FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: Delorean auto parts/ John Hervey hot air dam - How is it held into place?

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_Von_Bron View Post
    Great info Martin, thanks.
    As the fuel tank plate hides the coolant pipes near the tank a household based material as mentioned would hopefully not perish as it wouldn’t be attacked by the elements.
    http://lmgtfy.com/?q=polyurethane+chemical+resistance

Is the tank held in place by the plate, I.e. when the plate is removed, will the tank fall or is it secured beyond being wedged in foam pads?
    The tank is pretty tightly wedged and can't come out until the coolant pipes are removed. I've never not needed to pry it out from the pointy end.
    Martin Gutkowski
    -------------
    Very part time DeLoreaner...

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_Von_Bron View Post
    Great info Martin, thanks.
    As the fuel tank plate hides the coolant pipes near the tank a household based material as mentioned would hopefully not perish as it wouldn’t be attacked by the elements. Is the tank held in place by the plate, I.e. when the plate is removed, will the tank fall or is it secured beyond being wedged in foam pads?
    As long as the tank is not full and has never been removed, it should stay in place if you remove the bottom cover. DO NOT ATTEMPT TO DRIVE WITHOUT THE COVER UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES! One owner did and the tank fell out even though it seemed very tightly wedged in. Ruined the tank. There is no need to remove the tank unless you need to make repairs to the frame or the epoxy is badly peeling because you have brake fluid leaking all over and you want to repaint the frame. When the tank was installed they greased up the foam pads to make it easier to install. The grease hardened and acts like glue after 30 + years making it difficult to remove the tank.
    David Teitelbaum

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by DCUK Martin View Post
    http://lmgtfy.com/?q=polyurethane+chemical+resistance

The tank is pretty tightly wedged and can't come out until the coolant pipes are removed. I've never not needed to pry it out from the pointy end.
    Yeah - the tank is hard to get out when you want to get it out. Also to answer Chris' question - the tank area is exposed to the elements - all water that runs off the windshield lands on the tank and comes out of the triangular vents shaped into the tank cover. You don't want to use open cell foam in that space as is it will just hold water in there all the time and you will end up with corrosion issues.
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

Quote Originally Posted by DMCMW Dave View Post
    You don't want to use open cell foam in that space as is it will just hold water in there all the time and you will end up with corrosion issues.
    Pipe insulation is closed cell. If not sure, scrunch it up under water and see if it acts like a sponge or just wants to float.
    Martin Gutkowski
    -------------
    Very part time DeLoreaner...

My VIN:    05255

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    As long as the tank is not full and has never been removed, it should stay in place if you remove the bottom cover. DO NOT ATTEMPT TO DRIVE WITHOUT THE COVER UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES! One owner did and the tank fell out even though it seemed very tightly wedged in. Ruined the tank. There is no need to remove the tank unless you need to make repairs to the frame or the epoxy is badly peeling because you have brake fluid leaking all over and you want to repaint the frame. When the tank was installed they greased up the foam pads to make it easier to install. The grease hardened and acts like glue after 30 + years making it difficult to remove the tank.
    What kind of numpty would try driving the car with the panel removed

My question was to know if I needed to provide support as the panel is removed so that gravity didn’t win. I’d like to remove my cover, add some pipe insulation and as per Martin’s valid point, if it doesn’t hold water then it shouldn’t create a problem for the chassis. I’ll make sure the tank is empty and will provide support during the fitting of pipe insulation as the tank has been removed already recently for other reasons.

I’ll also change the fuel pickup filter too as it looks fine but may be past its best.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4