FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10

Thread: Adjusting alternator tension

My VIN:    6720

Club(s):   (AZ-D) (LVDG)

I'd rather bring back this old thread than start a new one on the same subject... I ordered all the parts Farrar posted from Mcmaster-Carr to put the turnbuckle on my alternator, and at it's shortest adjustment, it was still too long to fit. (My alternator is from DMC CA)

I measured the stock bracket while installed, it is approx 3.5" from the center of each of the bolt heads when the belt is at tension.
    That is not much, and the turnbuckles I can find are longer than that at the shortest position.
    Has anybody used a shorter turnbuckle?
    5 speed, grooved hood, grey interior (Nov '81)
    QA1 coilovers, Delorean.eu LCA brackets, DPNW Poly swaybar bushings, DMCMW shock tower bar, Deloreana.com convex mirrors, DPNW Toby Tabs, DPI exhaust, C4 Corvette third brake light, PJ Grady tail light boards, Bitsyncmaster relays

My VIN:    03238 Grey & Black Hybrid - Auto - work in progress Former owner 10902 - Universal 93 Raffle Car

Are you sure you are using the best belt for the application? Maybe you just want the next longer belt? $8 fix at the auto parts store...

My VIN:    6720

Club(s):   (AZ-D) (LVDG)

It's been a while since I changed the belt, too long to remember the details, but I had gotten it at Advance (or similar, a local parts store. Not from DMC) and it was the correct one according to the computer...
    I'll have to pull it off eventually and measure it. What is the correct length of the belt I should be using?
    5 speed, grooved hood, grey interior (Nov '81)
    QA1 coilovers, Delorean.eu LCA brackets, DPNW Poly swaybar bushings, DMCMW shock tower bar, Deloreana.com convex mirrors, DPNW Toby Tabs, DPI exhaust, C4 Corvette third brake light, PJ Grady tail light boards, Bitsyncmaster relays

My VIN:    10644

I recently replaced the belts on my engine but just couldn’t get the alternator belt to stop squealing. I bought the Jegs product linked a few pages back and just threw it on tonight. I needed longer bolts since the mounts are thicker than the stock bar. Everything’s nice and clean, the belt is tensioned, and the squealing has stopped.

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10