FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Need help with paint codes

My VIN:    2681

Club(s):   (DMA)

Need help with paint codes

Ok, so my fascia guy called me and said he received the paint for the code I gave him, which was the original DAU33584. He said the color looks very dark, like darker than it should be, and that it is very expensive. Good thing is, we can return it if we want no problem. So I'm wondering if anyone knows of a cheaper alternative that would also be a standard paint code he can simply mix at his autobody shop. I keep hearing about this Jeep Mineral Grey, as well as some others. Does anyone have actual codes for some paints that may be used as a substitute for the original. I'm not concerned about the fascias being concours in terms of color match, I just would like to be close. Thanks!

My VIN:    02613

Club(s):   (DCF)

I get plenty of useful results using "fascia paint" in the search box. Seen this thread yet?
    3.0L, automatic, carbureted

I have, but that thread doesn't tell me the modern paint code for any of these paints, which is really what I'm after.

My VIN:    02613

PPG DBC33584 is no longer valid?

Edit: Did you see this?

"The reason its hard to find in the PPG Access files is that for some reason it is under "Fleet" vehicles. I found the code pretty easily, but it only gives the formula for DBU, if you want to use DBC I have it as well. I took my D to my paint supplier and had them put the camera to it. The camera works very well, but if I were putting panels together(Say if I were painting a door panel which would have to butt against a factory fender, then I would be hesitant to use it without testing it first, but for a Delorean, it should be fine as the bumpers are 20' apart) I didnt get the one for DAU as I dont think anyone is using single stage anymore. The formula for PPG DBU is as follows:

633 Med. Alum 137.2
    647 Black 245.4
    660 Blue 253.4
    624 Violet 256.4
    695 Clear 512.9

This is a PPG formula for the DBC 2000 base line of paints, which I think is much better.( I must say I was pretty close on guessing the formula )

649 Clear 83.4
    1690 Crs. Alum. 303.6
    1687 Med. Alum. 400.4
    1683 Black 483.8
    DX 685 flat 497.2
    1607 Blue 502.8

These mixing formulas will make 1 pint which should be enough to do one bumper. These are Cumulative amounts. Your clear should have the proper amount of flat agent in it depending on your taste. I don't see any need for a flex agent, but again its up to you."
    3.0L, automatic, carbureted

Senior Member - Owner since 2003 Patrick C's Avatar

My VIN:    1880

Club(s):   (DCO) (DCUK)

I have the 2011 Jeep Mineral Grey metallic paint on my fascias and love them. Pretty close to stock.

I recently had mine repainted using just a standard color matching swatch at a paint shop. It was very inexpensive and looks fantastic. http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?24...light=DeLorean. If you'd like to know what I used I'm sure I could dig up the can and get the code for you. I don't remember if I said it in the thread when I posted, but I also opted for a matte finish as opposed to the standard gloss clear coat.

My VIN:    3004

Not to side track, but I wanna repaint my bumpers too. What estimates are you guys getting for the work?

Mine was about 500 bucks for front and rear fascias. I did not paint the originally unpainted polyurethane. But I don't imagine it would be too much more.

Hey thanks for the responses. I think we are going to go with the Jeep Mineral Grey, my guy found the code for it and the price is very reasonable. Plus, he can mix it at the shop himself saving everyone a lot of hassle. As for cost, we are being charged between $550-$600 for everything including all the sanding and prep work. The guy is a friend of mine though so I'm sure we are getting a little bit of a deal.

I have a Torque Wrench... tyb323's Avatar

My VIN:    2399

Does this friend want to do mine ?
    Tyler Butler
    Vin 2399 - July 81 Black Interior, Automatic

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast