FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Increasing power to center AC vents

Banned

My VIN:    16510 and carbureted

Club(s):   (GCD) (SEDOC) (DCUK)

This is a dumb question but do windshield covers help much to keep it cool in the car. I might get one for when I leave the car in parking lots if it will help.

My VIN:    03572

Quote Originally Posted by stevedmc View Post
    This is a dumb question but do windshield covers help much to keep it cool in the car. I might get one for when I leave the car in parking lots if it will help.
    Yes it keeps it cooler
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

My VIN:    16409

I've got the UVS100 Heat Shield from CoverCraft. I really like it, it's custom cut for the DeLorean. Here's one of the online sites you can order it from.

http://www.carcoverusa.com/Covercraf...n-Shields.html

Here's a link to CoverCraft's own webpage about the windshield cover.

http://www.covercraft.com/windshield_heat_shield.htm

It has a bunch retailers that sell the UVS100. CoverCraft does not sell its products directly apparently. You have to go through one of their retailers. Honestly, just click through a bunch of them to find the best price with shipping (supercarcovers.com has free shipping). I even got the vinyl bag to store it in.
    Last edited by Chris 16409; 06-12-2011 at 04:18 PM.
    Chris Miles

For Better or Worse I own a DeLorean!
    1983 Grey Manual, VIN #16409, Fresno, California

"Former Delorean owning Guru" Spittybug's Avatar

My VIN:    Formerly 2329

Dave is absolutely right about the Eglass. While screens really help when the car is parked, their use is frowned upon when driving I have a light grey dash cover that helps reflect some of the sunlight/heat as I'm driving, but if you stick your hand under it, the black dash is still tooooo hot to touch. Just like the thin foil radiant barrier that goes in attics, I wonder if something comparable could be affixed to the underside of the dash cover? That way you'd reflect the non-visible spectrum of energy too? The air conditioning load that cooling that mass of hot vinyl must consume is probably very, very large.
    Owen
    I.Brew.Beer.

My VIN:    02613

Club(s):   (DCF)

I like this idea -- and it will make placing my footwell lights easier. (I plan on re-doing it to make the light more even.) Good job, Steve!

Farrar
    3.0L, automatic, carbureted

at one point i think caps for the a/c vents were available from one of the vendors. I thought DMC cali, but I'm not positive.

if you don't feel like forking over however much it costs for a custom cover, you can get one of the basic foil ones from autozone or wherever and cut it to size pretty easily. I've had good results with mine. Fits so well, actually, that I don't even need to use my sunshades to secure it in place.
    Formerly "fidgety"
    '81 DMC-12, #2147

My VIN:    3997

Quote Originally Posted by jbreeden View Post
    at one point i think caps for the a/c vents were available from one of the vendors. I thought DMC cali, but I'm not positive.
    DMC-CA did sell them for awhile. A customer of their's named Brian Brios was fabricating the Air Vent Caps. I don't know if they are in stock any longer or not.
    Living The Dream Since 2005 - VIN#3997

I tried the tennis balls and tried them, but I had some foam lying around so I cut two plugs that fit the air box. I wanted to eliminate the black plastic air duct on the drivers side so the tennis balls wouldn't work for that. I like the look foam better then the tennis ball anyway.
    Attached Images
    Chris Miles

DMCH sells them on their website. Here is the link:

https://www.delorean.com/store/p-104...lugs-pair.aspx

DMC-CA must still have them in stock as well.
    Chris Miles

My VIN:    03254

It was DMCH and they are pretty nice with the DMC logo. I will take a pictures soon and post it.

I don't use them anymore because I fixed my AC and used spray foam to seal around the vents increasing the flow. But I do put them in place for car shows, so that nobody gets the idea that the vent hole is a trash receptical when the door is open.

A good running system will push out plenty of air from all of the vents. Of course my system is now essentially new after I blew one of my 28 year old hoses and shortly after that I blew the back off my compressor. The only old part left is the evaporator. I also decided to stay with R12, knowing it would run colder. It wasn't too expensive since one of our club members has all the correct AC equipment.

Dan

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast