FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Shifter Position

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Shifter Position

My car sat for many years, had it's interior trashed, and probably replaced with parts from other cars. Ever since I've owned the car, the auto shifter's Drive position is closer to 2 on the console. Which prompts all my passengers to say "you know you're in 2, right?"

I've driven other auto trans Ds, and I'm jealous of the shifter gliding right into D. I've had my cars console out twice, and can't find any adjustment room. Any suggestions on how to correct this?
    ~Eddie, VIN 16908

My VIN:    0934

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by EdR5150 View Post
    Ever since I've owned the car, the auto shifter's Drive position is closer to 2 on the console.

I've driven other auto trans Ds, and I'm jealous of the shifter gliding right into D. I've had my cars console out twice, and can't find any adjustment room. Any suggestions on how to correct this?
    Follow these instructions from the factory manual. The linkage adjustment hardware is not directly at the gearshift lever. It's accessed from beneath the car and further back.

You can track the gear selector cable forward from the transmission to find the area of interest.
    Attached Images

My VIN:    01643

Club(s):   (DCF) (DCO) (DCUK)

Careful though, you move it too far and you can loose park. If it's an early vin, sometimes there are issues with being able to get into both park and all the way back to first. Sometimes you get one or the other. Most choose park.

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

It is also possible you will have to adjust the cable inside the transmission where it threads into a nut. It is an adjustment problem and will take some "fetteling" (fitting and adjustment and tinkering). Even the early shifter mechanism can be made to work well. Make sure the detents for the shifter mechanism happen at the same time as the detents in the transmission.
    David Teitelbaum

Why does the Selector Linkage Adjustment matter? I disconnected the linkage from the bellcrank and started adjusting it, but it seems to have no effect on the where the shifter clicks into place. I think I would only use this procedure if I had problem with my shift points.

So, back to my question. The shifter clicks into place in the housing:

105427.JPG

which does not match up with the PRNDL on the console. Is there a way to adjust the angle of the shifter? Is there an adjustment I can make with the position of the housing?
    ~Eddie, VIN 16908

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Why does the Selector Linkage Adjustment matter? I disconnected the linkage from the bellcrank and started adjusting it, but it seems to have no effect on the where the shifter clicks into place. I think I would only use this procedure if I had problem with my shift points.

So, back to my question. The shifter clicks into place in the housing:

105427.JPG

which does not match up with the PRNDL on the console. Is there a way to adjust the angle of the shifter? Is there an adjustment I can make with the position of the housing?
    Not really. Assuming that your late VIN car really has the late VIN shifter, you already have the improved design. The early cars were worse! Do you have the one piece shift handle with the ears cast into the handle?

Look on this page:

http://store.delorean.com/c-294-4-6-...t-linkage.aspx

You can see the design differences on item #6.
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

I have the later shifter, with ears cast on the lever.
    ~Eddie, VIN 16908

Bump. I've got the center console out, so I'm revisiting this. Looking for suggestions before I try to build my own "front panel."
    ~Eddie, VIN 16908

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Bump. I've got the center console out, so I'm revisiting this. Looking for suggestions before I try to build my own "front panel."
    See if you can slide the whole body back on the frame. (Kidding - sort of). I think this is a case of trying to align something that's attached to the frame (shifter) with something that is attached to a relatively non-precision part (the console) and that is what is causing the issue.

The shift linkage should be adjusted so that the detents are correct, then deal with the PRNDL alignment by attempting to move the console or the console plate. Which as you are finding isn't all that easy.
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Refer back to my previous post #4. The inner cable threads into the linkage inside the transmission. You may have to move that to get the adjustment you need. To get in there you have to drop the oil and the pan. Also make sure the black plastic cover in the gearshift is moving smoothly and not getting jammed. It's the rectangular piece with a round hole in it that moves when you move the gearshift knob. While you are at it you should probably relubricate all of the moving parts in the shift linkage.
    David Teitelbaum

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast