FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Delorean auto parts/ John Hervey hot air dam - How is it held into place?

My VIN:    16336 (SOLD)

Delorean auto parts/ John Hervey hot air dam - How is it held into place?

Crazy question, I know. I have one sitting in my living room, and thought maybe I was missing something. On the pics on his website, It shows two little metal tabs holding the bottom of the air dam

These lil tabs (which btw look like scrap pieces of hose clamp from what I can see) do not come with the air dam.

Last year at Celebration, it was 94 degrees and I killed a fuel pump on the way home. I wanted to make sure this year the same thing doesn't happen, so i'd like this installed, but I don't want it popping off on the highway.

Anyone have any tips on installing this thing? I also don't want air getting behind it, causing it to flap about, or worse... hum... lol
    One of DMCTalk.org's original admins

Mainly lurking, just passing through. Still enjoying reading about everyone's progress.

With advance apologies for not actually answering your question: The fuel tank gets hot because the coolant pipes run directly underneath it. It'll be worse on a hot day, yes, but has anyone actually taken any measurements as to the effects of the "air dam"?
    Martin Gutkowski
    -------------
    Very part time DeLoreaner...

Quote Originally Posted by DCUK Martin View Post
    With advance apologies for not actually answering your question: The fuel tank gets hot because the coolant pipes run directly underneath it. It'll be worse on a hot day, yes, but has anyone actually taken any measurements as to the effects of the "air dam"?
    No apologies necessary, Martin. I was curious about this too, because it seems it would have been more beneficial to have that open to allow air in there, but people I talked to on the old forum swore it was the best thing to put on, since it was a popular issue.

Mainly lurking, just passing through. Still enjoying reading about everyone's progress.

"Former Delorean owning Guru" Spittybug's Avatar

My VIN:    Formerly 2329

Mine simply has 4 sheet metal screws along the bottom edge, going into the crumple thingy. Never a problem.
    Owen
    I.Brew.Beer.

My VIN:    Former owner of 1098

Club(s):   (DCF)

My first car had this dam, and I'm convinced that it helps keep the tank cool. I believe it was held in with screws along the bottom instead of hose clamps.

If you think about it, the theory makes sense. Prevent the hot FL air (which gets even hotter as it flows through the radiator) from blowing over the fuel tank which is resting on top of hot coolant pipes. Even if it makes a 5 degree difference, it helps.
    Brandon S.

2014 Honda Civic EX
    2007 Volvo S60R

My VIN:    02261

Club(s):   (PNDC)

That piece of metal is soft enough to bend into an ‘S’ shape. Now lay the ‘S’ down horizontal and it acts as two hooks combined into one.
    One half of the hook supports the black rubber Hot Air Dam from below.
    The other half of the hook hangs onto the lip / ledge of the forward part of the epoxy coated frame.

The length of the piece of metal is 10 to 12 inches (25 to 30 cm). You can find it in the plumbing section of your favorite hardware store.
    I used that same soft metal to make a bowl shape to hold my one inch tweeters in place for my DeLorean radio speakers. I installed the tweeters where the original 3-1/2” speakers go under the dash pad.
    Please see Hot Air Dam pictures below.
    P.S. John Hervey should have included the pieces of metal with the Hot Air Dam at least he did with mine.
    Attached Images
    Mark Vanyo
    Links to DeLorean related web sites!
    http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?19...s-Part-I-of-II.

Quote Originally Posted by outatym2001 View Post
    That piece of metal is soft enough to bend into an ‘S’ shape. Now lay the ‘S’ down horizontal and it acts as two hooks combined into one.
    One half of the hook supports the black rubber Hot Air Dam from below.
    The other half of the hook hangs onto the lip / ledge of the forward part of the epoxy coated frame.

The length of the piece of metal is 10 to 12 inches (25 to 30 cm). You can find it in the plumbing section of your favorite hardware store.
    I used that same soft metal to make a bowl shape to hold my one inch tweeters in place for my DeLorean radio speakers. I installed the tweeters where the original 3-1/2” speakers go under the dash pad.
    Please see Hot Air Dam pictures below.
    P.S. John Hervey should have included the pieces of metal with the Hot Air Dam at least he did with mine.

Wonderful explanation. thank you very much. I was kinda wondering why i didnt receive the pieces of strap, but luckily I have a roll of it in my tool box. Definitely appreciate all the help!

My VIN:    06513

Club(s):   (DCN)

When I bought my hot air dam from John while visiting him he was kind enough to also provide the strips that make up the clamps.
    However I was not sure it would stay in place so I drilled a hole through each strip and into the front lower edge of the front frame extension.

Though we don't have really hot summers like in the south of the US even driving my car over there didn't heat up the fuel as it keeps the passing wind from going over the top of the fuel tank.

Martin however is also right that a lot of heat occurs at the cooling pipes on each side of the fuel tank.
    We could do with some temperature insulation there as well since these pipes are closed in by tank and tank plate.
    Any thought on the latter?
    Welmoed
    Black D 1981-11 sold
    Toyota Prius III 2009-07 (sold)
    Mazda MX-30 (BEV) 2020-09

085.jpgZip ties. Drill two holes in the hot air dam(heat shield) about six inches apart and 3/4 inch up from the bottom. Run two industrial strength zip ties through them and around the frame. This way there is no need to penetrate the frame with screw holes.

Rod

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Crazy question, I know. I have one sitting in my living room, and thought maybe I was missing something. On the pics on his website, It shows two little metal tabs holding the bottom of the air dam

These lil tabs (which btw look like scrap pieces of hose clamp from what I can see) do not come with the air dam.

Last year at Celebration, it was 94 degrees and I killed a fuel pump on the way home. I wanted to make sure this year the same thing doesn't happen, so i'd like this installed, but I don't want it popping off on the highway.

Anyone have any tips on installing this thing? I also don't want air getting behind it, causing it to flap about, or worse... hum... lol
    Last edited by rddmc; 03-03-2012 at 11:29 AM.

I also used two white nylon washers on the front side of the hot air dam (could not find black ones). I also drilled a hole between the zip tie holes and pushed a long fir tree through which rests on top of the frame lip. Both of these are probably overkill and unnecessary. My heat shield has been in place for several years and has remained secure.

Rod

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast