FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7

Thread: DeLorean amp installation

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by GS450-Junkie View Post
    Got everything hooked up. The complete system seems kind of .... eh. !
    Do you have the rear side panels installed? If you are just listing to the rear speakers in "free air" they will sound "eh".

When you installed the front ones, did you space them so they don't push the dash up?
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

My VIN:    00778 and Formerly 06770.

Quote Originally Posted by DMCMW Dave View Post
    Do you have the rear side panels installed? If you are just listing to the rear speakers in "free air" they will sound "eh".

When you installed the front ones, did you space them so they don't push the dash up?
    Rear panels are not installed yet. Wanted to decide on speakers before i sealed them up for good. Passenger side seatbelt wont retract so I need to replace that as well before I install. That rear panel job Seems intimidating to me so I am dragging my feet a bit on it.

Front speakers are raised a bit so maybe they are shaking the dash a bit. Maybe the replacement dash will perform better. (If that is possible ) still might head via the footwell route.

The thing that sucks is that there are quite a few adjustments to make on the stereo for a better sounding system. But if you are running a battery cutoff switch you get to redo all these settings each and every time you want to drive the car....

Banned

My VIN:    1798

Quote Originally Posted by GS450-Junkie View Post
    Rear panels are not installed yet. Wanted to decide on speakers before i sealed them up for good. Passenger side seatbelt wont retract so I need to replace that as well before I install. That rear panel job Seems intimidating to me so I am dragging my feet a bit on it.

Front speakers are raised a bit so maybe they are shaking the dash a bit. Maybe the replacement dash will perform better. (If that is possible ) still might head via the footwell route.

The thing that sucks is that there are quite a few adjustments to make on the stereo for a better sounding system. But if you are running a battery cutoff switch you get to redo all these settings each and every time you want to drive the car....
    Yep, as Dave said, listening to a free air coaxial isn't going to sound all that spectacular - mid-low and bass output are greatly reduced when driven in free air

And yeah, there are a lot of 'set-up' functions on your head-unit. Depending upon how you have the head-unit set up, you could be limiting your subwoofer. If you're not pleased with the sub output or frequency response, then you may want to try this - if you have the RCAs hooked up to the head-unit's rear/sub pre-amp outs, then set the head-unit to treat the output as rears (R) as opposed to set to sub. That way, you'll be sending a full range signal to the amp and then you can exclusively use the amp's low-pass filter and gain to control the sub, instead of imposing a double filter and double gain control upon it.

Was toying with idea of putting 6x9s and an amp behand rear parcel shelf wall. How much space is there between the wall and and the panel?

Banned

My VIN:    1798

Quote Originally Posted by papanoel View Post
    Was toying with idea of putting 6x9s and an amp behand rear parcel shelf wall. How much space is there between the wall and and the panel?
    Plenty of room for an amp, but not enough to mount a set of 6x9s to where you'll get a good response from them without either moving the rear wall forward some OR flaring out the speaker mount locations some - unless they're making an extremely shallow depth 6x9 that sounds good that I'm personally unaware of (which is completely possible). There was a member of the forum who was building a fiberglass replacement wall that fared out the mounting locations so that you could mount a set of 6x9s properly without having to bring the wall forward, however, I don't think that he's doing that anymore.

Instead of 6x9's, you may want to consider mounting a 6.5" component speaker set - either two way or three way. Not only should they be easier to mount in the existing space without any radical modifications, but they should also provide you with better sound quality in the end.

Best of luck!

Quote Originally Posted by NightFlyer View Post
    Plenty of room for an amp, but not enough to mount a set of 6x9s to where you'll get a good response from them without either moving the rear wall forward some OR flaring out the speaker mount locations some - unless they're making an extremely shallow depth 6x9 that sounds good that I'm personally unaware of (which is completely possible). There was a member of the forum who was building a fiberglass replacement wall that fared out the mounting locations so that you could mount a set of 6x9s properly without having to bring the wall forward, however, I don't think that he's doing that anymore.

Instead of 6x9's, you may want to consider mounting a 6.5" component speaker set - either two way or three way. Not only should they be easier to mount in the existing space without any radical modifications, but they should also provide you with better sound quality in the end.

Best of luck!
    Thanks. Yeah i was looking at the 6x9 Infinity Kappa 693.11i. says it needs a top mount depth of 3 3/16". Obviously i need a bit a room on top of that.
    I guess my other choice is the round 6 3/4" Infinity Kappa 62.11i. Only needs 2 1/8" if top mounted. My understaning was even though they are elipitcal speakers they perform 6x9s perform better than 6.5" speakers. But i'm no audio engineer.

Protodelorean was the user you are thinking of who was building those rear parcel shelf speaker boxes but he never updated anyone on his project and hasn't responded to any PMs. I guess life got in the way as it sometimes does.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7