FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Adjusting alternator tension

Current custodian of 2109 Ozzie's Avatar

My VIN:    2109

Club(s):   (DCF)

Hey all, this is a great handy little mod, but just to give credit where it's due...

Date: Thu, Feb 9, 2012 at 3:48 PM
    Subject: Re: Hi MATT, RE: [DML] Additional Photos of Bryan Pearce's HEIM Trailing Arm Joints
    To: ********,*********,***********

OK, I couldn't get pictures today. Anyway, I use it on my 3.0L with a serpentine belt, but I would imagine it would work the same for you. Everything is from mcmaster.com. The rod ends are 5/16", but I'm using 8mm bolts, so it fits, but tightly. Check and make sure you guys have 8mm bolts at both ends of your alternator bracket. Here's the parts list:

159915K273 PTFE-Lined Stainless Steel Ball Joint Rod End, 5/16"-24 Right-Hand Male Shank, 5/16" Ball ID, 1-1/4"

259915K232 PTFE-Lined Stainless Steel Ball Joint Rod End, 5/16"-24 Left-Hand Male Shank, 5/16" Ball ID, 1-1/4"

38419K1 2Easy-Adjust Threaded Connecting Rod, 2" Overall Length, 5/16"-24 Threaded Female Ends

194450A240 18-8 Stainless Steel Left-Hand Threaded Thin Hex Nut, 5/16"-24 Thread Size, 1/2" Width, 3/16" Height
    Per Pack 4.20

294805A213 Type 316 Stainless Steel Thin Hex Nut, 5/16"-24 Thread Size, 1/2" Width, 3/16" Height, Packs of 25
    Per Pack 5.35

I bought 316 stainless steel hex nuts for the right-hand thread because they came in packs of 25 (instead of 100).

Matt
    "Supermatty" as he was called on the .com DMCTalk, recently posted on the DML that he had done this. I and others asked him for details and he sent the picture from earlier on this thread, along with the parts list above.
    Personal Blog: DeLorean Ownership & Upkeep (Yeah, it hasn't been updated in a while, but some good stuff there if you look.)
    ->Last posting:"Smooth shifting on a 30+ year old car."
    ->Most read posting:"Going 100% LEDs on your car is a good idea, and more feasible than ever."

My VIN:    03572

+1

Good job Matthew.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

My VIN:    02613

Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    Thanks. I will place my order for the parts. Good job getting the right parts first time.
    Somebody already posted "credit where credit is due," and I will add to it: Matthew David sent me a complete parts list in a Facebook message. All I had to do was plug in the part numbers at McMaster and add to my order (I was also ordering some hose and O-rings). I would give him the credit not only for the innovation but for saving all of us the trouble of figuring out exactly which parts to order. Super guy!

Edit: the picture I posted was also from Facebook. He sent me a few others. If y'all need them for reference, I can dig therm up and find them, too, but the one I posted is in my opinion the best for reference, since the fascia et al are not installed in that photo.
    3.0L, automatic, carbureted

My VIN:    4534

I bought two off Ebay because I knew my Nova would need one. Unfortunately they are way too short to use on my Mustang. Looks like I'm going to have to buy a billet aluminum kit from Summit for the 289. There's a spacer I'd need that I couldn't build as nice as the summit kit. Here's what my ebay bracket looks like. This is on my Nova's Inline 6.

Red
    VIN 4534
    Born - October 1981
    Brought back to life - July 2011

"Former Delorean owning Guru" Spittybug's Avatar

My VIN:    Formerly 2329

Just did this today. No brainer. Makes life so much easier and virtually no chance of slipping. For those so inclined, I bet this would work for the clutch pedal adjustment too, just check the dimensions.

This was my first order from McMaster-Carr. I have a new favorite store. I ordered on Monday afternoon and I'm all done and installed by 3:00 cst on Wednesday. Shipping was a whopping $5.25 or something equally low. Wow.

Owen
    I.Brew.Beer.

My VIN:    5086

Quote Originally Posted by Kenny_Z View Post
    I found one on ebay for 8 bucks. I couldn't build it for that cheap. I am planning to put a caddy alternator in though. The tab placement is a little different but I should be able to make it work.
    What was it called? I searched around a bit but couldn't find any premade kit. I don't have an interest in spending $50+ dollars on a tensioner although I like this idea.

My VIN:    4534

The Buell part I bought won't work on the stock Delorean alternator. The turnbuckle end is too large and gets right into the fan blades. You'd have to grind it down and I think it would take too much out of the structure to be safe. It'd be possible to build an extension bracket but by the time you did that it'd be worth getting what Farrar posted.

It works fine for my Nova so it wasn't a total bust.
    Red
    VIN 4534
    Born - October 1981
    Brought back to life - July 2011

Question

Do you reuse the existing bolts, are they long enough?

I assume this will work with Hervey's alternator as well?

I would like to do this.

Also, we sell these at Jegs, I wonder if these would work(rod ends/heim joints small enough to clear):
    They are stainless with chrome moly ends....

http://www.marchperformance.com/pg51.html#rods

They advertise by min/max span. Anyone know what that would be?

Thanks!!

President, DeLorean Industries

My VIN:    5646,5080, 5880, 10234, 3639, 2518, 10586, 1538

The alternator tensioning bracket has a slight bend to it. You will need to compensate for that with spacers. I think it will be really close to the fan blades though.
    www.deloreanindustries.com Every Detail Matters

My VIN:    02613

Quote Originally Posted by DPI JOSH View Post
    The alternator tensioning bracket has a slight bend to it. You will need to compensate for that with spacers.
    The Heim joints pivot enough to compensate for this, at least on my stock engine with DMCH alternator.
    3.0L, automatic, carbureted

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast