FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 4 of 28 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 ... LastLast

Thread: DeLoreans In The Wild! Post your pics here

My VIN:    02613

Club(s):   (DCF)

Couldn't believe my eyes yesterday when I was helping a friend move some paintings out of her house and right down the block was a covered DeLorean. I thought I recognized the front end immediately, but had my doubts until I saw the right rear wheel uncovered. It looks like an early (dark) wheel but it could just be dirty. This was mid-afternoon and there appeared to be no one at home but a cleaning lady who didn't want to do anything but simply wave from the livingroom window. I am thinking of driving my D there and saying hello. You can't really tell from the pic but I know it was a DeLorean wheel I saw on the right rear there. Besides, what other car has eyebrows visible under a tarp?

IMAG0005.jpgIMAG0006.jpgIMAG0007.jpg

P.S.: This car is five minutes from where I work, so I will keep an eye on it.
    Last edited by Farrar; 05-22-2012 at 12:41 PM.
    3.0L, automatic, carbureted

My VIN:    1494

Club(s):   (DMA)

Quote Originally Posted by ramblinmike View Post
    We need a thread of, "I saw this DeLorean in the wild while driving my DeLorean".

I have, once. And my reaction? 'Holy Crap it's a DeLorean!' ::Slams on the gas:: (Meanwhile, I am currently driving the one I own, but I still get that reaction every time I see one randomly).

I have encountered a few DeLoreans while driving, but only once while driving my car (and not on the way to any DeLorean/DeLorean owner gatherings, and that was not parked at auto shops (I have passed a 3-4 at shops, and they are not owners in the club, but that doesn't count as being 'in the wild' to me).

Turns out it was someone in the DMA that had just bought their car, and this happened before they joined the club. It was pretty funny, the owner gave me the thumbs up as I passed by and honked on the highway.

(Picture was taken with an old blackberry)
    DMC.jpg
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Steve Cosgrove, Vin. 1494
    "I'm Kicking Through The Walls In My Mind..." - Goo Goo Dolls
    On-going Engine and Car Modifications: http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?50...Engine-Upgrade

My VIN:    1494

Club(s):   (DMA)

Here is a picture my friend in Germany sent me of a DeLorean he spotted on the Autobahn (the license plate is blacked out because I posted it on a website I have of all the cars I run into in the 'Wild'; Roamingcars.com)

deloreanautobahn.jpg
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Steve Cosgrove, Vin. 1494
    "I'm Kicking Through The Walls In My Mind..." - Goo Goo Dolls
    On-going Engine and Car Modifications: http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?50...Engine-Upgrade

My VIN:    6720

Club(s):   (AZ-D) (LVDG)

I finally saw my first Delorean in the wild last night!!!
    I go to a bar in a town (San Luis Obispo "SLO" CA) about 30 miles from my apartment a few times a week, and I normally drive the D when I go to SLO.
    Last night, another one of the regulars says to me, did you see there's a Delorean out front? I go, yeah, that's mine, and he goes, no, there's another one, right down the block!
    I run outside looking for it, and sure enough, about 50 meters away, another Delorean! I had heard from a friend there was another in town after he thought he saw me someplace I wasn't, but this was incredible! What were the odds I was finally seeing one in the wild, on a night I had mine no less!
    I left a note under the windshield wiper and about an hour later the owner texted me. We met up for a quick minute, talked about a few things related to each others cars, and agreed we needed to make sure to meet up again. I told him about the forum, so James, if you're reading this, Hey!

A friend spotted a D last week and sent me this picture (I forgot to post it here until now). She saw it at a Chick-fil-a in Tuscon, AZ on Monday, July 30 2012 at about 1pm. Of course I asked for details as soon as she texted me, but she had already left.

Oh, AND I spotted my second D in the wild on 7/28/12. I was about to get on the highway to go to where mine was to work on it, and I spotted one exiting the highway.
    At first I thought it was another local owners (the first D I had ever seen in the wild, scroll up to post #34) but I noticed a difference on the rear bumper, so I skipped the on-ramp, pulled aside and yup, different owner. I rolled down the window, and so he wouldn't think I a lunatic, I said I own 6720! and asked if he had time to pull over for a moment. He lives about 20 miles from me, and it's his daily driver. We BS'd a bit and exchanged contact info, agreed it would be cool for me him and the other local owner to get together and really turn heads (it's a small town to have 3 owners here I think)
    I took a picture, but won't post it here b/c it's more of us than the car. But still a sighting worth documenting to me.

Car Fanatic. Technical Novice. pezzonovante88's Avatar

My VIN:    Previous Owner of 5875

Club(s):   (DOI)

Last Sunday, I had an encounter with one near my house. It was a non-club owner, but I didn't get a good look at the car. It was really quite exciting, though. The whole story is on the Ontario Delorean Club section.
    Previous Owner of 5875 - 1981/Grey/5-Speed/Grooved Hood

Quote Originally Posted by jackb View Post
    A friend spotted a D last week and sent me this picture (I forgot to post it here until now). She saw it at a Chick-fil-a in Tuscon, AZ on Monday, July 30 2012 at about 1pm. Of course I asked for details as soon as she texted me, but she had already left.

What a beauty. a speck of dirt like me could never have something so great.

Roads?..Where we're going we don't need..Roads!

The first time this has ever happened. While driving the DeLorean we just happened upon this guy. He was not very sociable. In fact, when I pulled up right behind him, he almost just shut his door and left with out saying anything. Well, I was able to stop him for just a brief moment.

Me: Hey there! How ya doing have we met?
    Guy: No I don't think so.
    Me: We'll my names James its nice to meet you!
    Guy: Hi my names Mike
    Me: Well this is just crazy, this just never happens around here! What year is she?
    Mike: '82
    Me: Well she's very pretty man!
    Mike: How long have you had yours?
    Me: About five years now.
    Mike: Whats your mileage?
    Me: 23,000
    Mike: Oh, I'm about 4,000
    Me: We'll that's fantastic man! Look, I can you're trying to get outta here, so don't let me keep you. I'm on DMCTalk, ever get on there?
    Mike: No I don't do that.
    Me: Well, would you ever like to meet up sometime? Do a show?
    Mike: No I don't really take it out too much.
    Me: Oh, ok then. It was nice meeting you man. See ya later!
    Mike: Ok, bye!

This guy was just not having any kind of dialogue. I was really excited, you know seeing one in the wild, whilst in mine. But this guy was giving off the "why the hell is this guy talking to me" vibe. Well, anyway. I THINK it's VIN 10089, but I can't be sure.
    1-800-273-8255

My VIN:    3299

Quote Originally Posted by thirdmanj View Post
    This guy was just not having any kind of dialogue. I was really excited, you know seeing one in the wild, whilst in mine. But this guy was giving off the "why the hell is this guy talking to me" vibe.

That's a bummer when that happens. Some people have just owned their DeLorean for so long (prolly before internet/DMCTalk days), and they've owned it "alone" without having much contact with other owners that they can't get outside their comfort zone to socialize with fellow owners. Prolly didn't help that it looks like there's at least 20 years age difference. Some people struggle with relating to others who are younger than them. It's not so bad in group settings or big get-togethers, but 1-on-1 and especially meeting for the first time, some people just struggle with being social while having a big age gap.

Good try though to get him involved here at the forums or to go to local shows together. He looks like he'd be someone who has owned the car for a long, long time - like before DMCH days. I'm guessing he remembers the days before the recent "DeLoreans are cool!!!" wave when the DeLorean was the car for all sorts of butt-end of jokes. Heck, I remember in late 2003 when I got my car, there were a decent number of people who had some pretty rude things to say about the car. If that is the case and he only takes it out rarely because of the fear of dealing with rude people, that's a real shame.
    DMCTalk.org Moderator

Actual snippet of a conversation from Sept 2013:

Me: Eddie, I can't wait to get the car back when you're done with it.

Eddie: Yeah, you'll be able to give the car gas, and it won't be - like - embarrassing....

Page 4 of 28 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 ... LastLast