FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: DeLorean amp installation

Here's mine in the trunk area. Love it and out of the way, but still can get to it if needed.
    Attached Images

My friends think I'm nuts jawn101's Avatar

My VIN:    02100

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

I was really hoping it would fit behind the sub itself. I still think it could be doable

Your solution on the back wall seems pretty elegant too, but it looked like you zip tied your audio cables to your throttle cable? That might not be a great idea.

BTW, it's not a question of whether you get hot, it's the amp you have to be worried about.
    Jon
    1981 DMC-12 #02100. July 1981. 5-speed, black, grooved w/flap.
    restoration log, March 2011 to present
    full and detailed photo restoration log

My VIN:    3390

That is not the throtle cable, its stero cable that came with the kit. That amp WILL NOT fit in the hole with the sub because the Lambda ECU is in the way. IF that was moved then yes it would fit. It would also fit by the engine real latch if it was removed.

The firewall mount worked out good.

Its a good amp, good power, easy install.

do my video links still work?

Quote Originally Posted by QuadcityDMC View Post
    That is not the throtle cable, its stero cable that came with the kit. That amp WILL NOT fit in the hole with the sub because the Lambda ECU is in the way. IF that was moved then yes it would fit. It would also fit by the engine real latch if it was removed.

The firewall mount worked out good.

Its a good amp, good power, easy install.

do my video links still work?
    In this image here it looks like your blue stereo wires are tied to the black throttle cable, coming through the firewall (lower left corner)...

Videos require a facebook login. Good to hear the amp powers the sub well! When I get mine I may just have to rethink my installation plans
    Jon

I guess it is, good eye, thought it was just a black tie wrap. I however did not remember doing that.

My VIN:    10270

I've been running my amp in this spot (behind the parcel shelf) for about 6 years now, no real problems except that a few weeks ago I had to go back in and space the amp away from the firewall just a mm or two, and add lock washers to the mounting nuts. After driving around for about 15 minutes, the fiberglass must expand just slightly, and I had this squeak that I couldn't place. After relubing everything on the top half of the car, it finally dawned on me that it might be the amp squeaking against the firewall.

I'm running a fairly large amp (22" x 10") so this might not be a concern with a smaller amps.
    Luke S :: 10270 :: 82 Grey 5-Speed :: Single Watercooled T3 .60/.48 :: Borla Exhaust :: MSD Ignition :: MS3X Fully SFI Odd-fire EFI :: DevilsOwn Methanol Injection

Uploaded a video

Not the best but here it is.

Young Padawan With The DeLorean kings1527's Avatar

My VIN:    6575

Quote Originally Posted by QuadcityDMC View Post
    My budy helped me install the amp today.

It was stright forward amp install. drilled through the bottom of the battery box to get the wires down. There is a spot right infront of the fuse holder with nothing there.

Hooked the radio wires up as needed and ran them on the passanger side seat along carpet.

Removed rear glove box door and installed the sub.

Hardest part was finding a good spot for the amp. To big to put in with the sub, or up by the trunk release. So we noticed the fire wall has a 1 in thick pad and if it was cut to the shap of the amp it would fit right in. So we cut it and drilled it to the back firewall, I then put high heat sealer on the back of the screw heads that went into the egine bay. I would say there is about a 1/4 - 1/2 gap between the back panel and the amp.

We drove around and I did not get hot.

Here are some photos and videos.

After everthing has been installed.

Then just a video of DMCMW 2-Stage.

Great install! I'm going to be tackling the same install and equipment in a few days. Some of your pics weren't loading. Would you mind posting them again or PM'ing me with them? I was hoping you had some good shots of the amp mount behind the parcel shelf, how you modded the battery box, and any others you might have. I have the small JL sub and I'm looking at the same location.

Thanks!

Alex Abdalla

Late 1981, Grey 5-speed, 75k miles. Built 11/11/81

A stock-look with modern, reliable technology.

A full restoration with step-by-step "what I did" is in progress at www.delorean6575revisited.blogspot.com

My VIN:    03238 Grey & Black Hybrid - Auto - work in progress Former owner 10902 - Universal 93 Raffle Car

Quote Originally Posted by DMCMW Dave View Post
    I don't believe that you can fit an amp in the cubbyhole with that sub enclosure in there.
    I have. Its not a tiny one either. It doesn't fit flat, goes in at an angle so I still have to permanently mount it but with the right amp its certainly do-able...

Quote Originally Posted by TTait View Post
    I have. Its not a tiny one either. It doesn't fit flat, goes in at an angle so I still have to permanently mount it but with the right amp its certainly do-able...
    By all the measurements I did, I genuinely believe the JL XD300 will fit in the cubby along with the DMC-CA sub enclosure. Things keep coming up and I haven't bought the stuff yet though. But I agree with Tom here that it really seems doable.
    Jon

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast