FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Blind spot detection mirrors. Anyone done/interested in this?

My VIN:    2823

Blind spot detection mirrors. Anyone done/interested in this?

So today I was out driving and for the first time, I ALMOST pulled over on someone. Then I thought it would be nice to have a blind spot detection system in the DeLorean. I was just wondering before I did this if anyone else had already done this (don't want to re-invent the wheel) If not, I'm looking at a kit that I'll most likely get and try it out. Would anyone else be interested in this? Any comments or questions would be great. BTW, no I don't have the convex mirrors (yet) I still have the stock ones. However, if I go this way, I will most likely get the convex mirrors as well to put this system with.
    81 DeLorean w 4.3 Chevy Vortec engine mated to Porsche 915 transaxle

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Banged your VIN'S mom

Just pick up a spot mirror at Advance. 2 bucks.
    Truthfully if your mirrors are adjusted correctly you don't need them but I have one on my work van DS mirror and I find it useful. Anyone that feels the need to call you out on such a ridiculous thing can go find a life.

My VIN:    5625

Quote Originally Posted by at88mph View Post
    So today I was out driving and for the first time, I ALMOST pulled over on someone. Then I thought it would be nice to have a blind spot detection system in the DeLorean. I was just wondering before I did this if anyone else had already done this (don't want to re-invent the wheel) If not, I'm looking at a kit that I'll most likely get and try it out. Would anyone else be interested in this? Any comments or questions would be great. BTW, no I don't have the convex mirrors (yet) I still have the stock ones. However, if I go this way, I will most likely get the convex mirrors as well to put this system with.
    I would definately be interested. Let us know which kit you're looking at.
    You can't buy happiness, but you can buy a DeLorean and that's sort of the same thing....

My VIN:    6720

Club(s):   (AZ-D) (LVDG)

Of course convex mirrors help, but how exactly are yours adjusted for viewing? Anecdotally, most people mirrors I see are adjusted wrong, creating an easily eliminable blind spot.
    Check out this link for how to set them properly: http://pages.cs.wisc.edu/~gdguo/driving/BlindSpot.htm
    5 speed, grooved hood, grey interior (Nov '81)
    QA1 coilovers, Delorean.eu LCA brackets, DPNW Poly swaybar bushings, DMCMW shock tower bar, Deloreana.com convex mirrors, DPNW Toby Tabs, DPI exhaust, C4 Corvette third brake light, PJ Grady tail light boards, Bitsyncmaster relays

My VIN:    6585

Well now there is good news, and there is bad news.

Good News: They actually DO make these systems that you can install aftermarket into your car.

http://www.goshers.com/blind-spot-sy...r-car-and-suv/

Bad News: In order to install these things, you will need to drill into your rear quarter panels (and bumper for the delux system for backing up), as well as your interior panels to mount the warning lights.

It is a great idea IMO. You might also be able to get away with mounting the side sensors further back and drilling into the sides of the bumper/fascia. Which is more ideal than drilling stainless. Not only is that a cheaper/easier way to keep this as a reversible mod, BUT you can also paint the sensors to match in order to better hide them. Something you cannot do on the body panels.
    Robert

People they come together, people they fall apart...

My VIN:    03572

Also helps to have your side markers flash with your blinkers. Not that you would see the blind spot but the other guy may see what your going to do.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

My VIN:    <2000

Club(s):   (DCF)

Quote Originally Posted by jackb View Post
    Of course convex mirrors help, but how exactly are yours adjusted for viewing? Anecdotally, most people mirrors I see are adjusted wrong, creating an easily eliminable blind spot.
    Check out this link for how to set them properly: http://pages.cs.wisc.edu/~gdguo/driving/BlindSpot.htm
    +1 I adjust my mirrors just so I can't see the side of my car, and it works to expand the viewable area. Regardless, in the DeLorean I still look over my shoulder, sometimes twice not because I can't see an adjacent car, but because sometimes the car is swerving as the driver digs out his phone.
    Dana

1981 DeLorean DMC-12 (5 Speed, Gas Flap, Black Interior, Windshield Antenna, Dark Gray)
    Restored as "mostly correct, but with flaws corrected". Pictures and comments of my restoration are in the albums section on my profile.
    1985 Chevrolet Corvette, Z51, 4+3 manual
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (D/D)
    2010 Camaro SS (Transformers Edition)

My VIN:    2823

Thanks for the replies everyone and also the link as well! I was looking at some of these as well:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/OTTNAVI-UNIV...xVC1Tp&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Universal-Fr...MAAOSwnbZYCkx5

and there are quite a few choices out there and like you mentioned, the downside is having to drill into the body somewhere. I'm not sure exactly how high/low the placement is supposed to be and I was thinking, since I have a ground effect package that MAYBE I could get away with inserting the sensors on the bottom rear ground effect and I was going to mount the sensors more than likely on the mirrors themselves (like most cars that have the feature are; which I realize is more work but...)

Again, thanks to everyone for the suggestions and replies

Quote Originally Posted by DMCVegas View Post
    Well now there is good news, and there is bad news.

Good News: They actually DO make these systems that you can install aftermarket into your car.

http://www.goshers.com/blind-spot-sy...r-car-and-suv/

Bad News: In order to install these things, you will need to drill into your rear quarter panels (and bumper for the delux system for backing up), as well as your interior panels to mount the warning lights.
    81 DeLorean w 4.3 Chevy Vortec engine mated to Porsche 915 transaxle

My VIN:    02613

Club(s):   (DCF)

If the sensors are small enough, could you get sneaky and mount them inside the rear side marker housings?
    3.0L, automatic, carbureted

My VIN:    16409

I have these offered by Tom in Poland:

http://delorean.neostrada.pl/DMC/mirror.htm

I like mine and ordered them from Rob Grady. Call and see if he has any left in stock.
    Chris Miles

For Better or Worse I own a DeLorean!
    1983 Grey Manual, VIN #16409, Fresno, California