FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Running Rich.

One of those purists you keep hearing about. sdg3205's Avatar

My VIN:    thirty two 'o five

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Quote Originally Posted by jawn101 View Post
    Forgive the question (as I said, not an expert on this system!) but is this the same process as hooking a dwell meter to the orange wire to the diagnostic plug and adjusting the mixture screw, or is there another process to measure/adjust the FV?
    You're correct, Jon.

IIRC, you can take the signal from the FV off the bulkhead or right at the connector too. Not sure about you, but that diagnostic plug is a pain!
    Dave

Here, somewhere.

My VIN:    04552

Quote Originally Posted by sdg3205 View Post
    FV buzzing?
    I was watched a YouTube vid of my old DeLorean and it did buzz. Mine now doesn't really buzz???

One of those purists you keep hearing about. sdg3205's Avatar

My VIN:    thirty two 'o five

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Quote Originally Posted by Rich4552 View Post
    Mine now doesn't really buzz???
    it's audible. If you're not sure, try unplugging it at operating temperature then plugging it back in. You'll hear it stop, start or do nothing. If it is working, you'll hear it stop buzzing and the engine will idle differently.

If nothing at all happens, check your electrical.
    Dave

Here, somewhere.

My VIN:    2565

Quote Originally Posted by sdg3205 View Post
    it's audible. If you're not sure, try unplugging it at operating temperature then plugging it back in. You'll hear it stop, start or do nothing. If it is working, you'll hear it stop buzzing and the engine will idle differently.

If nothing at all happens, check your electrical.
    On my car, I unplug and plug, but no difference in idle. I hear it stop and start buzzing but no difference in idle. The one thing that did make a difference in my idle one time was one of my bulkhead connectors. The top nearest the back of the car, I unplugged while engine was running and made a difference in idle. I plugged and went back to normal. But then I unplugged again and no difference.

My VIN:    04552

Awesome I will start checking all this out. Thanks for you time everyone.

My VIN:    10904

Any resolution to this? My car runs rich too as I'm at about 7400 feet elevation in New Mexico. I had no idea till a couple weeks ago when a friend followed me up a mountain to about 9000 feet and he said his eyes were burning almost the whole way up! I never could get my idle mix set right (no swinging of the needle on the dwell meter at idle) so I just left the O2 sensor disconnected. Was this a mistake?

-Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Rich4552 View Post
    Hello everyone, So I bought my D from Maryland at sea level. I live in Utah about 4,500 elevation. The day my d got here it started right up and was idling fine (930rmp) I noticed my cat has been gutted, well I drove it around for the next week or two and put around 100 miles on it. I know its running very rich. So one day I had both boors in my garage open with my D running. As I was trying to lean it out the exhaust gas is so bad my eyes water like smoke from a camp fire.... my old D had a gutted cat but I also unplugged the 02. Ran fine and didn't smell like this at all. I don't even wanna drive it cuz it makes me smell like exhaust. Should I unplug this O2 as well and just tune off what I see? Thanks

My VIN:    03572

Quote Originally Posted by rdarlington View Post
    Any resolution to this? My car runs rich too as I'm at about 7400 feet elevation in New Mexico. I had no idea till a couple weeks ago when a friend followed me up a mountain to about 9000 feet and he said his eyes were burning almost the whole way up! I never could get my idle mix set right (no swinging of the needle on the dwell meter at idle) so I just left the O2 sensor disconnected. Was this a mistake?

-Bob
    If your going to be driving with large altitude changes, I think you need to get your lambda system working. You would adjust it where you do most of your driving. I'm not sure how much the lambda can vary the mixture with altitude and keep it running at 1.00 lambda. My guess would be 5000 feet would not be a problem.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

My VIN:    0934

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Confirming that the K-Jet will compensate for elevation changes as Dave says.

Our D lives near sea level but on any of our trips in it over the years up as high at 6,500ft elevation there has never been an idle, starting or mixture problem. No tweaks required ever since it came from the factory.

Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    A working lambda system should compensate for altitude changes but it may not have been adjusted correctly when you bought it. If the lambda is working all you would need to do is set the dwell (duty cyle) of the FV after it has warmed up.
    March '81, 5-speed, black interior

My VIN:    10904

I've heard of a high altitude mod for the car but can't really find anything. Is this something documented in the workshop manual? Anything more than just adjusting idle mix for the altitude?

-Bob

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Quote Originally Posted by rdarlington View Post
    I've heard of a high altitude mod for the car but can't really find anything. Is this something documented in the workshop manual? Anything more than just adjusting idle mix for the altitude?

-Bob
    If the car spends most of it's time at high elevations you set the mixture at the higher level. The infamous hot start relay was supposed to be for high altitudes but was discovered to be unnecessary and never used (the white plug by the relays behind the passenger seat). If you are running rich and your O2 sensor is disconnected you need to get it connected (and probably replaced,) get the mixture set and in doing so probably find and fix the reason it was disconnected in the first place. Most likely because the Lambda system was not running. Does your frequency valve buzz?
    David Teitelbaum

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast