FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Increasing power to center AC vents

Banned

My VIN:    16510 and carbureted

Club(s):   (GCD) (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Increasing power to center AC vents

I got tired of not having much air coming out of my vents so I decided to disable my door vents in order to increase airflow to the center vents.

To me the door vents never seemed to put out any air worth getting excited about. To me the door vents seem to be poorly designed. You have tubing running to each door and each tube has connectors on each end where air can leak.

The mod is really simply. I removed the tubing from each side and used the plastic duct that sits above the steering wheel as a template for cutting styrofoam to fit into the housing the ducts would normally connect too.

I cut the foam a little larger than needed and used it to plug the center vents. Now I have much stronger air coming from the center vents.

The mod was virtually free and now I don't have to sweat this summer.
    Attached Images

My VIN:    Custodian of 5307

Steve
    Did you use anything to keep it stuck in or is it a tight fit? About how thick was the styrofoam about like a cheapie ice chest?
    1988 3.2 Ferrari Mondial

Banned

The foam I used was about half an inch thick.

I cut the foam a little larger than necessary so it would be a tight fit. As long as you do this and semi force it in there you will not need to seal it with anything.

If you want to seal it you could probably use foam sealer. I don't see any need to seal it though. Foam sealer is messy and you could get that stuff on parts of your car where you don't want it.

Give it a try and see if you like it. Like I said, this mod is virtually free and can be reversed at any time.

My VIN:    10XXX

Club(s):   (DCF)

A tennis ball fits perfectly, placed from the outside port.

steve
    Steve Liggett
    Treasure Island, FL
    1982 automatic, VIN 10XXX, grey int

Previous: VIN 5983, VIN 3670
    Who knows where my previous 1981 with 6 cylinder Chevy engine is these days (cannot find that VIN) ?

"Former Delorean owning Guru" Spittybug's Avatar

My VIN:    Formerly 2329

A Crystal Light drink mix can top (plastic disk) fits snugly in the end of the hose on either side of the dashboard. Quickly removable if desired. Works well.
    Owen
    I.Brew.Beer.

My VIN:    03572

I've always been thinking I would (someday) remove some of the plastic veins in the center vents to increase airflow and be able to direct the vents more (in my face).
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

Banned

Plugging the hose is fine but the reason I eliminate the hose completely is to limit the amount of cold air that leaks. It is 100 degrees down here and every bit counts.

The way I see it, if you leave the hose attached and plug the end of it you are allowing cold air to sit in a hose that isn't insulated. You are going to loose some cooling ability plus it is going to leak out the ends of the hose.

Removing the hoses and plugging their sources eliminates as much wasted air as possible.

Ever put your hand on the dash when it's in the sun (even with the AC on MAX)? You can burn your hand. We have got to get and "Eglass" windshield.
    Dave M vin 03572

Banned

A tinted windshield would be nice. I have a DMCH grey dash and I've never had the desire to touch it when hot. In no way am a bragging about it, but I can imagine it isn't as hot as a stock black dash.

Anyway, now I am seriously considering getting my windows tinted. I know a guy/shop that does tint work who gets really excited when I bring the Delorean by. I wonder if he will cut me a deal.

The tint will help but there still is a coating that reflects the infrared to the outside surface of the glass. That is the type of windshield I would buy to replace mine just to keep it cooler in the summer. Yes I have black interior.

Even the window switches will get hot if the sun hits them.
    Dave M vin 03572

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast