FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Increasing power to center AC vents

Banned

My VIN:    16510 and carbureted

Club(s):   (GCD) (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by dhaney View Post
    Understood and that is personal preference... but a good quality functional AC will cool the entire passenger compartment in a matter of minutes and keep it that way, so there is no need to block off any of the vents.

Dan
    Not in the south and especially not in Baton Rouge. In fact, one guy reported it got so hot in Houston that his cup holder melted. He tried to blame it on DMCH for leaving his car in the sun.

My VIN:    03254

Quote Originally Posted by stevedmc View Post
    Not in the south and especially not in Baton Rouge. In fact, one guy reported it got so hot in Houston that his cup holder melted. He tried to blame it on DMCH for leaving his car in the sun.
    That was me and it is true, the car was SITTING IN THE HOT SUN, on a concrete slab in the middle of a concrete jungle. It was not being driven around with the AC on. It was DMCH that left my car sitting all day every day in the hot sun for 7-9 weeks...

I can promise you that since 1985 that was the only time my car has spent more than one day in a row sitting in direct sunlight.... Hell even in Gettysburg I found a shade tree to park it under and in Vegas we were in a covered garage....

And yes the cup holder was brand spanking new when I took my car to them... But I do agee the true root of the problem with the cup holder lies with the manufacturer...

Back on topic... although I've never had my Delorean in Baton rouge or even anywhere in la, I've spent a lot of time in Louisiana in the Summer months all the way from NO to Morgan City, Lafayette (Yes I've eaten at the Blue Dog ) and New Iberia and even passed through Baton Rouge a few times and every rental car I've had has been nice and cool.... so I KNOW a good working AC system will certainly cool the entire inside of the car even in the "SOUTH"!

But as I tried to say... I understand the personal preference of having it blow in your face...

Dan
    Last edited by dhaney; 06-14-2011 at 09:34 PM.

Banned

There is a huge difference between a short trip to the store and driving a car for several hours that has already had a chance to cool down. If you were simply driving through Louisiana your car already had the luxury of a cool interior.

My AC cools the whole car just fine as well but after baking in the sun it does take a few minutes longer to cool the whole car vs when it has been sitting in the shade. I would much rather the vents blast cold air in my face while I am waiting for the whole interior to cool down.

There is a huge difference between a short trip to the store and driving a car for several hours that has already had a chance to cool down. If you were simply driving through Louisiana your car already had the luxury of a cool interior.

My AC cools the whole car just fine as well but after baking in the sun it does take a few minutes longer to cool the whole car vs when it has been sitting in the shade. I would much rather the vents blast cold air in my face while I am waiting for the whole interior to cool down.
    I don't know why you want to fight with me but last I checked..... NO to Lafayette was almost 3 hours driving....Add to that the fact that I would spend several days there driving around the state for hours on end visiting various oil & gas equipment suppliers... Lafayette to Morgan City... more than an hour one way... Or you go to Houma from Morgan City and then drive from there back to Lafayette... 2 hours.... I agree short trips are different but don't you think I would get plenty of those as well?? From an office site to a resturant for lunch as an example... From the hotel to the airport... Trust me I have spent plenty of time in Louisiana and Houston humidity including a period of 1 year and 4 months where I literally commuted to Houston for work. I got on a plane on Monday morning... grabbed a rental car and went to work all week... and got back on a plane to Denver on Friday. Every night I drove the 4 miles from the office to my apartment and regularly took trips from there to Rice University to work out or to resturants and the like... Trust me I understand and really dislike hot and humid...

As I said TWICE already.... I certainly understand the personal preference of having the AC hit you in the face!

Dan
    Last edited by dhaney; 06-15-2011 at 12:10 PM.

My VIN:    03572

I still think the difference in AC in the D is due to the direct sun light heating up the dash. Maybe just the angle of the windshield or the fact the glass is not like todays car glass.

My daily driver (2005 Malibu) takes a good 10 minutes driving with it's AC on MAX to cool the car down after sitting in the 100 degree summer sun. The D may take a half hour to cool down.

Both are probably the same time on a cloudy day.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

Banned

I don't know why you want to fight with me
    Its not a fight. I just don't think it is fair to compare the design of a poorly designed 30 year old car to a modern car with years of development behind it. These cars suck and I do whatever I can to make mine better. Try driving a Delorean in 104 degree heat with a perfect AC (and no window tint) that has been sitting in the sun for hours and tell me how you like it.

I almost forgot to mention that most modern cars have windows that you can open for a few minutes to let some of the hot air out. We don't really have that luxury in Deloreans. The windows are so small that you practically have to be a basketball player to succeed in throwing trash out the window.
    Last edited by stevedmc; 06-15-2011 at 01:50 PM.

I almost forgot to mention that most modern cars have windows that you can open for a few minutes to let some of the hot air out. We don't really have that luxury in Deloreans. The windows are so small that you practically have to be a basketball player to succeed in throwing trash out the window.
    I personally feel my car with R12 gets colder quicker than my daily driver. Obviously the space in the Delorean is smaller...

But I conceed that generally you are right modern cars have better windows and are more efficent at moving air... But a bit of tint for the windows and a good working AC and that is the best you can do.

As far as letting the hot air out, we've got something even better than a big window to let the heat out, Gullwing doors!! Ever notice that when your car is closed up and you open the door how much hot air hits you in the face.... It escapes right away as you open the door.

Dan

Banned

As far as letting the hot air out, we've got something even better than a big window to let the heat out, Gullwing doors!! Ever notice that when your car is closed up and you open the door how much hot air hits you in the face.... It escapes right away as you open the door.

Dan
    I have never noticed this. Maybe I will start driving on the highway with the doors open to see what happens.

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Have you considered installing a solar powered ventilator?
    I guess the window mounted ones are out of the question for a D, w/o making a custom mount to keep the rain out. But, if it's all that bad, you can always find a good place to add a vent hole...

My VIN:    2964

How about after putting the foam in, then wrapping the holes with some cork tape??
    Billy C. VIN: 2964

"Trying to Live the Dream!"

"If you're gonna own a DeLorean, why not build it with some style?"

http://www.facebook.com/billy.chingas.7

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast