FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: DeLorean amp installation

My VIN:    6248

Club(s):   (PNDC)

I'm currently running a Rockford Fosgate PBR300X2 behind my rear parcel shelf to power two 6x9s back there. I'm thinking of getting a DMC-CA subwoofer box, bridging this amp to power it, and buying a PBR300X4 to power my 6x9s and my front 3.5"s (currently powered by the head unit). The PBR300X2 at 2x4Ohms is actually 100W RMS per channel, while the PBR300X4 at 4x4Ohms is 75W RMS per channel, so this seems like it should be fine to me. (My 6x9s are 75W RMS and the 3.5"s are 30W RMS -- and I'm not a loud listener.)

These two amps are exactly the same physical size. Has anyone tried to hide a PBR amp behind the glove box? There's a gap in there that seems like it would be just about right. Not much airflow back there I'm sure, but there can't be much airflow between my rear parcel panel and the pontoon, either.

I could also imagine just attaching the amp to the bottom of the glovebox itself, although even with strong double-sided tape I'd be worried about it getting kicked.

Maybe I should install them in the seats for free "heated seats"

My VIN:    3299

Quote Originally Posted by kobachi View Post
    Maybe I should install them in the seats for free "heated seats"
    Tongue-in-cheek comment, I know, but I wouldn't do it unless you want a fried amp from lack of air circulation D: ...
    DMCTalk.org Moderator

Actual snippet of a conversation from Sept 2013:

Me: Eddie, I can't wait to get the car back when you're done with it.

Eddie: Yeah, you'll be able to give the car gas, and it won't be - like - embarrassing....

Quote Originally Posted by DeLorean03 View Post
    Tongue-in-cheek comment, I know, but I wouldn't do it unless you want a fried amp from lack of air circulation D: ...
    I was ~40% serious Maybe I could thermally adhere it to a plate of aluminum to act as a heatsink/back-warmer

I pulled out my glovebox last night. A PBR300X4 fits behind it no problem. It has about 2" airspace on top and plenty on all other sides. And probably has more airflow than behind the rear parcel wall. The only problem is finding a way to stick it down.

My VIN:    not yet available

In my younger years, I used to install car stereo systems and I have been thinking on how to install a simple setup in a Delorean, if and when I get mine.
    Couldnt you just build a box with two 10 inch subs and flush mount the amp between the subs? or maybe just one 12 inch sub and one amp? Carpet it to match the interior for a smooth clean look?

Here is an example I found online, I know this one is in a trunk, but it gives you an idea.. seems pretty simple to me. one thing I would worry about though is the alternator not being strong enough, so you may need a power capacitor too, if you run high wattage.
    Just a thought..
    sub-amp.jpg

My VIN:    16823

Club(s):   (DMA)

That is pretty close to what I will be doing in my car. A single 10" sub and an amp all flush mounted on the rear parcel shelf and wrapped in carpet. However, I believe a lot of people use that shelf and can't afford to give up the space.
    Anthony

1983 DMC-12 VIN 16823
    2014 BMW M5

My VIN:    16419

for me i basically took up my whole trunk with the amp. I removed all the components in the storage area behind the drivers seat and made that a completely sealed dynamatted box. placing all the electronics on the top section behind the seat. There i was able to fit a 10" sub.
    Then again , the stereo I have installed in my D is a little more advanced and aggressive than the standard audiophile who just wants some power to their JBL or whatever speakers.
    Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by jfirios View Post
    for me i basically took up my whole trunk with the amp. I removed all the components in the storage area behind the drivers seat and made that a completely sealed dynamatted box. placing all the electronics on the top section behind the seat. There i was able to fit a 10" sub.
    Then again , the stereo I have installed in my D is a little more advanced and aggressive than the standard audiophile who just wants some power to their JBL or whatever speakers.
    Do you have photos of your interior. would like to see your setup.

My VIN:    00778 and Formerly 06770.

So today I am attempting to install my VERY FIRST EVER sub and amp setup. I really am unsure of some things and have read about 1,000 posts on the topic but I still doubt my work. Please check my progress before I attempt to fire it up.

I'm running a very small JL Audio amp (under the passenger seat) which has power connected to the (+) terminal on the battery and it also has an inline 50AMP fuse about 12" from the battery. Ground wire is run to the (-) side of the battery.

RCA plugs run from the SUB output on the back of the deck to the input on the amp. Then RCA plugs from the output on the amp run to the 8" sub in the cubby door. The sub has spade connectors on it so I'm not sure how to make that connection quite yet.

The small blue remote wire runs from the amp to the back of the radio head unit and connects to the ?? wire. I think this needs to be a switched wire, perhaps the red wire coming out of the radio?

My three questions (as long as everything else looks good) are:

My new radio has a 10AMP fuse on the back of the head unit. The inline fuse near the battery is 50AMPS. Is that too big?? It's what came with the sub/amp install kit, no idea if that is the proper size.

Where exactly does that small blue remote wire supposed to go if there is no "remote" jack on the back of the radio?

How to connect the amp to the sub. Do I hack up some RCA cables and put spade connectors on one end?

Thanks.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast