FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Diptstick Tube Leaking - How to Fix?

My VIN:    16113

Club(s):   (SCDC) (DCUK)

Diptstick Tube Leaking - How to Fix?

I have not driven my car for a few weeks due to it being down while doing an EFI conversion (go to EFI section for details). The car suddenly began leaking transmission fluid which I thought was strange since I hadn't been driving it and it didn't leak before. I thought it was leaking at the pan gasket but looking a little closer, it looks like it is leaking a little higher - right where the dipstick tube joins into the transmission. I'm going to take another look tonight to confirm it. What I believe is the bracket that the tube is in the way to see it clearly (Item #12 on this link? http://store.delorean.com/c-388-4-5-...umpsseals.aspx). Other threads have indicated that the o-ring can become misaligned or whatever thus causing the leak. Since we've been in the engine quite a bit, I'm pretty sure we have wriggled the tube around and probably have messed up the connection at the transmission. Assuming it is leaking at the tube, how is this fixed?

Builder of the first Delorean Time Machine

My VIN:    2072

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by lazabby View Post
    I have not driven my car for a few weeks due to it being down while doing an EFI conversion (go to EFI section for details). The car suddenly began leaking transmission fluid which I thought was strange since I hadn't been driving it and it didn't leak before. I thought it was leaking at the pan gasket but looking a little closer, it looks like it is leaking a little higher - right where the dipstick tube joins into the transmission. I'm going to take another look tonight to confirm it. What I believe is the bracket that the tube is in the way to see it clearly (Item #12 on this link? http://store.delorean.com/c-388-4-5-...umpsseals.aspx). Other threads have indicated that the o-ring can become misaligned or whatever thus causing the leak. Since we've been in the engine quite a bit, I'm pretty sure we have wriggled the tube around and probably have messed up the connection at the transmission. Assuming it is leaking at the tube, how is this fixed?
    I just did this fix.

Unbolt the tube, remove the o-ring, find an equally sized O-ring, reinstall. You may want to put some transmission fluid around the new ring when reinstalling.

You can do it if the car is on jack stands.

--buddy

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

(Item #12 on this link? http://store.delorean.com/c-388-4-5-...umpsseals.aspx). I'm pretty sure we have wriggled the tube around and probably have messed up the connection at the transmission. Assuming it is leaking at the tube, how is this fixed?
    The o-ring is #8 in that picture. Putting on two O-rings helps. You do not need to remove anything (other than the dipstick tube) to fix this. Loosening the bracket at the top (#2) may help. If the bracket at the top is already loose, that is what got you into this trouble. Go easy, I've seen some real hackage in this area and it should not be that complicated.

If you think the bracket is in the way you are looking from the wrong angle. Get a mirror to help find the screw (#5) that secures the tube.

After it goes back together use the mirror to be sure the O-ring has not slipped out of place up around the tube.
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

President, DeLorean Industries

My VIN:    5646,5080, 5880, 10234, 3639, 2518, 10586, 1538

Exact part number is 102009. As stated above more then one is common on this part. This is the same O ring commonly left out on the engine block pick up or between the case halve and crank case. Probably the most important O ring on the car as it decides if you have oil pressure or not and if your transmission retains fluid!

Not recommend to go the extra mile and smear RTV all over the o rings before instaling the tube. Unless a PO or mechanic has scratched the dip stick bore removing the old seals the new o rings are plenty to seal the tube.
    www.deloreanindustries.com Every Detail Matters

My VIN:    3997

I have had this EXACT same problem...Don't use those stupid O-Rings. Use an Otterstat Gasket. Mine has not leaked since. It seals so much better. (http://store.delorean.com/p-6350-the...ling-bush.aspx)
    Trust me on this...I was having this problem for a long time and this fixed it.
    Living The Dream Since 2005 - VIN#3997

My VIN:    3997

Just for reference..this is how mine was sealed up by the PO...and yet it still leaked like crazy. The Otterstat Switch Seal stopped the entire leak without having to add any sealer at all.

Engine Removal (21).jpg
    Living The Dream Since 2005 - VIN#3997

I took out the dipstick. There was no o-ring. The only thing there was RTV. I have an older otterstat gasket. I'll try that on there.

I took out the dipstick. There was no o-ring. The only thing there was RTV. I have an older otterstat gasket. I'll try that on there.
    Someone mentioned that the o-ring might still be down in the hole. I'll check it out. In the meantime I'll install the otterstat gasket. There is no problem installing it with the hole being wet with the ATV fluid is there?

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

There is no problem installing it with the hole being wet with the ATV fluid is there?
    No, wet with ATF is actually a good thing. It helps the seal seat w/o scuffing or pinching it.

Since you found RTV there, check the bore for scars mentioned and the tube for deformities (smooth and round). RTV sucks when it comes to sealing ATF! If you must use a sealant, use a small bead of Rectorseal #5 just below the seal, but you should have the area clean and dry before you install it and not disturb it overnight...it will seal it. Better yet, but harder to find is the Rectorseal with PTFE #?, it's for higher temp and high vibration areas.

Banned

My VIN:    16510 and carbureted

Club(s):   (GCD) (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan King View Post
    Just for reference..this is how mine was sealed up by the PO...and yet it still leaked like crazy. The Otterstat Switch Seal stopped the entire leak without having to add any sealer at all.

Engine Removal (21).jpg
    I was going to say JB Weld will fix anything, but apparantely not.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast