FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Found 300 mile car in storage!!!!

My VIN:    ******* 01860 - Legend TT 06068 - VQ35 SC

Club(s):   (DMA)

I also agree with the previous comments. It is a low mileage car, but it is probably more than 300.

After market floor mats? Why would that be on such a low mileage car?

Another interesting thing is the throttle recall plate is installed. Did you check for the other recalls too? I don't know what VIN started getting the recalls at the QAC or at the dealer, but with this low of a vin I wonder if it would have been sold that way. 3965, currently undergoing restoration by Tom and I, has none of the factory recalls done on it. Even still has the blue fan fail relay.

If the recalls are done, I'd say that is further evidence of more than 300 miles. Driving the car one full tank of gas and parking it would not be enough time to get all that work done.

It is a shame when people think they have "gold" with these cars. However, in this particular situation, I don't think the car will be much worse as time goes on.. Unlike cars that are left outside to rot because the owners think they are worth more than they really are.

I don't know your relationship with the boss, but it would be easy to demonstrate what actual value of these cars are.

My VIN:    02378 & 15500 - Previous owner of 4363, 5319, 5692, 10246, 01924, 04389, 03133, 11408, 10989

Club(s):   (LINY-DMC) (DCUK)

Nice find Chris, we appreciate you following up and getting the photos. Another Delorean tracked down. Tough position to be in considering that's your boss. The interior is very nice, the owner should get it out of storage and take it to Rob. He obviously thinks it's worth something and it might be after Rob got it running again.

I miss being 30 minutes from PJ Grady's and stopping by there once a month to see what Rob and Jeremy were working on, however I always seemed to leave with an empty wallet.

Kirk

My VIN:    Formerly 0774, Formerly 3165 twice

Club(s):   (DMA) (LINY-DMC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Malevy View Post

I don't know your relationship with the boss, but it would be easy to demonstrate what actual value of these cars are.
    My time with the car was limited. I did not check for all the recalls. The floor mats you see are cut pieces of red carpet. I can only assume they were put there to protect the floor. I have no idea where the mats are.

My relationship with the owner is good enough where it got me this far. In 30 years no one else who works for him actually got to see the car let alone photograph it. We have a good professional relationship. I'm his top earner for several years now. So he gives me a wide berth. In the end it was my own curiosity that kept pushing the issue and I did finally get to see it hoping I could convince him to sell it. When we left it off today he said "well no one said let's sell the DeLorean" I think he was just curious about the value. But I've waited 10 years to get down there. I can wait a little longer.
    Chris Piazza
    1GR8STRY
    Owner of 3165 by default

My VIN:    04915

This D is worth a lot

Like everyone on this forum I have followed this thread with anticipation. Chris you've done an admirable job of learning about this car but I have to say the car is worth a lot more than $8500 IMHO. Of course any car is worth only what you can get for it.
    This D will need some work of course, but some of the key elements appear new ... the frame looks pristine ... the interior, while dirty, looks new ... the engine compartment, dirty but it looks brand new. While I am always skeptical of a Delorean's mileage, I believe this one; probably had a little over a tank of gas used in it.

The car's worth is in the high teens ... debatable of course.

Good job, Chris.
    Jack Skeens

Thanks for all the feedback everyone. It's always helpful to have different points of view on this. I'd just like to clarify a few points.

First is I didn't in anyway start this thread to debate values. Some seem rather insulted by that but its not what I'm trying to do. Also $8500 was my "as is" offer without attempting to start it. The rest of that sentence was if it runs I would guess its worth somewhere on the high side of $12-15K. But if the motor is locked or you start it and it blows or swallows a valve, then I'm not interested. Also during our conversation they mentioned that they were not interested in putting any kind of money into it at all. We even discussed sending it to Grady's and they were not interested even for an assessment. We also discussed the fact if this was a road ready car the value may be $30-40K range. But we are so far apart. The number of $50K "as is" was tossed around and even that was a "maybe we'd sell it for $50K." It was at that point I basically said thanks for letting me see it. But if anyone here would like to offer 50K for it I'll give you the number.

The other thing a few of you pointed out was some of the updates that were done. I didn't know the throttle linkage cover was not there at the factory. I did want to check for the fan fail relay. But I had about 10 minutes with the car and I didn't want to start pulling stuff apart. Especially after I realized the conversation was going nowhere. If I should get another crack at this. What other updates or things in general should I look for? If I can debunk the 300 mile odometer maybe I can get it cheaper, or wind up unemployed.
    Chris Piazza
    1GR8STRY
    Owner of 3165 by default

50K? Wow I guess it will sit then. It's a shame but there are others that share this car's circumstance.

A gentlemen at a Cars and Coffee in north eastern Ohio approached me about valuing a DeLorean that a family member owns with 50 miles on the odometer, apparently it still has the plastic on the seats and the window sticker in place. Poor thing, but there where a lot of speculative buyers on these things in the mid 80's. The cars are victims of bad investments and delusions.

My VIN:    3997

Check to see what brand the tires are its currently sitting on.
    Living The Dream Since 2005 - VIN#3997

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan King View Post
    Check to see what brand the tires are its currently sitting on.
    The tires are defiantly Goodyear NCT. But having said that I did not check the date code on the tires. I will the next time I can get down there.

This is helpful. What else should I look for?
    Chris Piazza
    1GR8STRY
    Owner of 3165 by default

My VIN:    04915

You may or may not have access to the car again but if you do it would be good to confirm that the odometer reading is correct. Judging the condition of the frame the car hasn't been driven much. If the left front tire could be lifted and the tire spun you could tell if the speedometer/odometer is working. If it is I'd say the mileage is correct. The car probably hasn't had an angle drive or any other part replaced ... key word 'probably'.

EDIT: Also, notice the driver's door seal right on the corner where the rubber usually tears ... that door hasn't been opened and closed many times.
    Last edited by Jacko; 06-14-2011 at 03:35 PM.
    Jack Skeens

My VIN:    16951

Club(s):   (DCO) (DOA) (DCUK)

Really nice find and story.
    On the other hand, I don't quite understand why the previous owner (the dad of your boss if I understand) bought this car if he actually didn't like it at this time?
    Just for fun and try to sale it in the future at a good price?

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast