FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Thread: Fascia painting front and rear color

Fascia Painting

Whatever color/shade you select be sure it is bumper paint as it must be flexible.

My VIN:    3425

Quote Originally Posted by Byrne H&A View Post
    Whatever color/shade you select be sure it is bumper paint as it must be flexible.
    Thank's for the advice. I will have a Professional to do the paint. I'm in charge of sanding (almost done at this time) and preparing.
    1981 DMC-12 16000 miles manual tranny
    1979 Porsche 928
    1970 Porsche 911T 1986 turbo look
    1992 Toyota Mr2 GT Turbo RHD

My VIN:    3937

Quote Originally Posted by jawn101 View Post
    I can tell you that #2100's fascias were painted a light silver in an attempt to match the stainless. This failed. So what you end up with is a paint job that looks like a failed attempt to color match, instead of the darker "accent" colors. I expect this is why DMCL chose to go with a noticeably darker shade in the first place, to avoid the "bad match" look. I personally am very, very unhappy with how the fascias look and can't wait to get around to having them re-painted properly.

This is the best pic I think I have of my car next to a proper one (I'm in the foreground) - see what I mean about the color?
    Quote Originally Posted by DMCMW Dave View Post
    IMO the problem with "trying to match the stainless" is that no paint will reflect the same as the stainless under varying lighting. You may be able to get it to match under one light condition, but if you happen to do it on a cludy day it will look wrong in the sun, and differently wrong under artficial light. I've seen quite a few attempts as well and it never seems to work.

Which is, as someone noted, why DMC didn't do it that way although they tried (see the early prototypes!).
    I must have missed this thread on the first go around, but seeing as it got revived recently, I thought I'd chime in.

It looks to me like Jon and I had POs that shopped at the same paint store. Or at least had the same taste. Mine are also of the "tried to match the stainless" variety. They look great in some light and el crappo in others.

Dave's bang on with the varying light comment. Here are a couple pics that try to show some of the "technicolour"... oooh, so 80s

Thanks to Byrne for pointing out the "bumper paint" requirement. Mine are at least 6+ years old with this paint (longer than I have owned the car anyway) and a couple corners are peeling up. Not sure what type of paint was used, but I'll keep a look out for the better alternative next go around.

IMG_1419.jpgIMG_0428.jpgPic 6.jpgIMG_0690.jpgIMG_0725.jpg

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

My friends think I'm nuts jawn101's Avatar

My VIN:    02100

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    I must have missed this thread on the first go around, but seeing as it got revived recently, I thought I'd chime in.

It looks to me like Jon and I had POs that shopped at the same paint store. Or at least had the same taste. Mine are also of the "tried to match the stainless" variety. They look great in some light and el crappo in others.

Dave's bang on with the varying light comment. Here are a couple pics that try to show some of the "technicolour"... oooh, so 80s

Thanks to Byrne for pointing out the "bumper paint" requirement. Mine are at least 6+ years old with this paint (longer than I have owned the car anyway) and a couple corners are peeling up. Not sure what type of paint was used, but I'll keep a look out for the better alternative next go around.

IMG_1419.jpgIMG_0428.jpgPic 6.jpgIMG_0690.jpgIMG_0725.jpg
    Nice!! Yeah, that is dead on what mine looks like. I hate it. I really, really need to bite the bullet and just get the paint done, I have been putting it off for years. I just hate letting some random shop touch my car, which is why I've done everything myself or with other owners.
    Jon
    1981 DMC-12 #02100. July 1981. 5-speed, black, grooved w/flap.
    restoration log, March 2011 to present
    full and detailed photo restoration log

[QUOTE=delorean928;126499]
    Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    Yes sir, I do. I deemed my fascias too warped so I put as little money into them as I could, but still have them somewhat respectable looking. My car was previously red, so they had to be painted. Another user here, "Jack" has the black fascias.

Coool I did'nt think it would be that easy to see a D with black facias. I'm not sure that I prefer that over the grey ones but I like it

I've undone my front and I'll have to remove the rear one and I'm asking myself what I'll do. I think I'll go for Jeep mineral metallic gray
    the previous owner of mine painted them a dark metallic color. i think it looks great.delorean fascia (1).jpgdelorean fascia.jpg

My VIN:    3425

Questions, I'm at the final steps before painting my fascias. I must have the black parts painted. Should the black paint be glossy? Is there a specific paint beside beeing flexible for the black pars?
    Should I finish with a clear coat over the gray and black?
    1981 DMC-12 16000 miles manual tranny
    1979 Porsche 928
    1970 Porsche 911T 1986 turbo look
    1992 Toyota Mr2 GT Turbo RHD

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5