FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Total Recall......again

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Total Recall......again

eBay selling at it's best I can tell you stock Delorians and quite a bit of slugs so the Turbo is a super nice up-grade.
    K-Jet: Causing electrical issues since November 5th 1955

Banned

My VIN:    16510 and carbureted

Club(s):   (GCD) (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by sean View Post
    This just reinforces what I've been saying. Hollywood has run out of ideas.

Let's see if you bastards can do 90. dvonk's Avatar

My VIN:    loading, please wait...

Quote Originally Posted by stevedmc View Post
    Hollywood has run out of ideas.
    definitely. however, this one does look better than the original... wouldnt take much, i guess.
    Obtain-O-Meter: 128%
    as of 2016/08/04
    0%|====|====|====|====|====50%====|====|====|====|====|100%

My VIN:    2743

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCH) (DCUK) (DOC-UK)

What, it's not in 3D ??
    Dermot
    VIN 2743, B/A, Frame 2227, engine 2320

I don't always drive cars, but when I do, I prefer DeLoreans

http://www.will-to-live.org

No-one is to stone anyone, even, and I want to make this absolutely clear, even if they do say "carburetor"

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by dvonk View Post
    definitely. however, this one does look better than the original... wouldnt take much, i guess.
    The coolest thing about Total Recal wasn't the special effects but it was the story. At the end of the movie you honestly didn't know if the whole thing had actually happened or if it was just a dream.

Special effects can't tell a story and never will. Most special efffects after the 80s (and early 90s) are just plain crap in my opinion. Before the 80s almost all special effects were scale models that people actually built. A stunt double was an actual human being who actually dedicated time training to do whatever was needed in a movie.

Now people don't build stuff for movies and stunt doubles aren't really needed anymore. All you really need is a nerd with a bag of donuts that can create a computer generated stunt double.

The coolest thing about Total Recal wasn't the special effects but it was the story. At the end of the movie you honestly didn't know if the whole thing had actually happened or if it was just a dream.

Special effects can't tell a story and never will. Most special efffects after the 80s (and early 90s) are just plain crap in my opinion. Before the 80s almost all special effects were scale models that people actually built. A stunt double was an actual human being who actually dedicated time training to do whatever was needed in a movie.

Now people don't build stuff for movies and stunt doubles aren't really needed anymore. All you really need is a nerd with a bag of donuts that can create a computer generated stunt double.
    a valid point, and i admit, there is something lost when CG is taken to the extreme (do you hear me, George Lucas?)... but i dont mind CG to make graphics that would be impossible or far too expensive to create in a 'real life' set or model. as far as a visual spectacle, i think the new movie will look more 'realistic,' if that makes any sense.

of course, i will be watching the new one to see if they have the 3-boobed alien prostitute in the bar.
    as of 2016/08/04

Banned

a valid point, and i admit, there is something lost when CG is taken to the extreme (do you hear me, George Lucas?)... but i dont mind CG to make graphics that would be impossible to create in a 'real life' set or model. as far as a visual spectacle, i think the new movie will look more 'realistic,' if that makes any sense.

of course, i will be watching the new one to see if they have the 3-boobed alien prostitute in the bar.
    Those fancy star ships in Star Wars IV were real scale models. The stuff in Star Wars III were nothing more than cartoons.

A cartoon will never look as realistic as a scale model in my opinion. The reason they use CGI these days is because it is cheap and an artist can whip up a space ship in minutes rather than months.

Space Odyssey 2001 is an excelent example of what can be created without computers with a proper budget and effort. This film was released back in 1968 at a time when not just any bozo could whip up a movie. It was done with a huge budget and took years to complete. This film combined an amazing story and the special effects still look far better than anything Hollywood has recently produced.

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

No, I don't think it would take much to top the original.
    eBay selling at it's best I can tell you stock Delorians and quite a bit of slugs so the Turbo is a super nice up-grade.
    K-Jet: Causing electrical issues since November 5th 1955

My VIN:    4456 - Owner since March 2011

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Those fancy star ships in Star Wars IV were real scale models. The stuff in Star Wars III were nothing more than cartoons.
    While it's true much of the dog fighting scenes in Ep III were done digitally, the majority of the film still used practical models and miniature sets built to scale and populated with actors shot in front of green screen.

I would refer you to this book "Sculpting a Galaxy" by head of the ILM model shop, Lorne Peterson.
    http://www.amazon.com/Sculpting-Gala.../dp/1933784032

It's not only full of cool insight behind the scenes but also some great photos of the models.

Cheers.
    Steve
    Cheers
    Steven Maguire

IT'S A TRAP!!!!!

A cartoon will never look as realistic as a scale model in my opinion. The reason they use CGI these days is because it is cheap and an artist can whip up a space ship in minutes rather than months.

Space Odyssey 2001 is an excelent example of what can be created without computers with a proper budget and effort. This film was released back in 1968 at a time when not just any bozo could whip up a movie. It was done with a huge budget and took years to complete. This film combined an amazing story and the special effects still look far better than anything Hollywood has recently produced.
    i heartly agree. my jab at Lucas was for Episodes I, II, and III. i am a dedicated fan of IV, V, & VI, and i feel he forgot his roots while making the prequel trilogy... but i think we have a thread for this somewhere, dont we?

i am a big fan of Stanley Kubrick, and 2001: A Space Odyssey is no exception. i have the Criterion Collection edition on LaserDisc.

we seem to mostly be in agreement... i guess what im trying to say is the original Total Recall kinda sucked. worth a laugh though.
    as of 2016/08/04

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast