FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Cleaning up wiring post EFI conversion, questions regarding certain wiring

Not a DeLorean Guru

My VIN:    01049

I used electrical tape for my current EFI harness, it looks wonderful

I'm planning on re-doing that harness as well. While my setup works very nicely right now, my engine bay looks very sloppy, and I'm not a fan of that.

I'll be sure to post before/after pictures of my clean-up.
    -Mike

My engine twists my frame.

1981 DeLorean, Carb LS4 swap completed
    1999 Corvette, cam/headers/intake manifold, 400 rwhp
    2005 Elise, stock
    2016 Chevy Cruze

My VIN:    02613

Club(s):   (DCF)

The original covering wasn't even electrical tape -- in my engine compartment anyway, only the ends of the wraps had adhesive on them. I could tell which wiring insulation had been damaged and re-covered by a previous owner/mechanic because although it looked the same it had sticky goo underneath. :P

I used Dave Delman's handy pinout of the bulkhead connectors to determine what I could remove, unwrapped everything, and stuck what was left in split wire loom, fixed with cable ties. (I did use silicone tape for extra heat protection on the wires that go down the front and sides of the engine, though it's underneath the loom so you can't see it.) The end result is not gorgeous, but it looks OK to me. Now if I had been really dedicated to having things look good back there, I would have shortened a lot of the remaining wires by removing several inches, then soldered everything back together and wrapped it up -- but that's a long project for another day.
    3.0L, automatic, carbureted

"Former Delorean owning Guru" Spittybug's Avatar

My VIN:    Formerly 2329

Quote Originally Posted by opethmike View Post
    VERY nice looking harness. Planning on making more? I'd love to buy one; I could just remove the old harness instead of having to unwrap, remove wires, re-wrap.

I noticed in the list there that you only listed one oil sensor. There are two; you're wiring for both, right?
    One oil light (main harness) and one oil pressure sender (passenger side harness). I've considered making more, but I'm finding that different people have different ideas of which way to run it and different connectors on sensors (PO butchery in some cases) and that makes it difficult to commoditize them..... I got the loom from Fry's, used standard bullet connectors that I crimped down to the dimensions of the ones in our plugs, and slide them right on the pins in the bulkhead connector. The key is using electrical tape at the places where looms join or wires exit (stability) and covering the joint with shrink tubing for aesthetics.
    Owen
    I.Brew.Beer.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2