FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: And this is why you don't lower your car by heating the springs

My friends think I'm nuts jawn101's Avatar

My VIN:    02100

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by sdg3205 View Post
    Terrifying was using spring compressors on those bad boys!
    I had never used spring compressors before and as Clint can attest, I kept asking him if they were safe, since it looked to me like the thing was going to bend in half and shoot out the other side.

Even *scarier* was REMOVING the spring compressors from those springs after they came out of the car, not knowing whether or not the coils were storing any energy.
    Jon
    1981 DMC-12 #02100. July 1981. 5-speed, black, grooved w/flap.
    restoration log, March 2011 to present
    full and detailed photo restoration log

What springs did you end up using?? Did you only do the fronts?

Looks like a fun day in the garage.......

Quote Originally Posted by dmc3130 View Post
    What springs did you end up using?? Did you only do the fronts?

Looks like a fun day in the garage.......
    Hey man, long time no hear I got Hervey's lowering springs, and I did buy all 4. But because we lose the light so fast and had other things to accomplish for a new owner that day, we only installed the fronts. Rears will have to be another day!
    Last edited by jawn101; 02-20-2012 at 06:56 PM.
    Jon

In the long thread on this subject on the old site the consensus of opinion for those not wanting to buy new lowering springs was to cut off a portion of the current springs. Apparently a number of owners have done that with no known issues reported in the old thread. As I recall there was no support for heating the springs.

One of those purists you keep hearing about. sdg3205's Avatar

My VIN:    thirty two 'o five

Club(s):   (PNDC)

FWIW I bought Martin's front springs and love them.
    Dave

Here, somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by flyinglow View Post
    In the long thread on this subject on the old site the consensus of opinion for those not wanting to buy new lowering springs was to cut off a portion of the current springs. Apparently a number of owners have done that with no known issues reported in the old thread. As I recall there was no support for heating the springs.
    Yeah, for good reason. I know people with cut springs who are quite happy with them, but for normal plebes like me who wouldn't know how to do that (or have the tools!) buying proper lowering springs is definitely the way to go.
    Jon

My VIN:    17097 Canadian Edition

Club(s):   (DOI)

Quote Originally Posted by flyinglow View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jawn101 View Post
    Yeah, for good reason. I know people with cut springs who are quite happy with them, but for normal plebes like me who wouldn't know how to do that (or have the tools!) buying proper lowering springs is definitely the way to go.
    Yep, I was one of the main contributors to that thread on the old site. I cut mine using some solid advice from a big carburetor enthusiast who seems to have few fans on this site!!!! ‘Nuff said! However his advice was very helpful to me and I cut my front springs. It is not the ideal solution to lowering but it is cheaper than buying lowering springs. I intend to buy springs at some time, but cutting the existing ones was a quick solution for me. No regrets. The car looks and handles well.

......Mike......

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

You can imagine how scary it must be to remove these springs and get the compressor off. Shops have to deal with this kind of stuff all too often and then the owner wonders why it took so long and why it cost so much. It really is amazing what people do, especially when they do not fully appreciate all of the consequences and dangers. It is not always readily apparent how much energy is stored in a spring till you see one go flying. Cutting seems almost smart compared to heating! At least you have to remove the spring and do it under more controlled conditions.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    1768

Quote Originally Posted by micmak View Post
    ...cutting the existing ones was a quick solution for me. No regrets. The car looks and handles well...

Ditto here.

What shocks did you end up getting?????? Like to know what you think of them.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast