FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Thread: Pipe of Agony O-Ring and Securing Ring Prep?

My VIN:    005058 000927

Club(s):   (AZ-D) (DMA) (DOA) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by WelmoedJ View Post
    Thanks for the info, Rob.
    The pipe's fit is no issue at the moment.
    I now know where to get it, once I need to work in that area again.

For now I stick to the phrase "If it aint broke, don't fix it".
    Since that post was almost 3 years old I didn't really think you were searching all this time. I put it out there as a FYI for anyone who may need one now...or later. Your fix is probably permanent anyway....maybe!
    Rob Grady

My VIN:    1052

Just for the files: a friend of mine (who has more experience with cars, but he is not professional) managed to put the brass ring and the o-ring back without removing the mixture unit (or anything else). The engine then started easily and worked well during a 10-mile test drive. (Previously it always stalled 2 seconds after starting, so it is pretty sure that it was the air leak at the `pipe of agony` that caused the problem).

Happy Holidays to all Delorean-owners and fans!
    Attached Images

My VIN:    11789

This is an oldish thread that I came across while researching issues around the reinstallation of the pipe of pain. I found the installation to be pretty easy insofar as I removed the air filter and the air metering disc underneath. I then placed a small led light inside the unit and the orifice for the pipe is as plain to see and can be guided in very easy.
    I'm finding it difficult to get the rubber U bend pipe all lined up - to be honest the rubber u bend pipe seems such a ridiculous shape - but I guess it's just me - if anybody has a close up photo than that would be great ?
    Currently resurrecting Vin # 11789 - One of the batch of 50 exported to the Middle East in 1982.

One of those purists you keep hearing about. sdg3205's Avatar

My VIN:    thirty two 'o five

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Do you have the brass pipe oriented properly? The rubber u-pipe should be easy, but if the brass pipe isn’t oriented properly nothing will fit properly
    Dave

Here, somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by sdg3205 View Post
    Do you have the brass pipe oriented properly? The rubber u-pipe should be easy, but if the brass pipe isn’t oriented properly nothing will fit properly
    Hi Dave.
    I have the pipe installed in the fuel distributor orifice. I have rotated the pipe and there seems to be no orientation that will enable the pipe to connect using the rubber tube. let me see if I can post some photos ...its as though the rubber pipe wants to be 90 degrees not a U pipe? P3112510.jpgP3112511.jpgP3112515.jpg
    Currently resurrecting Vin # 11789 - One of the batch of 50 exported to the Middle East in 1982.

Yes, that pipe needs to be oriented so the elbow is pointing towards the fascia and the opening towards the firewall
    Dave

Here, somewhere.

My VIN:    03572

After you get the hose clamped onto the pipe, you really never have to remove that hose from the pipe again. You just pull off the end on the idle motor if you need to remove the pipe again.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

I’m both your pictures it is incorrect
    Dave

Here, somewhere.

Ok guys I think I have sorted it out ....... and this is where a complete newb to Deloreans and K jetronic will hold his hands up and say I f'd up big time.

So just as a bit of background - I've head this car 12 months - bought as a retirement project - I retire December 2018 - and I spend a few hours on it each week.
    It came partly disassembled hasn't run since the 90's and I've been renewing all the stuff that has to be renewed - a lot of stuff!

I've dry fitted all the new fuel lines, leads, coolant pipes,hoses etc after cleaning out the VOD, and the pipe of pain/agony was my last "hook up".

I have a two by four across the rear of the frame (all the rear fascia has been removed) and I was peering down at the p of pain.
    It seemed to want to connect with the CSV and infact it would if the rubber pipe was 90 degrees and not a U.

It reminded me of the many times I've disregarded the instructions when assembling flat pack furniture :-)

So I have to go through the bits tonight and see where it is. So I made a mistake - and will learn from it. Shoot, 12 months ago I had no idea what a VOD was!

Ironically, I had given to me a brand new bosch 0280 140 114. Some sites list it as fitting the DeLorean - but it looks different to me ?

Got home and rummaged through my bits :-) and found the missing part that makes everything make sense. Thank you guys for the quick responses and for "putting up" with my lack of knowledge on the K Jet. The pipe agonises no more and fits like it should.
    So in reality I was trying to attach the pipe of pain bypassing the idle control valve P3122523.jpgP3122538.jpg

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5