity, especially since he uses the screen name of a fictional character from a cancelled TV show and never signs any of his posts. Nonetheless, I seem to have irritated him. OK, but since his purpose in coming here seems to have been simply to brag about his own skill and ask a bunch of questions that would prove how much more knowledgeable he is than the rest of us, I, frankly, could give a shit.

I am still ready to help, to the best of my ability, anyone who would like information about carbureting a DeLorean. I freely admit that I only know one method of doing so, which involves leaving the engine alone and replacing only the fuel system. I am no Bill Robertson, but I never will be. Where my knowledge falls short, I will point in the direction of where knowledge lies, be it in a book, a Google search, or another person. Just because my name is in the title of this thread does not mean that I am some sort of PRV or hot-rodding guru. I do not know where that assertion came from, but it sounds suspiciously like Bill's "Oh, aren't YOU the carb guru now?" which he has used to abuse me whenever I have had a question or some uncertainty since he was banned from here.

Perhaps my name should be taken off of this thread. I may not know everything, but I studied carburetor operation before I changed fuel delivery systems, and my DeLorean has run a carburetor for four years and I believe that I have picked up some knowledge along the way.

Or I am an ignoramus and an asshole. I will let you all decide for yourselves, since I don't care what anyone thinks of me anymore.

[Insert Steve saying "Farrar sucks" here.]

Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 ... LastLast