FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Fascia Paint Codes/Considerations for shop

My VIN:    16655

Fascia Paint Codes/Considerations for shop

I'm going to be taking my fascias in to be refinished in the next few weeks. I'd hoped to do it myself, but time and equipment constraints seem to lean toward it being better to just have them done for me (best quote I've had from a place I'd trust was $600 for both). I'd like to be able to give them all the paint code information to make things as easy for them as possible- there used to be a lot more that I could find on the old forums, but the only one that I've been able to find has been the Ditzler DBU/DAU 33584 code. Does anyone have the newer/equivalent ones?

Also, the specifics of what finish is appropriate for my '83 would be good, as well as any special considerations/instructions- I'll be making sure they know the paint will need to be able to flex a good bit to be able to reinstall the fascias, and I'll be having them paint in the logo on the back one (I consider this a highway safety feature- before I painted it in myself, people would get a LOT closer to the rear bumper trying to read what it said ), but anything else that might be easy to overlook would be good to know.

I'll be removing them myself and bringing them in- there's not a shop within the state that I'd really trust doing it for me, and I'll be doing some work on them (fixing eyebrows, replacing broken studs on the lower rear...) before taking them in.

Thanks!

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Banged your VIN'S mom

I will pull them up later today or tonight for you.
    http://dmctalk.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=90&dateline=161808992  9

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    I will pull them up later today or tonight for you.
    Thanks!

My VIN:    2964

Whas there 2 different paints between the early cars and later cars?? I remember an old thread, mentioning that the early cars fascia were slight darker in color than the later cars.
    Billy C. VIN: 2964

"Trying to Live the Dream!"

"If you're gonna own a DeLorean, why not build it with some style?"

http://www.facebook.com/billy.chingas.7

Quote Originally Posted by 1batt4u View Post
    Whas there 2 different paints between the early cars and later cars?? I remember an old thread, mentioning that the early cars fascia were slight darker in color than the later cars.
    That's what I remember something along the lines of as well- or at least that they'd been a higher-gloss for one set of cars and a more matte finish for another. Not that my car is anywhere near a contender for a concours car (the carb kind of stands out from stock ), but I'd prefer having the right paint and finish for it if I can since I'm re-doing it anyway...

My VIN:    4456 - Owner since March 2011

Club(s):   (PNDC)

If memory serves me... I beleive the Concours talks about high gloss vs more matte finish and a change mid year on the '81s.

The Concours manual is available on-line somewhere and is a good resource if you just wann know how your car was originally.

Steve

Senior Member - Owner since 2003 Patrick C's Avatar

My VIN:    1880

Club(s):   (DCO) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Ashyukun View Post
    Does anyone have the newer/equivalent ones?
    Just had my '81 fascias repainted with 2011 Jeep Mineral Grey Metallic paint. Came out great!

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Banged your VIN'S mom

I checked my database and I could not pull the formula. I will get them for you in plenty of time though, I just have to look harder. I do know that the code is under "fleet vehicles" but after opening the "Delorean" folder, there was nothing in it. I know it's there, I just have to look. If worse comes to worse, I will get the formula on my next trip to the paint store(I go once a week).
    Last edited by Michael; 06-09-2011 at 04:18 PM.
    http://dmctalk.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=90&dateline=161808992  9

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Thanks Ron, I'm pretty sure that's what I was thinking of.

I'm hoping to have the Saturn out of the garage tomorrow and the DeLorean in, so if I'm quick about it I may be able to get the rear fascia to the paint shop on Wednesday to get started on it- not that I really have a whole lot of reason to hurry, since all the work that I'll be doing before they go back on will take a while, and I don't even have all the parts in yet...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast