FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Found 300 mile car in storage!!!!

My VIN:    Formerly 0774, Formerly 3165 twice

Club(s):   (DMA) (LINY-DMC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by sdg3205 View Post
    That's so cool. Has the window been down the whole time?
    I think so. Until last Friday the driver's door was partially open because someone fliped the latch at some point and no one could figure out how to reset it. I set it back and joked with my boss "see I already have a little time invested in it, maybe we could deduct that from the price"

He didn't find it funny
    Chris Piazza
    1GR8STRY
    Owner of 3165 by default

One of those purists you keep hearing about. sdg3205's Avatar

My VIN:    thirty two 'o five

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Any signs of rodents? Given the nature of the storage in your basement it looks pretty controlled.
    Dave

Here, somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by sdg3205 View Post
    Any signs of rodents? Given the nature of the storage in your basement it looks pretty controlled.
    None that i could see. The underside of the car and the engine bay are full of cobwebs but the interior is near perfect. It's a shame this thing will sit here for eternity but maybe he'll come around.
    Chris Piazza
    1GR8STRY
    Owner of 3165 by default

My VIN:    1768

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

wow, good thing a big box of files hasnt fallen on it in all that time. kinda sad ive driven my car in just one day nearly 4 times as far as that car has ever seen in 30 years

My VIN:    3997

I doubt its 300 miles judging by the condition. The angle drive is probably broken. But maybe its just due to the lighting and lack of a good cleaning. Engine looks pretty oily and dirty for only having 300 miles.
    Last edited by Ryan King; 06-13-2011 at 06:56 PM.
    Living The Dream Since 2005 - VIN#3997

My VIN:    1710

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan King View Post
    I doubt its 300 miles judging by the condition. The angle drive is probably broken.
    I was thinking the same thing looking at the oil splashed all over the bottom & even top side of the engine. The entire left hand side of the engine appears to be bathed in oil. Makes me wonder if it was actually mechanical failure which forced the car into it's 30 year hibernation? Plus, there are other little cosmetic markers which point to more use: the leather on the seats & steering wheel have shrunk and are quite taut. This is almost always from being exposed to body oil & sweat. I'd expect a 300 mile car to still have ripples in the seats; and have steering wheel leather that wasn't shrinking/retracting, etc.

That being said, the car is still extremely tidy. For instance, the coolant bottle is still white/opaque... not yellowed/brown. This tells me the actual mileage is likely still under 10,000. It'd be a dream resto, for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan King View Post
    I doubt its 300 miles judging by the condition. The angle drive is probably broken. But maybe its just due to the lighting and lack of a good cleaning. Engine looks pretty oily and dirty for only having 300 miles.
    The lighting was awful. There was one 60 watt bulb in a pitch black room above the car. As for the mileage I only have the odometer and what I was told to go by. I know it hasn't been registered since 1982. But carfax doesn't go back that far. Either way it will never make a difference because they never sell it for what its worth.
    Chris Piazza
    1GR8STRY
    Owner of 3165 by default

Quote Originally Posted by DMC3165 View Post
    Either way it will never make a difference because they never sell it for what its worth.
    $8,500? Where did you come up with that number? No way will it take 10-20K to bring that car back to life and make it nicer then 90% of it's road going peers. Perhaps your boss would have been better advised to get in touch with Rob Grady and get the car running and prepped properly before being offered for sale. If I was your boss and owned this car and you advised me to drop my pants and sell this car for $8,500 I would have fired your a$$, no question. If this car stays burried it is partialy your fault for the shite advice you gave. My $.02.

Quote Originally Posted by tjd View Post
    $8,500? Where did you come up with that number? No way will it take 10-20K to bring that car back to life and make it nicer then 90% of it's road going peers. Perhaps your boss would have been better advised to get in touch with Rob Grady and get the car running and prepped properly before being offered for sale. If I was your boss and owned this car and you advised me to drop my pants and sell this car for $8,500 I would have fired your a$$, no question. If this car stays burried it is partialy your fault for the shite advice you gave. My $.02.
    Rob Grady gave me that number based on what I told him on the phone conversation I had with him on Friday. And he also said sight unseen 12- 15K to get it road worthy again. Rob also said he had no interest buying it for himself because it would not be worth it right now based on what the market is and what he would have to put into it.

Not for nothing my boss owns a multimillion dollar corp. He's a smart guy and I highly doubt he'll make any descions based on what you call my shit advice. He's got Grady's number as well as DMCH. But trust me neither will make a difference anyway.
    Last edited by DMC3165; 06-13-2011 at 08:15 PM.
    Chris Piazza
    1GR8STRY
    Owner of 3165 by default

My VIN:    2681

Club(s):   (DMA)

Such a shame to see a car that's actually savable just sit and collect dust like that. Just wait though, one of his grandkids is going to go digging in that basement and find it one day, fall in love with it, and we'll have a future owner eventually

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast