FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Gas vapor smell while driving.

My VIN:    3390

Gas vapor smell while driving.

Is it normal to have gas smell from the gas tank cap after driving for awhile? With the windows rolled down I can smell it in the car. I know the tank has to breath out the vapor but I though there was a vapor hose that ran to the back left body tube.

After driving I can unscrew the gas cap and the sound stops, but when I screw it back on I can here gas vapor start to hiss out the top of the cap.

Banned

My VIN:    16510 and carbureted

Club(s):   (GCD) (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by QuadcityDMC View Post
    Is it normal to have gas smell from the gas tank cap after driving for awhile? With the windows rolled down I can smell it in the car. I know the tank has to breath out the vapor but I though there was a vapor hose that ran to the back left body tube.

After driving I can unscrew the gas cap and the sound stops, but when I screw it back on I can here gas vapor start to hiss out the top of the cap.
    Check your hose connections going from the tank to the filler cap. I had a vapor hose that was completely snapped causing the same problem. I took the hose into AutoZone and they were able to fix me up with what I needed.

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Time to pull the fuel pump access panel. Make sure you don't have any leaks at the fuel pump boot.
    eBay selling at it's best I can tell you stock Delorians and quite a bit of slugs so the Turbo is a super nice up-grade.
    K-Jet: Causing electrical issues since November 5th 1955

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

There is a vent hose that goes from the tank to the rollover valve (located next to the filler, you can't see it without taking off the cover plate). I've seen that hose get crimped by the cover plate.

If that hose is crimped, or the rollover valve was to stick closed, pressure would build up in the tank (from heat) and pressurize the tank (the excess pressure is supposed to be vented to the carbon can in the left rear pontoon and burned by the engine). If the tank gets pressurized the next best place for the fumes to vent is probably the fuel pump boot, which happens to be located right next to the drain hole for the windshield which also feeds directly into the air intake for the heater/airconditioner.
    Last edited by DMCMW Dave; 03-27-2012 at 10:52 PM.
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

My VIN:    3937

Sounds like Dave and the others have given you the whereabouts on the vent hose, but to answer your question of "is it normal to smell fuel in the car?" and I would say no. I don't smell fuel at all in my car even right after filling up. I think if you sort out the vent line blockage, you won't smell fuel either.

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

One of those purists you keep hearing about. sdg3205's Avatar

My VIN:    thirty two 'o five

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Avoid "topping off" too.
    Dave

Here, somewhere.

My VIN:    01643

Club(s):   (DCF) (DCO) (DCUK)

Make sure your sending unit cap is tight, very tight. I drove around with that smell for a few years, turned out my cap was just dirty and wasn't compressing the fuel sender gasket so when the gas would slosh around, it would leak out there.

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

All of these are possibilities but the most common problem is the boot holding the fuel pump has deteriorated and is leaking and is full of fuel. Once you remove the access cover and the cover boot you will know right away what the problem is. It is NOT normal to smell fuel and you should investigate, determine the problem and fix it right away. Bet it only is noticeable when you have 1/2 tank or more of fuel!
    David Teitelbaum

Real Cars are Steel Cars xbrules's Avatar

My VIN:    02065

Ignorance can be bliss on occasions, I went for a look at my fuel system just now hoping that my breather had perished.... only to discover my fuel pump is leaking under pressure... just magic... well that answers that question, and also explains my lousy fuel consumption...
    Dave Newbury, 1976 XB Fairmont GS Hardtop 351, 1981 DeLorean DMC-12 #02065

My VIN:    0934

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

After driving I can unscrew the gas cap and the sound stops, but when I screw it back on I can hear gas vapor start to hiss out the top of the cap.
    OK, that last bit tells us that your fuel tank/filler is pressurized at least some of the time. That is abnormal all by itself.

++ See Dave's post #4. Your charcoal canister vent hose and the fuel filler neck should have a direct and normally-open connection, one that prevents pressurization of the tank. A simple air flow test from the canister connection forward with the fuel cap off will verify satisfactory venting or troubles from blockage.

The pressurization suggests that your fuel pump boot and the filler hose atop the tank are intact, otherwise the tank would vent at those connections. If you leave it pressurized long enough you may damage the fuel pump boot. It's not designed to hold significant pressure. Reason enough to remedy the situation, to say nothing of the safety issue of gas vapors around - or in - the car.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast