FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Fascia painting front and rear color

Fascia painting front and rear color

I have painted my front and rear fascia's in the past. I would like to change the color. What DMC owners out there have painted their fascias using a spray paint from a local store? If so what brand and color did you use for the silver and black?

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Banged your VIN'S mom

I have long thought the fascias would look better a lighter shade. If I were to choose a color for looks and not accuracy, I would go for a silver, but no so light that it would appear lighter than the stainless. I would Mask the headlight and tailight recesses and keep those the factory gray, but for the outside I would paint the silver color, then score it with sandpaper to give it grain, followed by a satin clear coat to lock in the detail. This would bring the stainless look all the way to the ends of the car.
    http://dmctalk.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=90&dateline=161808992  9

i was thinking of using stainless steel paint. any thoughts?

My VIN:    Formerly 0774, Formerly 3165 twice

Club(s):   (DMA) (LINY-DMC) (DCUK)

My car has the glossy clear coat on the fascias. I personally like the matte finish better because I think it blends better with the rest of the car.

Having said that it might be a cool custom look with stainless or aluminum colored paint. Worst case you could always do it again

Chris Piazza
    1GR8STRY
    Owner of 3165 by default

My friends think I'm nuts jawn101's Avatar

My VIN:    02100

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    I have long thought the fascias would look better a lighter shade. If I were to choose a color for looks and not accuracy, I would go for a silver, but no so light that it would appear lighter than the stainless. I would Mask the headlight and tailight recesses and keep those the factory gray, but for the outside I would paint the silver color, then score it with sandpaper to give it grain, followed by a satin clear coat to lock in the detail. This would bring the stainless look all the way to the ends of the car.
    Michael -

I can tell you that #2100's fascias were painted a light silver in an attempt to match the stainless. This failed. So what you end up with is a paint job that looks like a failed attempt to color match, instead of the darker "accent" colors. I expect this is why DMCL chose to go with a noticeably darker shade in the first place, to avoid the "bad match" look. I personally am very, very unhappy with how the fascias look and can't wait to get around to having them re-painted properly.

This is the best pic I think I have of my car next to a proper one (I'm in the foreground) - see what I mean about the color?
    Attached Images
    Jon
    1981 DMC-12 #02100. July 1981. 5-speed, black, grooved w/flap.
    restoration log, March 2011 to present
    full and detailed photo restoration log

My VIN:    6679

Quote Originally Posted by jawn101 View Post
    what you end up with is a paint job that looks like a failed attempt to color match
    I was about to suggest the same thing. It is hard enough at the best of times to colour match plastic/fibre bumpers to painted metal panels - I can only imagine any attempt to match stainless panels would look like a bad colour match no matter how good a job it is. Sadly your picture demonstrates exactly that

Then again, beauty is in the eye of the beholder - or my density has brought me to you... something like that
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Tillsy View Post
    I was about to suggest the same thing. It is hard enough at the best of times to colour match plastic/fibre bumpers to painted metal panels - I can only imagine any attempt to match stainless panels would look like a bad colour match no matter how good a job it is. Sadly your picture demonstrates exactly that

Then again, beauty is in the eye of the beholder - or my density has brought me to you... something like that
    Lol, she's still a beautiful car, just with bad makeup. Too bad it will cost so much to get her cleaned up

She's still my density.
    Jon

My VIN:    4534

I always thought the darker ones looked like a bad attempt at matching the stainless. The light ones I thought were just faded.

With today's paint technology you'd think might be easy to get a good shop to mix some paint to match the stainless. It is something I'm going to think about when the time comes for Red.
    Red
    VIN 4534
    Born - October 1981
    Brought back to life - July 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Kenny_Z View Post
    I always thought the darker ones looked like a bad attempt at matching the stainless. The light ones I thought were just faded.

With today's paint technology you'd think might be easy to get a good shop to mix some paint to match the stainless. It is something I'm going to think about when the time comes for Red.
    I invite anyone who thinks that matching the steel with paint is a good idea to come check out mine. I'll buy you lunch and show you what a bad idea really looks like. But act soon, cause I'm painting those bad boys as soon as I get the chance!
    Jon

My VIN:    03238 Grey & Black Hybrid - Auto - work in progress Former owner 10902 - Universal 93 Raffle Car

Dupli-Color BNS0604 Precision Grey (W40) is a very close match to the original...

I have it on my wife's car. Can try to take a photo of both side by side next weekend.

I tried a brighter silver on a fascia 5 years ago, it was terrible. Its unlikely you will get showroom results with paint from a can, but with minimal experience I got pretty satisfactory results with the Precision Grey.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast