FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Oil Cooler, Anyone install one? Where?

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Dangermouse View Post
    When nullset did his frame off on 2930 (see the Freeside threads in the SEDOC group area for pictures) he found an oil cooler attached to the front of the AC condenser, which is in turn mounted to the radiator.

However it was felt that this was too far away from the engine to be very effective. It is an AT btw.
    It was also a cooler for the AT fluid not the engine oil but I have seen the same style cooler used for engine oil. In the past 13 years I've removed at least 4 of these coolers from various Ds and 2 were due to catastrophic failure of the cooler/plumbing, very messy. IMO, I do not see the value of using these coolers on DeLoreans.

Builder of the first Delorean Time Machine

My VIN:    2072

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Dangermouse View Post
    When nullset did his frame off on 2930 (see the Freeside threads in the SEDOC group area for pictures) he found an oil cooler attached to the front of the AC condenser, which is in turn mounted to the radiator.

However it was felt that this was too far away from the engine to be very effective. It is an AT btw.
    That cooler was for the transmission fluid. It's now been removed.

If only I had a time machine to go tell the P.O. that, if he wants to do that, it's fine, but don't CUT THE F@#%ING OEM HOSES IN HALF WHEN THERE ARE PERFECTLY GOOD FITTINGS YOU COULD USE! $100 down the drain for new hoses……

--buddy

Bill, you're never gonna find DeLorean oil capacity and pickup info in Volvo manuals because the DeLorean has a Renault crank case, sump and pickup. The sump and the spacers on the pickup are (almost) duplicates of the Alpine GTA's units. Other cars using the same engine have a shallower steel sump (Renault Espace, 25 etc). GTA turbos have a heat exchanger on the oil filter. Attached are pages from the parts manual showing one type of remote oil filter housing and and oil cooler which goes directly onto the block.

I can supply the oil cooler no problem, but it requires the use of a later type shorter starter motor so there's room for the hoses. It's not really an oil "cooler" - it's more about getting the oil to warm up as fast as possible and preventing it from getting too hot. The water piped through it is the heater matrix feed.

oil1.jpgoil2.jpg
    Martin Gutkowski
    -------------
    Very part time DeLoreaner...

My VIN:    1768

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

while ive never had one of those water-oil heater fail, i dont like that the coolest it can make your oil is the near 200' water temp, thats not much temp differential.

My VIN:    03572

Quote Originally Posted by vwdmc16 View Post
    while ive never had one of those water-oil heater fail, i dont like that the coolest it can make your oil is the near 200' water temp, thats not much temp differential.
    So what is the typical oil temp?
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

My VIN:    16336 (SOLD)

There was a turbo car in SoFla with an oil cooler plumbed into a filter relocation unit.

It leaked.
    One of DMCTalk.org's original admins

Mainly lurking, just passing through. Still enjoying reading about everyone's progress.

My VIN:    1768

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    So what is the typical oil temp?
    180-220' f
    sane as engine coolant

My VIN:    #01748 #20011 #10902

I have now a oil cooler for my turbo delorean, it's a sandwitch plate under the oil filter from where 2 hoses starts and goes to a small radiator i put just on the right, about in line with the black plastic under the passenger quarter panel.
    I know it's a bit of concern, cause it COULD leak or worst, damaging while on the road...
    but I want to have an oil cooler cause i experienced that turbo's PRV suffer more easy of low oil pressure, mainly if you put one or two oil usage like turbos, and the temperature really goes high if you push.

Another solution i have in mind, and maybe i will change to it, and i think it will be also enought for a stock aspired engine, it to put a sandwitch plate under the oil filter and take the 2 hoses to a big professional heat exchanger putted in line with the water hoses on the right, where the automatic cars has from stock the heat exchanger for the transmission, and use it to cool the engine oil, but for this i want to get a bigger aluminium 3 row radiator for the water (now you can get just 3row brass or 2row alu), wich is going made by a guy in france at the moment

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2