FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: 3.0 Conversion step by step

My VIN:    01643

Club(s):   (DCF) (DCO) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by DPI JOSH View Post
    That will never happen. The only problem with the PRV is owner neglect. You will never see a delorean specific vendor shoeing in Ls engines. Especially not DPI. Casting blocks and heads to my development specs. Pro PRV for life.
    Just as a philosophical question, at what point do PRV modifications and changes, make the engine just as non-stock as an engine swap?

I mean, it's one thing to run a stock engine for the sake or originality, but if you change everything that was stock on a PRV (pistons, intake, EFI, new head castings, different cams, turbos, exhaust, etc.), are you still really able to say its "original"? Is it worth all that to still be able to say "it's still a PRV"?

Just something I've thought about a lot. For me the answer was, "no it's not worth it, 6 bolt main bearings here I come! ". I suppose for some though it is worth it.

Hell, truthfully, (this is all just my opinion) given John DeLoreans history, to me a GM V8 always seemed to be more in line with what the original vision was for the car. Especially if you read through some of the old documentation and biographies where he talks about his dissatisfaction with the output of the PRV platform. Just sayin

Not trying to put anyone down, just stating someone I think about a lot. I'm curious what other people think.

My VIN:    5778

Club(s):   (DCO) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas R View Post
    Just as a philosophical question, at what point do PRV modifications and changes, make the engine just as non-stock as an engine swap?

I mean, it's one thing to run a stock engine for the sake or originality, but if you change everything that was stock on a PRV (pistons, intake, EFI, new head castings, different cams, turbos, exhaust, etc.), are you still really able to say its "original"? Is it worth all that to still be able to say "it's still a PRV"?

Just something I've thought about a lot. For me the answer was, "no it's not worth it, 6 bolt main bearings here I come! ". I suppose for some though it is worth it.

Hell, truthfully, (this is all just my opinion) given John DeLoreans history, to me a GM V8 always seemed to be more in line with what the original vision was for the car. Especially if you read through some of the old documentation and biographies where he talks about his dissatisfaction with the output of the PRV platform. Just sayin

Not trying to put anyone down, just stating someone I think about a lot. I'm curious what other people think.
    Actually wouldnt the rotary engine used in the Mazda more inline with JZD's "vision"? As how it could be mid mounted? Low weight and the hp is only limited by how much fuel you can put into it?

--Doug

My dum dum question. If the D's transmission (according to tech drawings, documentation etc) would crap itself at anything over 280 hp, why would someone do an engine swap without replacing the transmission first. Now mind you I have a Stage 1 (from what I see in my car), that is around 160hp, and while 280 sounds alot, compared to current cars, its not, (my 2007 Sonata, I took from 240 hp, threw in a K&N Airfilter, chip upgrade and a 35 - 75 hp Nitrous Express bolt on kit, and now the sucker runs from 325hp to 360 hp). My point is, why would you try to put in an engine that may crap out your tranny without replacing the tranny as well? Or are you backing off on the hp?

I don't mean to offend, but is it for easier part selection, better reliability or what?

Thanks for helping the newbie to understand.

--Doug

My VIN:    2065

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    If anyone is interested in this, I am currently working on a step by step install of a 3.0. Im putting my engine together right now So I can add to this thread in a month or so. Just the engine related assembly for now.
    Look forward to this....

My VIN:    11408

Club(s):   (DMWC) (TXDMC) (DCUK) (DOI)

Quote Originally Posted by OZ DMC View Post
    Look forward to this....
    pm me with any questions... but that engine is long gone. Ran it all last season, on to bigger things now

Supercharged 5.3L LS4 + Porsche 6spd
    [email protected]
    lsdelorean.com
    I am not affiliated with Delorean Midwest in anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by aotmfilms View Post
    My dum dum question. If the D's transmission (according to tech drawings, documentation etc) would crap itself at anything over 280 hp, why would someone do an engine swap without replacing the transmission first. Now mind you I have a Stage 1 (from what I see in my car), that is around 160hp, and while 280 sounds alot, compared to current cars, its not, (my 2007 Sonata, I took from 240 hp, threw in a K&N Airfilter, chip upgrade and a 35 - 75 hp Nitrous Express bolt on kit, and now the sucker runs from 325hp to 360 hp). My point is, why would you try to put in an engine that may crap out your tranny without replacing the tranny as well? Or are you backing off on the hp?

I don't mean to offend, but is it for easier part selection, better reliability or what?

Thanks for helping the newbie to understand.

--Doug
    If you are referring to nick's transmission... it is not stock! Mine is not either.

[email protected]
    lsdelorean.com

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    If you are referring to nick's transmission... it is not stock! Mine is not either.
    What did you do to it so it could handle the extra torque/hp above 280? Did you drop in a completely non-DeLorean transmission? Do you have a blog or site I could look at?

Just curious because if I ever want to increase my HP from a stage 1 I don't want to reinvent the wheel.

Thank you!

--Doug
    FB Page: #ProjectDelorean https://www.facebook.com/ProjectDelorean88mph
    Twitter: @projdelorean

"Back Before the Future"--the story before the story of a crazy dude trying to timetravel...kindof like expedia...only bumpier...

Im around 350 lb ft at the crank. I will be around 400 when I get around to putting in a cam. I am using the regular delorean transmission with Toby's upgraded coupler. Other than that it is what you would find in any other stock 5spd delorean.

The issue I ran into was the clutch. This has been a bit of an adventure for me that is not yet complete.
    The stock Valeo clutch was slipping in my application, not enough clamping force. There are drop in clutches that hold more power than the stock delorean unit, look into the Renault Alpines. The Alpine GTA (2.5 turbo) clutch is a small upgrade but not really worthy of 280lb ft. Ed at Delorean Europe can get you one of these clutch setups. The Alpine A610 (3.0 Turbo) should handle low 300s but it is hard to come by and very expensive.

I am going an alternative route inspired by Ed's VR6 swaps using a Kelvar re-lined delorean clutch disc and a 350Z pressure plate. This should handle 500 lb ft at the crank, which moves the weak point back to the transaxle (Yikes!)

Hopefully this was helpful.

[email protected]
    lsdelorean.com

Not a DeLorean Guru

My VIN:    01049

As someone who has been there, done that, upgrade your throttle body (larger size), air intake tubing (larger, again), and get a larger, aftermarket manifold such as a FAST before you go cam. Do the heads too. Cam should be dead last on the list.

I've been involved in several of these with C5 cars, and the difference between going just cam, and going full air induction pathway is absolutely enormous. Not only more power & torque, but the under the curve area will be smooth, stronger, and most importantly, much more streetable.

If you can afford it, buy all of that stuff as a package. Tons of Corvette vendors will sell you precisely setups like that, and will work with you on determining the best combination of components. Even with a mild cam, you are going to have to upgrade your pushrods, rockers, and lifters if you expect them to live very long.

*cough* adapter plate *cough*
    -Mike

My engine twists my frame.

1981 DeLorean, Carb LS4 swap completed
    1999 Corvette, cam/headers/intake manifold, 400 rwhp
    2005 Elise, stock
    2016 Chevy Cruze

Interesting reading in this thread....

I've experience using the DM Speed/Density engine management system on an even firing three liter.
    Made for a nice runner. I used a Volvo B-6304 throttle body on the B-280f intake elbow... TPS needed adjustment.
    The three liter being an even-firing engine will have a perfectly smooth idle. More displacement and (likely) more static compression ratio with much improved intake manifolding and better exhaust manifolds over the odd-firing engine means more torque and power. Hydraulic tipped lash adjusters means no valve adjustments. The late engines have a nice engine management system and accessory drive. All easily adapted for use in the D. I used it in my Volvo 240.

We're I to do the project today I'd use MS or another programmable system.

I've turbocharged my three liter PRV six in the Volvo rallycar. It got Electromotive. Big big power in that one.

I'm interested in efforts that have been put into continued development of the PRV six.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast